PDA

View Full Version : enclosed or open trailer?

bettergrass
05-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Since im just starting next year and i run threw the neighborhood now i need to buy a trailer that i can tow. I am currently wondering what i should buy eathier a enclosed or open trailer. The problem with a open is that i would have to buy a storage unit in the winter cause i have no where to store a trailer in my homes garage over wintertime and living in ohio i imagine that the snow and cold wouldnt be good for the equipment if it was just in my driveway with a tarp over it all winter. So that comes to the problem that i would have to pay $90 a month for a storage unit durring the off season. But with a enclosed i wouldnt have to deal with that and in the long run would probally save me more money. But also it seems like you cant do as much or be as productive with a enclosed trailer....like mulch for an example.. it would be pretty hard to load the trailer up with mulch and i would have to buy by the bag and have it layed inside which is more exspensive.

Help me out with any info you know of

GCS LawnService
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
I am currently using a 7'X16' V-Nose enclosed trailer for my lawn equipment. I also have a 16' open trailer for all other jobs. I really like my enclosed trailer and it really provides good service for me.

tiedeman
05-15-2004, 12:29 AM
I use open trailers, but LOTS of times I wish that I had a closed trailer. Heck just today I was thinking about while I was getting wet from the rain

EastProLawn
05-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Enclosed trailers are definitely very nice ( but more expensive )
but I really like working out of an open trailer, it's just a whole lot easier to get to things and helps out at the end of a job to make sure you have everything. Enclosed sends out a nice picture as far looking professional, but the open trailer say's and show's it all. It's a tough decision to make but I would go with the open.

Green Pastures
05-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Hard to justify buying a huge encolsed trailer when you're first starting out but here's my experience.

I started this biz with a new 5x8 open. Within a few months I bought a new 7x12 open. Within a few months I bought a new 7x16 open. Then after much deliberation I bought a new 8x20 enclosed. I have yet to outgrow the 8x20 but it's getting time for another 8x20 enclosed and a second truck..........

The moral of the story is try and determine where you will be a year from now and buy for then. Do not buy for what you have now.

The advantages to an enclosed trailer are:

-equipment stays out of the weather when you're not using it
-less theft risk
-you do not have to unload every night and put equipment into the garage, just lock it up and hit the shower
-huge surfaces for graphics.....essentially a rolling billboard
-when transporting plants you do not have to cover against wind damage
-shade

Disadvantages:

-no mulch transportation

TLS
05-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Gassing up a full trailer of mowers becomes a gas station Rodeo when you have an enclosed.

I've seen some with little 12" square gas doors.

That would be my biggest hurdle if I were to go to an enclosed. THat and rear visibility. I'm so used to seeing whats behind me, with an enclosed you cant.

An enclosed wouldn't likely fit in my garage either.

bettergrass
05-15-2004, 01:05 AM
yeah but i will be driving my dads f-250 diesel so im thinking now for mulch i can just put it in the bed. and if anything i can always do bags cause that is what i do now and i still get plenty of jobs threw the neighborhood. Im thinking im gonna go with a enclosed cause my main income is cutting grass and i do only some mulch jobs. I just think for my situation now going with a 7x12 enclosed and mabe if i do well i will get a big open trailer. I just need to find a farmer in my area that will allow me to store stuff on his property for a small fee cause i found out today that our neighborhood doesnt allow trailer outside for more than 3 days a week. But still even for the future with a open trailer i would have to find a place liek a barn or something where i could store mowers.

Green Pastures
05-15-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by TLS
An enclosed wouldn't likely fit in my garage either.

What do you need to put an enclosed trailer in a garage for?

:D

JFGLN
05-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Buy the open trailer and use the money you save to rent a storage unit over the winter.

grassrootsinab
05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
The problem with storage is it isn't an investment. If you spend the money on an enclosed trailer, that is money you could recoup if you sell it. I bought a used enclosed this past fall (home-built albeit very well done) for pretty cheap. But as I was looking at factory built used enclosed trailers (Wells Cargo, Haulmark etc) I found the price diff between new and used was negligible. I fyou buy an enclosed now, you will probably get most of your money out of it if you sell it down the road. Paying for storage, you'll never recoup that money. Just my 2 cents.

economiclawncare
05-18-2004, 02:40 PM
i have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and i like it b/c of course i dont have to unload and for security purposes. It is not the easiest thing to work out of. we i go to buy another i will go with one that is 7 ft or 8 ft wide so that i can move around my z to get to trimmer and blower also i would get the side door as a ramp instead of the door.

LT01
05-18-2004, 04:01 PM
We have a 7x18 enclosed trailer used exclusively as a mowing rig and a 7x16 open trailer that affords us the flexibility to use it for multiple functions (2nd mowing rig, landscaping, etc....). There are truly uses for both if you can afford them. I would have to say if your main focus is mowing and you don't want to purchase both then I would go ahead and INVEST the extra money into your business and buy an enclosed trailer. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Timberland Lawns
05-30-2004, 08:10 PM
I've been looking for a good used 7x14 enclosed for a year. They don't last long, around here anyway, and the prices are very close to new. This tells me the resale market is very strong. Considering this, I decided to buy new. I will be keeping my open as my backup and brush/debris hauler. NO MORE WET EQUIPMENT!!!!

ShadyTree
06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
You might want to think twice about enclosed. We just bought out another business and they had an enclosed. We bought 2 new 61" Grasshoppers belly mounts and a 48" bobcat hydro. We just hired a new guy to come and work. We stored gas in the trailer and in the morning your supposed to let the thing air out. Well to get to my story, he didnt know and went to start the 48" and the whole trailer blew up. It was like a death trap. Good thing the guy was toward the back. He recieved minor burns butwe lost over 30,000 because of that. Make sure the traler is built well and has plenty of vents. Maybe this story will change some minds.
ShadyTree

ksland
06-01-2004, 12:22 AM
:(
I always wondered about that. It does get awefully hot inside them too. How much gas was stored inside the trailer? Were the cans sealed up?

ShadyTree
06-01-2004, 12:26 AM
well including the gas in the machines and the fuel cell, around a 100 gallons or so. Ya everything was sealed it was just a really hot night and in the morning and they never aired it out before starting the machines.