PDA

View Full Version : Walk Behind Sprayers

tim
01-20-2000, 01:51 PM
I am thinking of buying a push sprayer. You don,t see many of them. Can anyone offer advice on brands and how well they perform?

GroundKprs
01-20-2000, 03:39 PM
What kind of sprayer are you referring to? The grounds wheelies that pump when the wheel turn, or and electric powered sprayer?<p>And what procedures are you intending to use it for?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN

tim
01-21-2000, 02:51 AM
Referring to the type that spray as the wheels turn to power them. It will be used on smaller lawns of 10,000 sq. ft or less and usedon grass areas near beds. I have a backpack and a 55 gallon unit that runs off pto. One is too small the other too big for small lawns.

GroundKprs
01-21-2000, 04:26 AM
Morning Tim. Haven't used one myself, but have heard that they are not too consistent in coverage. Have you considered a Herbi? Check out http://www.bubco.com/micron.html. Only problem is that many chemicals will not work in CDA application. Most Timec products, Roundup and Riverdale herbicides that I have used are labeled for Herbi. Post here or email me if you have any questions about Herbi operation.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN

Lazer
01-21-2000, 01:07 PM
Why not consider the Perma-Green unit that attaches to your fertilizer spreader? Covers 15,000 Sq. Ft. and costs just $350.00. You can apply herbicide when fertilizing in 1 step.<p>We've got them and they work as adverised.

ant
01-23-2000, 10:05 AM
we use two greens wheelie i like them. they cost about 500+ dollars and are worth it .ours are the ten gal. units. and we donot fill them up all the way. we carry 8 five gal. plastic containers with water and mix at each job. useing a large syring to draw the chem. out of the pesticide container. we built a rack that fits in our reese hitch that holds our spreader and sprayer.<br>the company that makes them is wheel spray corp. 414-646-8640. we only use it for property that need complete spraying (broadleaf weed control, were there is a lot of weeds) acclam,fungicide applications. spot spraying we use 1 qt. hand sprayer.we never tryed pre-m or fertilizer in the sprayer. we use granular. hope this helps.<p>anthony grelli new jersey<br>

ant
01-23-2000, 10:12 AM
lazer tell me more about perma green sprayer<br>thanks anthony.

Retro67
01-23-2000, 10:26 AM
I'm not experienced with a wide range of pre emergents. What do some of you use for spray apps? I know Lesco, or a any number of others would help me. However, people in the field might be more in touch with some of the plusses and minuses of each. <p>Also, why don't you guys mix ferts and pre emergents or other herbicides when you spray rather than use granular and spray at the same time? Obviously you must find some benefit with that method?<p>John<p>----------<br>http://www.delphi.com/lawn/start<br>Professional Lawncare Maintenance Contractor's Forum <br>

NeilG
01-23-2000, 01:21 PM
John,<br>I have used Surflan in the past but changed over to Lesco's PreM last season. It seemed to do as well as the Surflan but it cost much less.($150 a case vs $280)<br>It all depends on the time of the year and condition of the lawns, but I will mix post emergence herbicide, pre-em, urea as a source of N along with potash for the source of K and just for good measure, I may throw in a little Iron, in the spray tank. I can see if you have consistantly windy conditions that you would want to use a granular pre-em product, but that isn't a big problem here.<br>Hey, I would like to know more about the Perma Green unit also. Always looking for a better way to do things. Looked at a unit called ProMax, that was built on a Walker chassis, has a boom sprayer, chemlawn gun and a electric spreader up front. Looks really neat, just cost big $$$.<br>Neil

Lazer
01-24-2000, 02:22 PM
Retro67,<p>The advantages of using a granular fertiizer/liquid weed control and applying at the same time:<p>1.) Granular offers more options in fertilizer. You cannot cost-effectively have a slow-release liquid fertilizer. No SCU or PSCU. You get better fertilizer with granular.<p>2.) A liquid fertilizer requires a great deal of water, large spray tanks, and additional loading equipment.<p>3.) Liquid fertilizer cannot be applied on hot days due to burn potential, limiting your service window.<p>4.) When mixing all your chemicals into your fertilizer, you cannot custom treat each lawn.<p>5.) When doing the granular/liquid method, you can fertilize only w/o spraying weeds if desired, resulting im better IPM practices and saving money.<p>6.) You can custom adjust your spreader to apply various rates of fertilizer depending on soil/grass type w/o messing up your herbicide mixture.<p>7.) You can switch fertilizer formulations from lawn to lawn. Pre-M to SCU to starter, etc., depending on lawn requirements.<p>8.) It gives your tech more options while on each site, giving you better results, saving wasted materials, and allowing your company to be more environmentally responsible by not applying unneeded pesticides.<p>just my thoughts,<br>Carl

jaclawn
07-27-2000, 06:32 PM
I have been mulling over this issue for a while now. I currently do dry apps, and backpack for weeds. Most of my lawns are 15,000sf+, and some are fairly populated with weeds. I can get pretty good results with the dry material on just about all but post emergent weed control. <p>Backpacking takes some considerable time on some of my lawns, especially new ones that are heavily weeded. There is also the operator error factor with backpacking, it is easy to miss some weeds. <p>I toyed with the idea of a truck mounted spray rig, but for many reasons, I have hesitated against one. <p>I got to thinking today about the Perma Green attachemnt for the push spreaders. It seems like it may be a nice comprimise. <p>I do have a few concerns though. <p>1. Weight. The website says that the unit is 11# empty, and 33# full. That is a lot of weight to add to a spreader, especially since I do a lot of hills. Do you guys not put as much fert in the hopper when using this unit? Can the unit be removed eaisly if it won't be needed?<p>2. What about the on/off system? Can you do it on the fly, seeing a patch of lawn that does not need the liquid, shut it off and then back on during the pass?<p>3. Do you find yourself using more material, compared with spot treating? If so, is the added material worth the time savings?<p>4. I use a double overlap pattern with my spreader, that is, I throw the material just to the tire mark of my last pass, (the area right in front of the spreader puts down 2x, the rest is 1x), does the double overlap have any effect on the liquid?<p>It just seems that you can get a little more consistent coverage with one of these units compared to hit and miss with a backpack. <p>So from you guys that have them, what are your thoughts on them???

ChrisYanik
07-27-2000, 09:53 PM
A walk-behind sprayer??????<p>YAAAAAAA....OK.......That almost makes sence.<p>Shouldn't the sprayer boom be mounted behind you so you don't get herbicide misting all over you???<p>Course I guess using a skid sprayer isn't much better.<p>Just a thought....Please excuss me if I sound like a dumb-*^&&(....

excel25
07-28-2000, 08:45 AM
Been using perma green sprayer and like it alot. chemilal use is good and coverage is much better and faster than backpack.

Lazer
07-28-2000, 08:49 AM
jaclawn,<p>1.) The weight is a concern, I use it on a power Lesco spreader. I did have one on a push spreader, but only for a little while. Your spreader weighs 70 lbs. or so (full) and adding 33 will be noticeable, especially during the summer. <p>Figure it'll be 1/2 full most of the time and you're only adding 20 lbs.<p>If you're doing 15,000 sq. ft. + lawns, it's time to get more than just a push spreader anyway.<p>2.) It comes with a momentary on/off swith, which you can hold (confortably) for a whole lawn or just trigger for weedy areas.<p>3.) You use less herbicide because it's always going down at the proper rate with no skips.<p>4.) It's meant for your overlap pattern. It spreads 9', which you'll find is about how far your tire marks are apart.<p>Chris,<br>You need to have your spray in front of you for visibility when spraying landscaped areas. True you do walk through the sprayed area (if you're walking) but it doesn't &quot;mist&quot; on you.

jaclawn
07-28-2000, 12:43 PM
Just swung by for lunch, and after reading the favorable replies, called and ordered a unit. <p>Lazer- Thanks for your advice, yes, I agree that something more than a push spreader is what I need, I just don't have the number of accounts to justify something just yet. Maybe next year I will be asking you about your ride on! Thanks for all your help.<p>

bill phagan
07-28-2000, 04:16 PM
Check out GROUNDTEK.COM for all kinds of modular spray and spreader equip..........

steven Bousquet
07-29-2000, 07:23 AM
check out Gosng.com<p>has some good stuff. the company makes and uses the stuff.

Runner
07-31-2000, 07:59 PM
Lazer and Excel, Sounds like a nice setup, but what do you do when you have a strip that narrows - like between two beds or something?

jaclawn
07-31-2000, 08:33 PM
I had the same question. When I calle dto order the kit, I asked about this. THe guy on the phone was very understanding of this situation, and told me that the factory has no kit to shut off one of the nozzles, but that a standard 1/4&quot; shutoff valve can be places in line, and that the right side nozzle shut off. I guess that in areas tighter than that, you are forced to break out the manual sprayer. It shoule still be a time saver. I'll give a report after I get it up and running.

excel25
07-31-2000, 11:27 PM
Went to lowes and got a shut off valve and put on left side. works great, use alot around beds. took about 1.5hrs to install everything. <p>----------<br>Dennis<br>EXCEL LAWN CARE

jaclawn
08-06-2000, 08:57 PM
The unit arrived the other day, (4 working days after ordering), and looks promising. I did manage to get it installed this morning. I did run into a few trouble areas.

The tank of the unit looks to be designed for a spreader that has a relativly long front panel. I was mounting it on a Lesco Mark II, and it has a low profile hopper. This ment that only the top two bolts could be used for mounting to the hopper. I fabricated a bracket to mount the bottom of the tank to the front bar bumper of the spreaders frame.

Another tie up that I occored was with the two boom pipes. Apparantly they sent two rights (lefts?) with the kit. It was still workable, the mounting was just a little more challanging.

I may, after putting some use on the unit, fabricate a little diffrent switch assembally. I am thinking of something along the lines of a hand brake lever that would be used on a bicycle. I'll have to see how I like the simple toggle switch. It seems kinda cheap.

It took about 3-4 hours for me to install. Keep in mind that I anti-nit-wit everything. I don't give anything a chance to get screwed up. I ran all the wiring in black plastic wire loom, tying it neatly to the handle bars. I also put small pieces of hose on the supply lines, in any places that they will rub against anything. I also hard mounted the valve manifold to the spreader frame, not just letting it hang by the hoses. I put a small fitting and hose on the fill spout for the bottle.

The instructions that came with the unit left a lot to be desired. Not that they were totally inadequate, but they were not what I would expect for something that cost $350.00.

I didn't get a chance to use it today, nor was I able to calibrate it because it was rainin all day. I know that I will have to make a slight adjustment, the spray pattern is hitting the tank, and a slight amount of water was dripping off the tank.

I did do the pacing off calibration that the company suggests, and I came up with the following amounts of chemical per gallon. For Momentum, I figures 6-7 oz, per gallon of water. Is this in the right neighborhood? I am going to do a full calibration, and test it out on some scrappy turf before taking it on a customers lawn.

I'll update you on the use of the unit after I have it in action. I am hopeful...