PDA

View Full Version : Ground Starilization

precisioncut
05-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I know there are some products out there to starilize the ground. Can some of you give me some names to look for. I need to starilize large areas of rock beds. For those that have used them, give me some pros and cons to look for.
Thanks.

get rich
05-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Primatol, sterilizes the soil for couple years, but moves easily through soil. So not wise to use near rivers or streams. Or round up and sahara mix will work for one season coverage. Hope there aren't any plants near by.

precisioncut
05-17-2004, 12:14 AM
get rich-thanks, I'll look into it. Your from Rockford? I was born and raised there. But now live in Utah. Grew up in Loves Park and around 7th street area in Rockford.

ArizPestWeed
05-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Pramitol last , for me , 6 months or so.
Arsenal last longer .

I'm not far from you .
Sedona , Az.

Where in Utah ?

I love Zion National Park

ArizPestWeed
05-17-2004, 02:40 AM
Arsenal , Diuron,Simazine, Oust , mixed together is better

neal-wolbertsinc
05-17-2004, 03:31 AM
If there is no plan to plant anything use a soil residual (not sterilizer, that is done by fumigants) that is labeled for landscape use. Not sure if Pramitol is labeled for such. How about Roundup with a follow-up of Casoron 4G? That should give 5-6 months control. You will need to catch a rain of at least 1/2" to activate the Casoron or it will not turn to a gas and do it's job. The rate of Casoron should be 150# per acre or about 3 1/2# 1000/ sq ft at high rate. It will move with water so watch any slopes that have grass close to them that you don't want to kill, especially if you are in an area that gets sudden heavy rains. I've seen damage extend 30' feet or more down a sloped lawn below a treated bed many times...not fun to fix. If you want to make a single pass with liquids, try Roundup, Gallery, Barricade for great control of most every type of seed germinted weed. It won't control rhizomes that poke through though like Casoron will, but you can apply it in a single application and expect 4-5 months control without worry of it moving at all. It is a great combination for beds and lawn edging, tree rings etc. Neal

Tharrell
05-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Pramitol is something I used last year. Rain works it into the ground and it works great. I think I paid $60 or so for a gallon, maybe less.

BCSteel
05-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Princep works good for me. Just a few grams in 15 liters will last for at about a couple months. If you want longer control, use more princep in the mix.

precisioncut
05-18-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm in St. George, UT. Few mins away from Zion. I'm not sure where Sedona, AZ is.

ArizPestWeed
05-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I was in St George in 1977 for one nite .

Sedona is in Central Az , 45 miles south of Flagstaff.

precisioncut
05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't make it that way to often. I just go towards Vegas. St. George is a great place to live and play.

get rich
05-18-2004, 10:37 PM
well more like Cherry Valley than Rockford. But yes, i travel all of winnebago, ogle, boone counties. I used to rent an appartment down on 18th ave and south sixth street about ten years ago, now i reside... way over on the east side. Did you do landscaping round here? If so for yourself or a lawn care company? Boy you didn't just move couple miles down the road did ya? Just kidding. Is terrain in southern Utah quite the contrast to northern IL? Right now i'm spraying Sahara and round up pro on gravel parking lots that were a mess last year and are next to nothing but few weeds this year, because of the same spray mix last year.I don't think that this mix has next year residule, but sure made this years work easier ( plus i'm out there a little earlier this year)oh well, take care.

precisioncut
05-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Is sure is a contrast. S. Utah is all desert and mountains, unlike your area just green and hills. I like Utah a bit more because of the vast variety of things to do in this area. But I like it back home as well. Best of luck to ya.

advantagelawn
05-25-2004, 01:01 AM
go with SAHARA, we use it on all of our bareground treatments

Exterior Concepts
05-25-2004, 01:43 AM
I use a product called Spike.It comes in a 4#bag cheaper than pramitol.But has the same problems with soil transferrial.This product works great where there isn't any plant material.Cost about 4 115.00 per 4 # bag.Coverage is from 2#to 4# per acre.Hope this helps

cajuncutter
05-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Also check out LESCO. They have this stuff called Sahara, works really well. Only has a leech of 5 inches. It won't move around at all. I used it on a patch of bamboo at our camp house and it knocked it out. It has been 3 years and grass is starting to move in. If I remember correctly it lasts between 2 to 3 years. You can buy it by the 2 lb package and I forget what the coverage is.

GreenQuest Lawn
05-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Sahara

I applied to an area that will be 3 years this August. There are only a few weeds popping up. Absolutly nothing for 2 years.

cajuncutter
05-26-2004, 09:12 AM
It is great stuff, would not count on it for above ground pool liners though. The only problem I had with it was I did not think to let it disolve properly before spraying, I had to take the tip off several times to get the particles out. Since then I have learned to put the proper amount needed into a bucket and add a little water. Stir vigerously and make like a slurry. Then pour it into the tank and fill with water. I also had tank mixed it with round up for a faster kill on the smaller weeds below the bamboo.

lordohturf
05-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Sahara by BASF.