PDA

View Full Version : Completed job. Whatcha think

o-so-n-so
05-16-2004, 10:10 PM
I just completed this job. Its my first landscape job since I became certified.

I can handle constructive criticism. I need you to be honest with me.

The Wall is one of two walls on the property. It had to match existing rock work on the house.

The customer is extremely happy with this project.

Thanks

o-so-n-so
05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
different angle..........

o-so-n-so
05-16-2004, 10:13 PM

ElephantNest
05-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Very nice looking. Great work. Personally, I would have chosen a bolder color in the mulch, but it looks great.

jwholden
05-17-2004, 12:05 AM
O-so.

The job looks nice. Good for you on becoming a Certified Landscape Technician! :D:D:D

One comment on the wall, I would try to stagger your joints more, as if you were building a brick wall (but not neccesarily to that extent). It will give your wall much more strength.

What's your trick for keeping the mortar off of your stones?

NickN
05-17-2004, 08:45 AM
WOW!That looks great!
For some reason,those plants look familiar.:)
Is your bottom course all on the same level or did you step it up?
Love the stone work and the planting.

Team Gopher
05-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi o-so-n-so,

Nice work!

GreenMonster
05-17-2004, 07:31 PM
I like the stone work. Plantings look good too. Are they planted a little close, though? Might they be growing into each other a few years from know. I can't tell from the pic what is in there.

o-so-n-so
05-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks.

Yes I had 2 step ups per end with a concrete footing and a 4" block wall behind the rock.

I want the plants to fill this area up in a few. I like a full bed with vertical and color contrast.

The rock work was a tough task for me. I learned alot. Took lots of notes. Bridging the gaps is alot harder than you would think. No trick in keeping the rock clean. They were a mess. I had to clean them after completing.

The mulch matches whats around the existing landscape. I just wanted to tie in nicely. Would never use "red" unless requested. Its just not natural looking.

dvmcmrhp52
05-17-2004, 08:35 PM
so n so,
I think you did a great job on the wall!
The plantings I probably would have gone with fewer and a bit more variety,but it still looks pretty good anyway.
Good work.

o-so-n-so
05-17-2004, 09:03 PM
What would you have put in the area and why? I am very interested in your Ideas.

anyone........................

the only thing the customer didn't want was a conifer type plantings in this bed. The property is loaded with Leyland Cypress trees.

thanks.

jajwrigh
05-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Nice work! Looks good from here!

AGLA
05-17-2004, 09:48 PM
The wall looks good. My constructive criticism would be that the mortar joints are bigger than they need to be and protrude to close to the stone face of the wall. I would like to see the joints kept well back to the point that the wall almost appears to be mortarless.

Is there more thickness to the wall than the stone that we can see?

o-so-n-so
05-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks AGLA,

I agree that a dry stack look is far more attractive with tight seams. Take a look at this photo taken of the front of the house.
I was trying to tie in with this rock work. I even went to the contractor and inquired about the color of mortar. The rock color is off just a bit but from the distance from the house to the bed, it looks OK. In the 2nd photo you can see the rock on the house in the very top left of photo. This photo is a close up of that rock.

Thanks

o-so-n-so
05-18-2004, 10:14 PM
A step back.....same rock work on house.........

dvmcmrhp52
05-18-2004, 10:56 PM
I'd say you did well trying to duplicate the look of the existing stone work.
The dry wall look does look more natural,but for what you were trying to achieve you did well I think.

AGLA
05-19-2004, 06:28 AM
Very nice job matching. It was also very professional of you to do that. Sometimes people get too wrapped up in their own work and lose sight of the big picture. Nice job.

D Felix
05-22-2004, 10:00 AM
About the only thing I see that could have possibly been done differently would be keeping the courses of stone a little more level than what they are. It appears that the stone work on the house is that way, but other than that you did a pretty good job matching the house stone.

FWIW, I wouldn't have touched that wall, that's what masonry subs are for!:D Dry-stack, sure, but anything involving mortar, and I call a sub!

Dan

ksland
05-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Horrible! Absolutely Horrible!!!!!

So much so you need to come over to my house and make me one for practice! :p

Rather Be Fishing
05-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I think it looks great, and if the customer is happy that's even better.

Personally, I'd have gone for more variety in color regarding the plantings but from the limited views of the existing wall and landscape it appears you did a pretty good job of matching both. It looks like there are both annuals and perenial flowers which should add some variety to the color when they peak.

I'd say a great job overall.:cool: