PDA

View Full Version : Talstar Not Working on ANTS

dwc
05-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has ran into a problem with Talstar One not working on ants. They are mainly Pyramid ants. There are hundreds of mounds on a normal 6,000 foot lawn in many parts of town. Spraying seems to make them worse if anything.
I had the FMC etomologist/rep come out and look at several properties and he said he has never seen anything like it. They are trying to figure something out but I thought maybe someone here might have the answer. The best guess he had right off is that they are resistant to pyrethoids which takes care of many of the chemicals on the market. What does everyone do for ants in the lawn?

Thanks,
dwc

ArizPestWeed
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Termidor , use it .

dwc
05-17-2004, 10:29 PM
i have used termidor around the house and phantom inside the house but they are mainly odorous house ants that are the problem there. works great from what I have used. havent used termidor in the lawn because its not labeled for it is it?

ArizPestWeed
05-18-2004, 12:58 AM
My Termidor is one year old .
I heard the label has changed to include ants in the yard .
I've not seen this , just heard it .

Ric
05-18-2004, 01:17 AM
DWC

I know your licensed so I won't go there. However have you ever heard the term "Rotate". Yep time for some carbanilate or organophosphate.

Green Dreams
05-18-2004, 10:43 AM
I am way down south and my problem is fire ants. Talstar smokes them when you soak the mounds. And can I ask...why no bait first? Can they not be baited?

Here homeowners are told to do the "Texas Two Step" use bait then knock out the mounds in a week. After that, bait regularly....Thanks

Drew

Ric
05-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
I am way down south and my problem is fire ants. Talstar smokes them when you soak the mounds. And can I ask...why no bait first? Can they not be baited?

Here homeowners are told to do the "Texas Two Step" use bait then knock out the mounds in a week. After that, bait regularly....Thanks

Drew

DWC

Do a search "Fire Ants" or "Texas Two Step" I think I have posted the Texas Two Step more than once. Yes it is very effective. A couple of years ago I had a big argument with Kirby over Top Choice vs the Texas Two Step.

Now Talstar is Befenthrin which is a Pyrethroid. Pyrethroids have been known to become in-effective in the past. Rotate and use another Chemical Family for a period of time. Then you can go back to them. However be sure not to go from one Pyrethroid to another or you will still have a problem.

Green Dreams
05-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Talstar can break down if left too long in a tank/can.

I am new here and trying to learn. I have heard good things about Top Choice and wanted to offer it. Have you tried both? I'd appreciate your opinion....Drew

Ric
05-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Green Dreams

Our sandy soil in Florida has no chemical holding power. (CEC) Therefore Top Choice has given very mixed results. Top Choice has the same time frame as Hydramethylnon baits for control But cost about 8 times more.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
For whatever reason, I cannot explain, but Fipronil works great on fire ants. However, it does not work on all ants. I've been treating my own lawn with fipronil for 3.5 years now. One app per year. I've had no fire ants. But I do have another variety of ants on my landscape. My wife calls them sugar ants. Not sure what kind they are, but they're there.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Gelroos
05-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Termidor is labeled only for perimeter sprays around house a foot up foundation and a foot out . Ive used it on ant mounds in lawns and as long as it doesnt rain within a day or so its worked great make sure you use high rate though .06% or .8oz/gal and you will get great results. As far as Talstar One is concerned Ive used it for Surface insect control and for Chinch Bugs and Army worms but thats about it ever since Fipronil came out its been a life saver as far as ants are concerned......

dwc
05-18-2004, 11:23 PM
what bait does everyone use? I used some Niban and Advance and Maxforce baits and watched them carry off the Niban and Advance. Not sure about the Maxforce since it is the same size and color as the mound. It has been 5 days and they are still going strong, but I have heard it can take 2 weeks.

Gelroos
05-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Well I use both Sweet Baits(Gel) and Protein Granular Baits As far as Sweet Baits I use Intice Gel Its an Orthoboric Acid Bait and Ive used it on Small Ants where im from North East .Mainly Pavement Ants or Sugar Ants , Acrobatic Ants and Citronella Ants. Ive also Used Max Force Gel With Fipronil for same situations ,as well as Drax Gel but I like the Intice the most. For Granular Baits, I like Either the Advance Granular or the Max Force (Hydrometholon) Granular The Max Force seems to work well on harvester ants but over all I like the Advance better overall.

Ric
05-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by dwc
what bait does everyone use? I used some Niban and Advance and Maxforce baits and watched them carry off the Niban and Advance. Not sure about the Maxforce since it is the same size and color as the mound. It has been 5 days and they are still going strong, but I have heard it can take 2 weeks.

dwc

You need to read the labels. Baits work very slow and that is why they can make it to the queen. AI. of Hydramethylnon works the quickest at about 5 weeks. Other AI can take up too 10 weeks.

Termidor is a great product but only labeled for perimeter treatment by a GHP (inside pest control) licensee. We all tend to cheat on the label of this product and use it else where.

There is some good info in this thread about ant control. I suggest that anyone who does ant control re-read this thread. Also re-read your pesticide labels.

Green Dreams
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
I alternate between Maxforce and Varsity.