PDA

View Full Version : Bindweed deterant??

bugspit
05-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Is there a product that will kill this weed without damaging other plants?

One section of a garden I'm caring for is infested with this vine.

What about a pre-emergent for next year?

Thanks

bugspit
05-18-2004, 10:18 PM
No contributions or advice?

Hamons
05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Three way and Quicksilver mix have always worked extremely well for me.

Hamons
05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Sorry after re-reading your post I noticed this was not in turf. I know their are some ag chemicals designed specifically to control bindweed nad not crops -- but not sure if labeled for ornamentals.

Ronstar G is labeled against bindweed and has been very effective in my expereince.

Could you carefully use round-up on existing weeds and then use ronstar next season?

Hamons
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Also....In recent years, fungi with potential for controlling field bindweed have been studied. Phoma proboscis infects leaves and stems of field bindweed. I don't hink this a comercially available option yet though

bugspit
05-19-2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for your reply.

We might try that. The owners of this garden are very particular about using chemicals but, within a short time this bindweed takes over and not easily removed by hand...especially in roses.

Applied carefully I think we can get away with it.

Stephen M.
05-19-2004, 03:37 PM
As you know, Bindweed has an extensive root system and chemical will travel only so far before petering out. That is why it's a problem to control. I tankmix 1 cup of Round Up Pro with 1 cup of Crossbow in a 4 gallon tank. If the bind weed is on plants, pull it off and spray. Respray anything as it comes up and you will be doing it several times.

ArizPestWeed
05-19-2004, 11:12 PM
What is crossbow , please ?

Stephen M.
05-20-2004, 02:06 AM
Crossbow is a combination of triclopyr- a woody brush herbicide and 2,4-D which is the broad spectrum broadleaf weed herbicide. This powerful combination provides effective control over a wide range of broadleaf weeds, brush, and other woody species.

It should not be mixed with diesel or kerosene in foliar sprays as this will burn the foliage before the herbicide enters the brush; but they can be added for basal penetration thru the bark.

Crossbow works very well on hard to control, nasty plants and a 1.5% solution works best.

Crossbow is made by DowElanco.

greenerpastures
05-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Bindweed is a tough pest.

Crossbow is a good product, but maybe overkill for a garden. Glyphosate alone will only annoy it at best. We had fairly good results with straight dicamba (Banvel) with surfactant in the fall. I have seen some residual problems if applied in spring. I doubt there is a pre-emerge available that will claim control of bindweed.

Hamons
05-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Green you are right -- when I checked Ronstar does not list bindweed on the label.

Here is a good link from UC Davis on contol of binweed http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7462.html

bugspit
05-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Good stuff...Thanks.

keep'em coming

sprayman73703
05-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Depending on what the other plants are but if it is in with grassy plants a great ag product that gets it is called "peak" mixed with some weedmaster (banvel and D). Peak is a one of those awesome sulfoneylurea's. But again it is an ag product for use in cereal crops so use this info for what it is worth. Otherwise just keep after it by spot spraying it with glyphos and a small small amount of D. Good Luck