PDA

View Full Version : dont know how much to spread

RyanCJ7
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
I'm re-doing a customer's beds around his pool that are about 800 square feet combined. The customer has informed me that he needs material for his beds that he won't have to worry about blowing into his pool so I have been looking at crushed red brick and 3/4" - 1 1/4" decorative "egg rock"

These materials are sold by the ton and I am a little un-educated as to how much one ton of such materials would cover. I need to spread about 3" thick uniformly.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

fishman644
05-18-2004, 11:54 PM
1 cubic yard should cover about 100 square feet approx. 3 inches deep. If i am wrong i hope someone will correct me. lol this works for me

paponte
05-19-2004, 12:05 AM
7-8 yards will be sufficient. ;)

scottknussmann
05-19-2004, 12:14 AM
You should consider using crusehed granite, looks good in beds, and wont blow around, i get it for $10.00 a yard..

Ice_Gargoylle
05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
just ask your supplier, they will tell you how much 1 ton or what tonage = 1 yrd.

its all different so i always ask.

btw, always shoot for the lightest material. but if they want a granite or pea gravel, just charge more for labor.

RyanCJ7
05-19-2004, 12:29 AM
$10 a yard?? :eek: How much does a yard weigh? it has to be over a ton... Are you talking about the grey crushed granite that you see being used for drainage along highways?

i'm looking at $35-40 per ton at a local materials company for the rock and $70 per ton for crushed red brick. (I think delivery may be included)

RyanCJ7
05-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ice_Gargoylle
just ask your supplier, they will tell you how much 1 ton or what tonage = 1 yrd.

its all different so i always ask.

btw, always shoot for the lightest material. but if they want a granite or pea gravel, just charge more for labor.

Based on the costs posted above, what would you suggest I charge. I charge $60 /yd for mulch installed on $18 mulch for example, I have never really gauged any price for laying gravel/rock since i've only ever charged for it on an hourly basis (can't do this time)

Also, the crushed brick seems to be their lightest material, but they are charging that $70/ton for it. What other material would you suggest :confused:

Ice_Gargoylle
05-19-2004, 01:12 AM
well if color isnt a factor, your pea or course L, or river rock, gravel will be good. and very very cheap from a quary. i think the unfinished pea gravel for my house was 4.50 a ton. thats pea gravel that isnt rounded, or tumbled. for those 2 types, its usually 1.5 tons = 1 yard. take some samples of the different types of rock to the customer. most people have to idea what is available.

for any rock cheaper than $18/ton i would charge just a little more than mulch/yrd spread. for more decorative and expensive rock, just add your material/ton + 35 or so to spread.
think of it this way. you cant haul alot/trip. where you could haul maybe 8-9 yrds mulch, now you can only haul 2.5-3 yrds rock. its heavier to move. its takes 25% longer to spread.