PDA

View Full Version : Deck buidling

meets1
05-18-2004, 09:24 PM
We were asked to build a deck along with doing the guys landscape. The deck measures 28 1/2 ft x 30ft. That is sq, there are a few corners invloved to frame around, but to the most part all is open. About a 12 - 18 inches off the ground.

The home owner is paying for all materials - do I price / hour? Or price / sq ft??

landscapingpoolguy
05-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Sub it out....learn from an experienced guy first.

Chuck

meets1
05-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Hey thanks for the advice but we started. We place 35 4x 4 post in the ground 4 ft deep. Ran 2x6's on the post and double them for the support. Drilled thru each post and 2 2x6's with 1/2 bit and cariage bolted them together. Screwed all the double plated 2x6's together. Then we put in the joist with 2x6 and layed that out every 16 OC. Screwed through both end and then came back and placed all hangers on them and screwed them in as well. So the undercarriage is built and the decking which is a composite materail will be put on next week monday. Then we put a weed barrier under the deck and filled in with 12 ton of 1 inch rock.

The guy is getting the materials and were going by the hour. We place everything in about 12 hours with 4 guys.

BobInMN
05-20-2004, 12:18 AM
meets1,
Are you allowed to work without a contractor's liscense in Iowa?
I know you need one here in Minnesota.

NCSULandscaper
05-20-2004, 12:31 AM
are you getting it inspected by the building code office?

meets1
05-20-2004, 09:57 AM
We had our permits and liscenes checked and we were good to go. There is fine line b/t structures that can be built. We often install fencing - wood or vinyl and that has never been an issue. Building code inspector - no! Our county is pretty laxed on that issue. We have our shop located on the east side of the street - in our county, across the street is another county - whole nother deal! During the winter we do alot of remodel work. We'll buy a house and redo or do small additions for others. As long as were in my county - no building inspector. We do all our own wiring, plumbing, etc.

stumpking
05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm curious. The local inspector had no trouble with 4x4's into the dirt as supports?

Here you need cement footers below the frostline. The 4x4's will rot pretty easily around here as well.

Also with a lot of the composite decking, if the customer will spring for it, 12" OC makes the deck feel a lot firmer. It's not really a structural capacity issue so much with the avg deck, the composites just don't feel all that solid when done 16" sometimes.

meets1
05-20-2004, 09:37 PM
No problem. The decking is about a foot above ground. We placed in .60 GT 4x4 instead of .40. I am not even sure if there is a big difference b/t the two.

We put a 6x6 block in the bottom of hole as a base, then place some cement to hold it firm while we leveled it up and then packed what we call "road gravel" around the entire post. Mixture of sand, stone, gravel.

So come monday, we install the decking and I'll let ya know what brand it is and how it went.