PDA

View Full Version : 800 and,or vanity numbers - Got one?

The Greenskeep
05-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Looking into getting a 800 and,or vanity number and was wondering if those that already have one found that they worth it compared to a regular number?

Also, could you ballbark your monthly expense for this service? I have gotten a couple of quotes ranginng from $16.00/mo and 8.75 cents a minute to $25.00/mo and 4.25 cents a minute.

Any help would be appreciated,

The Greenskeep

eshreve1234
05-19-2004, 10:29 AM
I have an 800 number through Sprint. Its 12/mth. + calls. I am still on the fence about it. My yellow page ads cover 3 counties, so I did not want to lose a customer over a toll call. I think it has generated some new biz for me, but at the same time my a few of my local people use it to call me, which wastes some money. Also, do not let them talk you into taking 5 numbers like they did me. All the numbers have been in service at one time or another and the phone company only waits 45 days to re-issue the numbers. So I pay for a hand full of calls every month on the 4 numbers I have but do not use. My primary number is averaging 40-60 mins. a month in calls to a help line that not longer exists. Sprint waived the fees the first time but the next bill they would not.

Canadian GreenScape
05-19-2004, 08:29 PM
I have a vanity number I guess (###-GROW) It has worked well for me although I cant put any kind of monetary figure on it. Its just simply easier for people to remember when they see the sign or an ad. The only problem that I can think of is some older people "dont know how to dial the letters" :p Ive had to educate some of them. There was a thread on this not long ago, within th last few weeks. Cant help you with the 800 numbers my area is all local.

ExecutiveLawns
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I just purchased a 1 800 vanity number today. the way it works is you purchase the territory that you want if its available. the territories that i picked consist of 12 different area codes with a total of 55,539 owner occupied dwellings. that will cost me a little over $200 a month, but there is a marketing firm behind it all that will help us with all of our marketing materials. with that you get unlimited amount of incoming minutes. the firm i purchased this from has numbers like 1-800-Lawn Care, 1-800-Lawn Cut, 1-800-Curb Appeal and so on. email me if any of you would like the sales reps name if you would like to talk to him for your area.

davedealer
03-26-2008, 10:04 PM
My vanity # works great! People remember my number and it makes it easier for them to refer people to me. I use phonefusion.com for my 800 #. This service had revolutionized my business. Aside from a great price on my 800# they also allow me to receive faxes to that number, and it gets emailed to me as a PDF...I also have all my calls recorded and emailed as an attachment...that way when someone asks me for something and I am on the road I can replay the conversation when I get home and write it all down. It's also good for those he-said she-said situations. Plus I can screen my voicemails as they are being left for me ON MY CELL PHONE! I don't knwo how they do it but I went from being a one man joe shmo to sounding as professional as the big boys.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I have a one. 877-###-LAWN All it has done is cause confusion. If you are marketing in a small area, I'd say try to get a local vanity number (555-LAWN etc.) Many people want t know if I am local, because of the 877 number, or they will find someone else if they think you are not local. Now I use my local number, but have to keep the toll free one, because some people use it & it's in my brochures, biz cards, postcards, etc.

Wish I would have got a local one.

ponyboy
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
i got 845-xxx-0000 it was $6 a month with verizon then i switched to cablevision phone and it is now free people always ask how did i get that number and say it is a great number. i used to have a 800 number was not worth the money i found a local exchanged workrd better for me but most on my work is in one county

JohnnyRoyale
03-27-2008, 12:43 AM
I just purchased a 1 800 vanity number today. the way it works is you purchase the territory that you want if its available. the territories that i picked consist of 12 different area codes with a total of 55,539 owner occupied dwellings. that will cost me a little over $200 a month, but there is a marketing firm behind it all that will help us with all of our marketing materials. with that you get unlimited amount of incoming minutes. the firm i purchased this from has numbers like 1-800-Lawn Care, 1-800-Lawn Cut, 1-800-Curb Appeal and so on. email me if any of you would like the sales reps name if you would like to talk to him for your area.

200 bucks a month is steep, my phone company charges me nothing but the minutes on our number, and it just so conveniently happens that our company name is 7 digits too. I also still have the original numbers, both phone and fax from our old location, as we moved out of the city a year ago into a new area code and we still work down near our old shop. Those numbers are forwarded automatically to our new numbers, and that costs us $20 a month for each.

jdmcat
03-27-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't know about an 800 number because the area I service is all local numbers but I think a vanity number would be great because it would be easy to remember if you saw a truck driving down the road with a 555-LAWN or 555-2MOW or similar. Now I want one...

DaveinSWFL
03-27-2008, 08:33 AM
My number is ###-YARD (9273). Its is on all my ads and on my trailer. I don't know if it has brought me additional customers but it is easy to remember. As far as 800 numbers, I also think that they assume that you are out of the area and would perfer to have someone close by.

colawn
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Good luck with them. Hopefully they work out better for you than they did for me and others. We'll see if it is worth the money in 2 years. You also have to pay for marketing on top of the number. Your effectively selling someone else's business in my opinion.:hammerhead: We had a horrible experience with these people if you could not figure it out. Make sure you keep all records of and conversations, payments, etc. Good Luck

americanlawn
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
We used to have XXX-USA1, but we moved & had to change numbers. We have 5 lines.....4 local numbers including line one: XXX-1000 (had to pay extra to get that number). Our 800 number is 800-700-6330....it was the best we could get without paying extra.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
I have a toll free....being a start up to full time three years ago, I thought it would give me a larger company look, marketing & branding advantages. It has helped land customers. I have on the truck which counties I serve also to help people realize I'm not from out of the area.