PDA

View Full Version : GRUB COJNTROL - how to charge

wrestlingcoach
05-19-2004, 02:26 PM
how does everyone charge on grub control?

what is the best chemical to use?

lawnservice
05-19-2004, 02:36 PM
we use Merit. It has been registered here since 1995 (i think). Have never had any failure with it.

it is expensive, and you'll get several different answers on pricing. We use Merit with our 3rd application round (mid June-early August). We charge regular application price. Because its done with our 3rd fertilization we leave two invoices, one for Merit, one for Rnd 3 fert. So we dont make huge profits on the merit, but we apply it when we are already scheduled to be at the property doing rnd 3.
We do have some customers who skip the summer fert. but take merit app. with those folks we add 30% on to the app cost

EJK2352
05-20-2004, 12:45 AM
I charge double the regular round price for fert w/ Merit. For the people that don't opt for Merit, rescue treatments w/ Dylox are also charged double the regular round price. I also give my Merit customers a guarantee "Grub free or I fix the damage free".

rats5656
06-29-2004, 05:46 AM
do you have to water merit in the lawn right away or can clients wait a few day till rain .. or if i put down combo prduct fert /mert still have to water..

MrBarefoot
06-29-2004, 03:56 PM
I rotate every year between Mach II and Merit for season long grub protection.

We use Dylox if there is an active grub problem that needs treatment immediately.

If you are using a granular product then you should water them in as soon as possible, for maximum effect.

I charge about double an application price for a grub treatment.

lawnservice
06-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by rats5656
do you have to water merit in the lawn right away or can clients wait a few day till rain .. or if i put down combo prduct fert /mert still have to water..

All grub controls need to be watered in, no exception to the rule.
Liquid products should be watered in almost emediately.
Combo products, as you mention, also need to be watered in but the urgentcy is not as with a liquid.
Ultra violet light will break down these products.

We use a combo fert/merit and recommend product get watered into lawn ASAP for best control over grub populations.

James Cormier
06-29-2004, 04:37 PM
EJK, "rescuse treatments" I love that term..Im gonna steal it if you dont mind.

I am also a big fan of merit, however I do use some Mach 2 as well. I like the fact you dont need to water Mach 2 right away.

My concern with merit is during hot dry summers, if a lawn goes into dormancy within 30 days of applying the merit i feel there isnt enough time to get the material into the plant. Ive talked with several people at Bayer and some agree with me and some dont.

We charge the same as a treatment as long as we do them together.

TSM
06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier

My concern with merit is during hot dry summers, if a lawn goes into dormancy within 30 days of applying the merit i feel there isnt enough time to get the material into the plant. Ive talked with several people at Bayer and some agree with me and some dont.

We have been using merit with our rnd 3 since 1997. When merit first came around we used it with our rnd 2. Had some failure. The dryer summers will cause beetles to lay their eggs latter in the season than ussual, thats what happened to us in 95 and 96. have had no failure with merit since we swiched to rnd 3. the watering is a major concern for me. I mean our rnd 3 runs from late June thru early aug. the dryest time of year. but even with that we have had no failure. I also know for a fact some (if not MANY) homeowners will not water the product in and during this time of year we can not rely on rainfall, and still have not had any failure.

use Mach2 on some lawns. got bit pretty hard with mach2 when it first came around, lots of failure on the european grub. but we were refunded our $$$ and also refunded for the dylox we used to save our lawns/accounts. also got a hardy meal out of it, Gregg, the sale person for....cant remember who make mach2, anyway he was very fair. And I know they have changed the label but i still have some fear of mach2 failure, so we use it sparingly.

James Cormier
06-29-2004, 08:56 PM
i hear you Tsm on the Mach 2, I used it the first year it was out and had failure everwhere, I have been slowly coming back to it, I am concerned for the eurioean masked, they still have poor results with that one.
I am scared to put all my eggs in one basket though,( with merit) I remember oftanol back in 85-86-87 was awsome, then something happened in 88 and it was nasty.

lush&green
02-25-2005, 07:11 PM
James, just curious? When did you apply the Mach2? We are switching to it for this year cause it will save a ton of $$$ and I want to mix it up. We plan on using it during July. What are your thought? Thanks

cemars
02-26-2005, 08:31 PM
James, just curious? When did you apply the Mach2? We are switching to it for this year cause it will save a ton of $$$ and I want to mix it up. We plan on using it during July. What are your thought? Thanks

lush&green, I am assuming you missed the whole thing with the Perma-Green vs. Z-Spray debate. Anyway, as a result James is no longer a member of this site. Mach 2 can be used several weeks later in the season than Merit, but conversely you shouldn't apply it quite as early. I have used both and agree with you that Mach 2 is cheaper, but for us it hasn't performed at the same level as Merit, so maybe it will save you some money, maybe not.

Tscape
02-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I missed it and I was a participant! What happened to James? Did he quit of his own volition or did he get banned?

Williams Services
02-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Turfscape - wrong thread for that. Check out the other one at the top of the Pest. & Fert. forum.

Garth
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
how does everyone charge on grub control?

what is the best chemical to use? The chemicals for adults are:
Carbaryl
Malathion
Methoxychlor
Rotenone
For Grubs you can use:
Imadacloprid ( Merit insecticide for turf; Marathon for nursery use.)
Bendiocarb
Isofenphos
Chlorpyrifos
Diazinon
As far as IPM guidelines taught at UC Davis went I remember that two nematodes were effective against grubs particularly Japanese Beetle grubs. They were Steinernema glaseri and Heterorhabditis bacteriophora. The latter is commercially available. Remember when using nematodes that they are alive and have a fairly high oxygen requirement. They are usually sold in a carrier, which they can survive for a month or two under cool conditions. They can be applied with a standard insecticide applicator. Once mixed with water, nematodes must be applied fairly quickly. Another biological control is Bacillus thuringiensis(Bt) The one you will need, though the name escapes me at the moment, is something like " isrealiensis". Milky spore is the common name for spores of the bacterium Bacillus popillae. This bacterium has been used in the U.S since the late 1940's.
There are also parasites that have successfully reduced grub and beetle populations. Tiphia vernalis, a parasite of the grub, and Istocheta aldrichi, a parsite of the Japanese beetle have been an important factor in regulating the population in the Northeast U.S..
Tiphia vernalis is a small parasitic wasp and resembles a large black ant with wings. The female digs into the soil, paralyzes a grub by stinging, and then deposits an egg on the grub. When the egg hatches the wasp lava consumes the grub.
Istocheta aldrichi is a solitary fly and is an internal parasite of the Japanese beetle. The female flies are capable of depositing up to 100 eggs during a two week period. The eggs are usually laid on the thorax of the female beetles. After hatching, the maggots bore directly into the beetle's body cavity,killing it.
You can also use mechanical traps that utilize pheromones, the chemicals releases to attact mating beetles, which are highly effective. You do not,however, want the traps close to your garden as they will only trap about 75% of the beetles they attract. Contact your local Cooperative Extension about other ways that may be useful in your area. Sorry about the long-winded lesson. I get on this, my favourite subject, and can't stop going on and on.-Garth

Tscape
02-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Turfscape - wrong thread for that. Check out the other one at the top of the Pest. & Fert. forum.

Wrong thread for what? As I said, there is nothing in that thread to indicate whether James was banned or chose to quit participating. Yet everyone seems to know. What happened?

And since I have 7x the # of posts as you, I don't need you to tell me where to post. Thanks anyway.

cemars
02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
For Grubs you can use:
Imadacloprid ( Merit insecticide for turf; Marathon for nursery use.)
Bendiocarb
Isofenphos
Chlorpyrifos
Diazinon
-Garth
Actually, except for merit, none of those are good choices. Isohenpos, Chlorpyrifos and Diazinon are no longer labeled for residential or commercial use. The most commonly used product for existing grubs is Dylox (Dimethyl), or for a preventative, Merit or Mach 2.

Williams Services
02-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Wrong thread for what? As I said, there is nothing in that thread to indicate whether James was banned or chose to quit participating. Yet everyone seems to know. What happened?

And since I have 7x the # of posts as you, I don't need you to tell me where to post. Thanks anyway.
Your number of posts compared to anyone else's has no bearing on anything other than to prove you're a windbag. I'm a second-time arounder, so I guarantee I have more posts than you, if that satisfies you. You were hijacking the thread, which I have now done. THAT is why this is the WRONG THREAD for your question. I wanted this to be a productive and informative discussion, not another rant on following rules that, although unfair, are still the rules.

GARTH -
EXCELLENT POST!!

Williams Services
03-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm wondering why nobody has mentioned Sevin as being a more cost-effective method of grub control. $2.53/m as opposed to $3.76 for Mach 2 and $11.25/m for Merit.

jajwrigh
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I charge double the regular round price for fert w/ Merit.

Exactly what I do!!

ant
04-22-2006, 08:54 PM
cost

.20% merit 7-0-0 $44.95 does 14,300 sf. ($3.14/m)i get 1 1/2 to dubble the app. price.

mert .5g 1.4 LB/M $68.52 does 1ac.($3.19/m) i see guys getting 2x the app. price

Tscape
04-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Given a choice, choose Merit even if it is a little bit more. Mach II is unreliable in my experience.

Runner
04-24-2006, 12:27 AM
I agree fully. It's not worth the risk. Nor the scouting and callback factor.

bug-guy
04-24-2006, 07:34 AM
has anyone tried or heard of allectus. joint effort fmc and bayer bayer has the label. talstar and merit. comes in liquid, granular and on fert thru lesco

lawnboy
04-27-2006, 12:01 AM
is advesta still on the market? I heard a couple years ago how it was going to take over merit, but nothing since.

All Season Bill
04-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Everyone is going to give you a different price because of the different regions. Just get the Fert with the grub and charge for two applications.
Easy money!

(oh yeah - the grub should be about triple the fert rate price)

upidstay
04-29-2006, 10:16 AM
We use merit exclusively for preventative, and Dylox for curative (I like "rescue" treatment too) applications. Mach 2 stinks. Used it once, followed the directions religiously, and the local skunk population feasted happily on all of those grubs. Lost some customers too when they got the bill for renovating their lawns.
Sevin is to inconsistant for a curative. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, and who can afford "sometimes"?
Allectus just got labeled here in CT. It is is Merit and Talstar combined.Not labeled as a fertilizer combo product here yet. Don't know of anybody who sells Arena, but it is very similar chemically to Merit, and the trial info I have seen looks good.