PDA

View Full Version : zspray/msma

greenerpastures
05-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Well its time to fight dallisgrass down south. Pulled out the old hose rig and treated the most severe accounts as usual (1.75 gallons/K), but spent the whole time wondering if my zspray could have done the job as well(or safe)---definitely easier.

So I have begun to experiment. I treated a couple of tif 419 ballfields @20GPA water +3 lbs. msma/ac.---with some burn but not prohibitive. I am now moving to the #6 tips to treat at 30 GPA. So far so good. Dallisgrass control appears good and burn minimal. Second application should definitely be okay with the z at a lighter rate of msma. Common bermuda tolerance has been better than the 419. Any other comparable results out there would be appreciated.

junkyardjim
05-22-2004, 11:33 AM
GP, Is that the brown or AI11005-VS?

greenerpastures
05-23-2004, 12:04 AM
I am using teejet AI 11006 (grey) on my zspray for the 30 gpa rate. AI1004(red) for the 20gpa rate. Colors are usually consistent across manufacturers --- I also use spraymaster (John Deere) nozzles that use the same color code---they have a 120 degree angle instead of the 110 teejet.

junkyardjim
05-29-2004, 04:10 PM
GP, Where did u find the SKS foam marker system that u've got on u're z-spray? I need to get one. thankx

greenerpastures
05-29-2004, 05:46 PM
www.simpsonfarm.com/sks

Simpson foam markers have been a standard in the farm market---pretty reliable and rugged. I have seen some smaller turf markers from other makers out there that are quite a bit cheaper. I have a prior post with a picture. I used a GM style electrical plug for connections and battery bolts to secure it to the fertilizer tray. I can change it over to my other sprayer in less than five minutes. I just use one drop under the belly of my z, as compared to two drops on my 20' boom.

Have you applied any msma with your z? I am now backing off my rates to try and reduce burn. Seems like the closer to 1 oz/K vs. 1.5 oz/K gives safer results so far(30 gpa). Results have not been real consistent as of yet for me.

junkyardjim
05-29-2004, 10:46 PM
GP, Thanks for the link. Which SKS model # did you by?

I tested the 1.5 oz/K on my own lawn & smoked it! Actually, it's coming back fine now (but not good for customers). I'll try the 1 oz/K & let you know my results. A buddy of mine in N. AL has a PG & puts Chelated Iron in with the mix & says it helps reduce the bur look. Whatta ya think?

greenerpastures
05-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry--can't seem to locate a model #, but I believe it is a 5 gal. model (maybe T5). I did find the bill and it cost $663 a couple of years ago. If you do a google search for turf foam markers, you may find a little smaller unit for a couple of hundred less. My SKS will run at least 3 hours on a fill---so it could be smaller and still be efficient. I have had to make a couple of service calls to SKS and their support has been very good.

I have not tried the iron, but have read several posts who do the same. I did try a soluable fert product that may have helped a little (it did contain some iron). I believe I am going to stick with the 1oz rate or less in the z for the rest of the season unless it is a renovation project. What nozzles were you using?