PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom's

gscone
05-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Just noticed some nasty 'shroom's popping up on my lawn. What can i do at this point to stop them from coming up? I had the lawn re-sodded last year, if that helps.

GC

RjCjR
05-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Mushrooms are (usually) from something rotting under the lawn. Whether it's an old tree stump you covered up or a little stick, it can produce mushrooms. Plus, when it's nice and rainy/humid like this... you're definitely looking at favorable conditions.

A temporary fix: A bucket of warm soapy water (some dish soap)
A permanant fix: Dig up whatevers rotting :-(

If the mushrooms are in an arc or circular pattern: it's fairy ring
get a fungicide and aerate regularly.

These are just my recs.

Rich

James Cormier
05-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Mushrooms are the flowering body of a disease, usually a good sign of natural things happening in the soil.

Doster's L & L
05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
i'm noticing the same thing here on my lawn. gscone, are they small and offwhite-brownish?

Does anyone know if they will suck up Nitrogen? i've noticed my lawn to be a duller green than what it usually is.

gscone
05-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Doster's....the 'shrooms are a somewhat brownsih color. I've not had any for the past few days because I've been mowing higher and limiting the water the lawn has been getting.

GC

robertsturf
05-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Kick them over. Dead decaying wood under the ground that has become wet from rain. Don't waste your money on a fungiscide.

RjCjR
05-24-2004, 10:31 PM
nobody's believing my warm soapy water method?!

Doster's L & L
05-25-2004, 12:37 AM
RjCjr,
Will the soap not kill the grass? When i was a kid, i had one of those "tornados" that kids make with a 2 liter bottle with water and dish detergent with some Al foil. I kinda had a green thumb even as a kid. I grew some watermelons from seed and were getting pretty big. I got lazy one day cause i wanted to play rather than drag the hose all the way over to water the plants. I noiced the "tornados" and used that on them. Later they died.
Surely grass won't be different from the watermelons??

RjCjR
05-25-2004, 02:45 AM
A (little) dishsoap w/ warm water won't kill a grass plant.

now something stronger, floor cleaner, **** n span type stuff would.

Honestly guys, I've done this and have told probably 20-30 customers to do it and i've never seen any damage occur.

Rich