PDA

View Full Version : Two stupid questions.

SCFF
05-21-2004, 06:04 PM
1. Why shouldn't you use landscape fabric when installing shrubs and plants? I've heard it's not good for them but I haven't had any problems with anything I've planted?

2. Can Honeysuckle be rooted, or bought at a nursery? I've never paid it much attention but would like to plant some in near a wooded area by the house there's nothing better than waking up smelling the Honeysuckle early on a spring morning.

Thanks for any info.

Ice_Gargoylle
05-21-2004, 06:28 PM
well fabric should only be used with gravel or rock. any organic material on top will turn to soil thus wasting money and time of putting in fabric. it doesnt hurt the plants at all, it actually helps keep moister in.

i have to think you can find honeysuckle somewhere..you could always transplant it from somewhere else. our old nursery carried honysuckle.

neal-wolbertsinc
05-22-2004, 03:00 AM
Ever see a job 2 or 3 years after fabric was used? Edges blowing in the wind and weeds growing on top and in the holes. Why bother? Hire a licensed pro to do the herb. work for you and save yourself allot of grief and the owner allot of money. Neal

blafleur
05-22-2004, 10:37 AM
You're right, you shouldnt have had any problems with anything you planted. The thing about that stuff is that it does a pretty good job at keeping things from growing up through it, but eventually seeds sprout on top of it, and it doesnt do anything to keep roots from going down through it, which leaves openings for weeds underneath to get through.

It also prevents the natural cycle of the mulch breaking down into the soil.

As with Neal and Ice, I only use it under hard goods, and thats mainly for a stone/soil separator. One of the pleasant surprises I have found on this site is how many other landscapers is in agreement on this.

Wild honeysuckle is easy to root. I have started some at my house by unceremoniously jerking up a piece and sticking it in the ground. Keep it moist for a while and there you go, an unruly but fragrant monster to wrestle with.

Bryan

D Felix
05-22-2004, 10:53 AM
thats mainly for a stone/soil separator
That is a VERY important purpose for fabric under stone!

We are in the middle of a job right now where we have dug out old rock that had NO fabric under it, and will soon be replacing it with fabric, then rock. First time we have had to fix someone else's screw up like this, so we attacked it with the wrong equipment at the start.:( Quickly found out what we needed and got it though! It's still been a major PITA..........

Dan

polecat63
05-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Okay Felix. What did you use. I have to Demo a landscape before I instal the new one. I have to remove river rock, store it onsite wile the new beds are made, then re-install it. I've never removed rock like this (4-6" rocks) and need to know what equipment to use and how long it will take. ANy help????

D Felix
05-26-2004, 01:11 AM
:D:D:D:D****ROTFLMAO****:D:D:D:D

What did we use???? Started out with three guys and an MT50. Spent an hour trying to save, at most, $10 worth of river rock.

Finally said screw it, just started digging out the whole bed. Pulled all of the plants out except the trees and dug it out to about 8-10" deep with the MT50 on the first day. Second day brought a Bobcat 331E excavator to the job. This was partly due to the fact that we needed to remove rock on the topside of a 7' retaining wall and didn't particularly feel comfortable running a piece of equipment right along that wall. And it was faster!

It helped that the homeowner had a dump truck and 350 acres to lose 6-8 truck loads of crap in.:)

Now, had it been more expensive rock, we would have made more of an effort to save it. But spending $120 in labor for $10 of rock just wasn't adding up.

Plus, digging it out allowed us to backfill with better soil than the clay that was there. We dropped in a drain pipe to avoid the "bowl" effect from the surrounding area, and so far it has worked with the rains we've had in the last week.

Wish we could get back there and finish it soon...................

Dan

polecat63
05-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Thanks Dan! Wish I could tear it up like that, but I'll have to be a little more delicate on this job. AAlthough an excavator might do the job....:D