PDA

View Full Version : 180sq ft PATIO!?!??! what should i charge....

RedWingsDet
05-21-2004, 08:58 PM
okay, my teacher wants a patio. it is about 180sq feet. give or take 20ft. i figure 2$ a brick plus $75 to rent a tamper + 50 to take the existing grass to the dump. So i figured it would prolly take about a day.

i was thinking $1100 would be about fair. but i dont know. Mind you it is my teacher, he is a cool teacher, and i get an A so giving a cheaper price wont make my grade higher ;)

anyway, what would you charge for a job like so?

thanks, in advandce :)

brentsawyer
05-21-2004, 09:18 PM
What about a saw and vibratory plate compactor? Your probably going need those too, right. What about excavating, removal of topsoil?

kootoomootoo
05-21-2004, 09:49 PM
"Mind you it is my teacher, he is a cool teacher,"

since he is your teacher do it for free.

not.

AGLA
05-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I don't think you will solo that in one day. Six bucks a square foot is pretty cheap ($10 is about as cheap as it gets in my neighborhood) without including the sod removal and dump run.

If you are happy and he is happy, it must be OK.

RedWingsDet
05-22-2004, 12:13 AM
i planned on having one person help me. 3 would be to much for that small of an area.

landscapingpoolguy
05-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Sounds like yur headed for less then an A

Chuck

RedWingsDet
05-22-2004, 12:34 AM
well what would you guys charge for a patio that is 180sq feet. also how do i determine how many bricks i need, because the bricks are like an S and they are like 8x6 in. not 12x12.

NNJLandman
05-22-2004, 12:40 AM
I would charge maybe $4500 for the installation....8x6 pavers are extremely large....what are you using?

RedWingsDet
05-22-2004, 12:42 AM
8x6 inches buddy, not feet.... also. its only 180sq feet. why so much. 4500 is ALOT for that small of an area

steve in Pa.
05-22-2004, 12:47 AM
that would be about $3200.00 here.

RedWingsDet
05-22-2004, 12:52 AM
JEEZEUS. you guys really charge alot. i have been WAYYYY underestimating people i think.... anyway its only 12wide by 15long, so its only 180ft. so i dont see how you could get away with charging 3200 for that.

KenH
05-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by PremierLandscaping
well what would you guys charge for a patio that is 180sq feet. also how do i determine how many bricks i need, because the bricks are like an S and they are like 8x6 in. not 12x12.

I guess he is not a math teacher.......

hehe, only kidding.

brentsawyer
05-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Concrete pavers I presume. If the cost of the material was in the $2.50-3.00ft range, and I could easily install base, I would charge $2,100 there abouts more for difficulty for obstacles, etc.

Randy Scott
05-22-2004, 11:44 AM
JEEZEUS. you guys really charge alot. i have been WAYYYY underestimating people i think.... anyway its only 12wide by 15long, so its only 180ft. so i dont see how you could get away with charging 3200 for that.

This is your second reply saying guys are charging a lot for this work. Yet you are asking for our opinions. Don't ask a question for a price and then argue someone about what they charge. How can you say a price is too high when YOU don't know what to charge? You can't even figure out how many bricks you need when you already know the size of the patio area and the size of the brick. That's simple math and then you allow for cut-off waste based on the pattern or layout.

Apparently you've never done this before. Yet you argue guys pricing structure. I suggest doing it for what you originally quoted, and then come back to us and let us know how you made out. That should be a good learning curve for you. When asking price questions, you need to compare apples to apples. What's your overhead? What's others overhead? If I did a job like that for $1100 I would soon find myself and my business in the papers for bankruptcy!

RedWingsDet
06-02-2004, 12:46 AM
well i got it all figured out. im going to need about 650 bricks, they run .59 cents each plus tax, so figure $407. Plus figure TOPS another $300 for rental of machines. Plus another $50 to dump the old sod and dirt. Plus another $300 for the base and whatnot.

so figure itll cost me at most $1057.

thats not including labor helping me....

how long do you fellas this would take with 2 people helping me?

figure pay the 2 people that help me $100 a day each for 12hr days.

how long do ya think it'd take? about 2 days? one day excavating and preparing, and second day laying them in?

please help asap. thanks...

also, if it were to take 3 days, i would charge him about 3 grand. does this seem right? please help, thanks :)

RedWingsDet
06-02-2004, 11:39 PM
if i were to quote him about $3000, is that resonable, for both me, and him?

would it take about 36hrs? if it takes 36hrs, is 3 grand resonable?

thanks

D Felix
06-06-2004, 11:37 AM
JEEZEUS. you guys really charge alot. i have been WAYYYY underestimating people i think.... anyway its only 12wide by 15long, so its only 180ft. so i dont see how you could get away with charging 3200 for that. Then he says:
if i were to quote him about $3000, is that resonable, for both me, and him?
Sounds like someone is trying to join the real world now....
It sounds like you've figured it out, since you know what can and can't be charged....

Heck, charge him $5k and see what kind of profit you really make.:rolleyes:

Dan

RedWingsDet
06-06-2004, 04:05 PM
im learning FAST how much $ it really takes to run a business and how much expenses are. but thats part of life and its all good :) he is going to let me know next week his decision :)

kootoomootoo
06-19-2004, 11:25 AM
take that as a NO!

RedWingsDet
06-20-2004, 11:37 AM
well i didnt get it, he wants stamped concrete... anyway, i wish someone would have told me how expensive it costs to run a business. but hey, after a year or two it'll all be dandy and ill be on top! it costs alot (because first year so far has been spending money on equipment) but next year, or the year after, ill have all the equipment i need for a while (i plan on getting a 24ft trailer after i get my new truck). execpt then ill need a Z. hehe.

LawnsRUsInc.
06-20-2004, 06:13 PM
1100 is way to cheap if you cant bid it properly you probably cant build it right. Work with another contractor in your area to teach you or practice at your own home. The materials are going to cost close to $1100 and it will take much longer than a day not knowing whats going on. Also dont forget of maybe using a transit. also you want to put at least a 6-9" base of tb and then the silica sand to brush in, pack it every 2". I would bid about $3800 also why sell your materials at the same price you buy it for mark it up.

RedWingsDet
06-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LawnsRUsInc.
1100 is way to cheap if you cant bid it properly you probably cant build it right. Work with another contractor in your area to teach you or practice at your own home. The materials are going to cost close to $1100 and it will take much longer than a day not knowing whats going on. Also dont forget of maybe using a transit. also you want to put at least a 6-9" base of tb and then the silica sand to brush in, pack it every 2". I would bid about $3800 also why sell your materials at the same price you buy it for mark it up.

it seems like you havent read my previous posts, and just read the first post i made.