PDA

View Full Version : estimate for sod install

roadhawg3
05-21-2004, 10:20 PM
I have a customer with about a 30'x75' backyard that she wants to put in St Augustine sod. I am figuring 1 day for the prep work, Mowing, weeding,tilling etc. And 1 day to place the sod. I usually price my work by the day,anywhere form about $250.-$500 per day depending on the travel distance, and what type of equipment I may use. I have priced this at $375. a day for a total of $750. this is for labor only, sod and any other materials would be extra. I will be working with one helper. Just wondering if I am under bidding this job? To high? about right? Your input is appreciated, RH :confused:

landscapingpoolguy
05-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Charge by the sq ft....I get $.50 a sq ft plus prep work....i purchase teh sod at $.17 a sq ft

Chuck

BCSteel
05-22-2004, 03:55 AM
I will usually charge between $3-$5 per yard, installed, depending on the amount of prep work and terrain. Those are just averages though.

roadhawg3
05-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info, I think I will add some on to the price of the sod to make up the difference, as I believe I am way to low on my estimate.

blafleur
05-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I charge about the same as the others. I dont like the by the day method. As you get better, you work more efficiently and faster, you should benefit from that, not the customer. You are definately leaving money on the table.

Bryan

RedWingsDet
05-23-2004, 12:34 AM
i charge $1 per sq ft. i get sod at .12 cents a sq ft. so thats only for the sod. then i charge for removal of existing sod. then i add the equipment i will need to rent, then hauling the old sod away.

example a job i have right now is 2100 sq feet. im charging $2100 for sod, i pay $252 for it. Im also charging $625 for removing the old sod, hauling it off, and tilling it. then adding new sod....

i charged $2725 for the whole thing. I showed him the estimate and he said that was great and it was still cheaper from previous estimiates. :)

so after i rent a sod cutter, tiller, and roller, buy the sod, pay employees, pay for gas, and pay to dump the sod, im looking at about a $1900 profit, and it should only take 1 day to do. Dont short change yourself ;) some people are willing to pay for good work, and for instance with my case, i was still cheaper then some top dogs in my area ;)

hope that helps ya!!!

blafleur
05-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Area has something to do with it, you just couldnt get that kind of money here.