PDA

View Full Version : Blue Smoke

Getmow
12-11-2000, 02:52 PM
Hey guys I need some advice. I have a 97 2500 diesel. Since it has turned colder my truck is blowing blue smoke from the exhaust. This is only in the morning when I start it up and it stops within a couple of minutes of leaving. Any suggestions or is this normal??
Thanks
David

Getmow
12-12-2000, 08:55 PM
Nobody else with a diesel that smokes?? OK, the dealer said it is normal.

Gabe's
12-14-2000, 08:40 PM
Hello Get Mow
I also have a 97 2500 with a 5.3 cumminings in it. This is a normal action. All diesels do the same thing when they start up in the morning. When you blow execcisave smoke that continues when you should look into the matter more.

HOMER
12-29-2000, 10:07 AM
I haven't noticed any smoke on mine but have a question about the cummins. Have either one of you guys made any modifications to your engine. I am looking for the beginners way to create more HP/torque without spending a lot of money. Would running straight exhaust give me an increase in either? I know an air filter change will help but I had read somewhere that running without the muffler might net some performance gains.

John DiMartino
12-29-2000, 11:01 AM
Getmow,this is normal,it is from incomplete combustion,a result of being cold.Do not let it idle to warm up so much its not good for it.Start it,idle until oil pressure is up,then drive it gently until temp comes up,it wont smoke as bad if your working it a little. Homer-diesels need more fuel to make more power-the way with diesels is turn up fuel,and raise boost to accompany the fuel increase,very simple.Get yourself a set of 274Hp or Diesel dynamics stagte 1 or 2 injectors,thatll wake it up,from 33hp-75 hp gain,and sbout 200 ft lbs torque.If you want a quick easy(but more expensive)install,get a TST box,or an Edge fueling box.go to turbodieselregister.com,then go to discussions and look at the threads in the 24V section,lots of great info there.

Getmow
12-29-2000, 05:16 PM
Thanks John. I am wrench stupid under the hood of mine other than to change oil and filters. I would like to increase the hp and maybe put an exhaust brake on one day. Thanks again.