PDA

View Full Version : Had a bad day!

D Felix
05-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Yesterday was just bad all around.........

Temperature was almost 80 by the time we got to the job, with close to 95% humidity. That's HOT around here this time of year! Normal for July/August, but hot in May....

Got to the site, was a maintenance account. Pulled up, checked the bed edge for edging (thought it was there but wasn't sure, it wasn't), started trying to figure out how to progress. About that time the client came out and wasn't happy that I hadn't knocked on the door to let her know we were there. Mind you, we had been there less than 3 minutes at that point.... She later apologized, she realized that we hadn't been there that long.

Anyway, I was fine with everything to that point, we started pruning. I began pruning a lilac, and had worked to the back of it when it happened. I cut my middle finger on my left hand! I couldn't see my left hand and didn't think I was that close.... Left three drops of blood on the house in the VERY short time it took to withdraw my hand...... Yesterday afternoon brought four stiches for my finger and a tetnus shot for my left arm!

After wrapping my finger with gauze and somewhat stopping the bleeding, I decided to finish out the job then get my finger looked at by a doc.... Started mulching after we finished pruning. About 1/3 of the way through running in wheelbarrows, I had another OOOPSIE!!!! I put the outside tine of the mulch fork THROUGH the toe of my left boot!!!! Probably missed my big toe by mere fractions of an inch. It went in the toe of the boot, then came out the other side! 8" Georgia logger boots, mind you! Not some cheap Wal-mart boots... Now I'm considering a composite safety toe for my next pair when it comes time....

Anyway, the stiches were the worst part of it. The doctor started pumping in the local anesthetic, and it felt like my finger was going to explode! With the local, it swelled up to almost twice as big as it normally is. Ouch, ouch, ouch....

I'll try to get pics of my stiches on Monday, and I'll stick the mulch fork back in my boot and get a pic of that too.:D

Everybody, be safe out there! I try to be, but for some reason, it didn't happen yesterday!!!

Dan

kris
05-22-2004, 05:43 PM
LOL ... we all have rough days.

Couple ?'s ..your lilac's are done blooming already?

Your telling us that you weren't wearing certified work boots?

Not sure about there, but here they have a green patch ... steel toe and steel shank. Wouldn't think of working without them and anyone who shows up without, goes promptly home.

blafleur
05-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Good day to not be using a chain saw.

matthew horner
05-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Why would you post pics of your stiches?

D Felix
05-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Certified work boots? That's funny! AFAIK, boots are not required by anyone. I refuse to wear anything but boots at work anyway, I'd hate to think what would have happened had I not been wearing them. And, yes, our lilacs are done blooming here. And the cut that I made was on the backside of the bush, trimming it off of the house. Would have made that cut even if it was still blooming.

As for the chainsaw, well, I'm VERY carefull with those. But I probably would have hestitated to run one yesterday! I was hesitant to drive home.:D

If you don't want to see a pic of my stiches, fine. Might be a good training tool for someone though. I do intend to get a pic of my boot with the fork in it. That was kinda cool after I got over my initial shock!

Dan

blafleur
05-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Can you pose the pruners back on the cut for the pics?

Stihl036pro
05-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Some days your better off not getting out of bed!

DFW Area Landscaper
05-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Did you cut your finger with powered hedge trimmers?

If that's how it happened, it doesn't surprise me that much. Those things are just down right dangerous. I mean, when you look at them and what they're designed to do, they just scream missing finger.

I've wondered what would happen if you ever got a finger down in the teeth. Usually, when I use mine on branches that barely fit between the teeth, it has to gnaw on the twig for a little while. I figured a finger would be the same, but I've also wondered if it wouldn't cut it right off like a small twig.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

D Felix
05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Nope, pruners were my old and trusty Felco 2's. Just put a new blade on them a couple of months ago, probably a good thing they need to be sharpened!

I called my father to ask how deep was deep enough to get stiches (he was an EMT up until a couple of years ago), he said someone he works with cut his middle finger clear to the bone about two years ago. Fortunately I didn't go that deep!

Dan