PDA

View Full Version : Dollar Spot.....

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 05:09 PM
So what LIQUID product do you guy's use for spraying at a curative rate on Dollar Spot in an established Fescue lawn.

I have one customer who waters like water is free and he's got Dollar Spot BAD.

GroundKprs
05-22-2004, 05:33 PM
If he's overwatering, no sense trying to control dollar spot. He's growing dollar spot, not turfgrass, with excess irrigation. Trying to control dollar spot only with pesticides is irresponsible management. Only if other cultural practices are correct, and weather causes the excess moisture to enhance dollar spot, would it be useful to treat it.

Over-irrigation is the most damaging thing to landscapes - turf and ornamentals. It's way above any natural problems.

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Jim,

Thank you for that!

I know and agree with everything you've said.

However, when the customer asks you "what is this growing in my yard" and you explain it to him what it is, tell him the cause, then explain to him the proper watering technique time and time again for 4 full seasons and he STILL chooses to water EVERY SINGLE DAY except Friday and Sunday, rain or shine, then he say's he want's something done about the dollar spot..........

My intentions are to charge him for the service, advise him how to stop it from happening in the future (AGAIN) and continue to treat the dollar spot till the dollar spot goes away or winter comes whichever comes first.

I'm guessing that if I charge him over $600 for fungicide treatments like I did last year..........sooner or later he'll get the message and allow me to program his Rain Bird system.

Now...........what LIQUID product would you recommend?

Enviro Green
05-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Fore with Eagle Tank Mixed, follow up with a systemic.

I usually also fert.

EG

Green Pastures
05-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Lesco carry the products you've mentioned?

Enviro Green
05-22-2004, 11:31 PM
They should, I don't buy these from them. Check the label for the curative and preventative rates and watch the need for re-application.

As previously mentioned it is importnat to mention cultural items which can reducde the incidience of dollar spot, but sometimes a treatment will help....

Grassmechanic
05-23-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree with GroundKprs that a fungicide program in this situation is irresponsible. You need to educate the customer that he is causing the damage to his property by over-watering. Once he cuts back on the water, Daconil will clear up DS rather quickly. I'd personally use 1/2# N/ 1000 sf to mask DS.

Green Pastures
05-23-2004, 06:01 PM
I've had this customer for 4 seasons now. I've told him at least a dozen times that he is watering incorrectly and to boot, at the wrong time of day.

I've provided him with pamplets on proper watering techniques,

I've given him links to websites on proper watering techniques,

I've had his irrigation company to come out and re-program his sprinkler system for proper watering he just goes right back to doing what he is going to do on his own property.

I appreciate you guy's trying to tell me about proper watering, but I KNOW THAT, you're preaching to the choir!

I cannot force him to listen to me or anyone else for that matter.

I guess I should have posted all this information in my original post.

Thanks for the advice on watering, but I just want to know what you would use to combat the fungus GIVEN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, cuz the circumstances aren't going to change.

Thanks.

Grassmechanic
05-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Well then, there's a saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". Get him on a monthly fungicide program with Bayleton and Heritage and charge him up the wha-zoo.

Green Pastures
05-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.

:D

GroundKprs
05-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Yo, Mike, you have an old jug of Daconil? Not labelled now for residential application, is it? If I had a problem in the past, about half rate Daconil and quarter rate Fungo Flo was good for a month, but neither are labelled for residential now. (I do have some of both with old labels.)

Sorry, GreenP, I spent quite a few years doing what clients wanted me to do, but I spent that time learning. Now people hire me for what I know, not for what they want me to do. I have had clients like yours, and if they get two instructions on how to water, and do not follow them, they are no longer clients of mine. I have very upscale clients who I have taught to read the lawn, to determine when to water - their sprinklers are never on automatic. When they see the lawn needs a drink, they set it to run next morning. One of these only ran his irrigation 3 times one year, but then he is not the type that needs to show off his irrigation system, LOL.

If you need the business, follow Mike's suggestions. I would tell the client that he is ruining my efforts by over-irrigation, and I will not work at a useless task, no matter what the pay.

Green Pastures
05-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I've actually considered dropping this guy.

If it weren't the highest profit margin job I have I probably would be more inclined to do just that.

He really is a major pain in the butt.

James Cormier
05-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Im sure when he finds out how much a monthy fungi program will cost him, (while your at add aeration several times a season) he may change his mind on how much to water.

TSM
05-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GroundKprs

... Now people hire me for what I know, not for what they want me to do. I have had clients like yours, and if they get two instructions on how to water, and do not follow them, they are no longer clients of mine.

I would tell the client that he is ruining my efforts by over-irrigation, and I will not work at a useless task, no matter what the pay.

Bingo!
I also have a problem with customers who call constently and yet will not follow my instructions!

If you think this customer is a pain now, what do you think is going to happen if you start charging him big $$$ for monthly fungicide? Many labels will recommend 10-14 day intervals if weather conditions favor the target, so going monthly he's out the cash and you're still dealing with his phone calls!

Personally, I'd tell him he's got to do it my way or find another company to harass, but thats just me

Pilgrims' Pride
05-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi GP,

I have to agree with Jim and TSM on this one.
I'm sure that this guy is the one who leaves the most messages on your machine and expects you to drop everything to accomodate him.
Sorry gang---------to much trouble.
It wouldnt matter to me how wonderful a customer he is or how much you make off the account.
He's too much trouble.
Do the math all the way through. Add the time that you lose with your family or doing whatever else you could be doing
You have been dealing with him too long.
I'd tell the guy one more time to change his watering habits, follow your instructions, and things will be fine.
If not, send him to TG

RjCjR
05-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I've never used a fungicide for a little dollar spot. Just a little slow release fert. will bring the N back up to where it should be. All this rain/humidity is stripping the grass of it's N.

Grassmechanic
05-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by GroundKprs
Yo, Mike, you have an old jug of Daconil? Not labelled now for residential application, is it? If I had a problem in the past, about half rate Daconil and quarter rate Fungo Flo was good for a month, but neither are labelled for residential now. (I do have some of both with old labels.)
yeah, Jim, it's an old jug of Dac. I use it mostly for roses. I guess I'll have to find something else, perhaps Banner. Don't you just miss the good ole days when you could mix up some Dac and 1991, or some Acti-Dione and get a months worth of control for pennies/1000 sf ?

TurfProSTL
05-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
yeah, Jim, it's an old jug of Dac. I use it mostly for roses. I guess I'll have to find something else, perhaps Banner. Don't you just miss the good ole days when you could mix up some Dac and 1991, or some Acti-Dione and get a months worth of control for pennies/1000 sf ? Daconil (chlorthalonil) (sp?) was great because you could mix it with just about any of the systemics at their lowest rates. Keeping the cost down and actually controlling the diseases better than the systemic alone at the highest rate. I guess only the golf course superintendents are using the Daconil now. :(

Green Pastures: If you feel like you have to do fungicides on this prima donna customer, I would suggest the Eagle/Fore combination as a first application, then switch systemics to one like Bayleton, then another Eagle/Fore spray if you need to do a third..... monthly.

Of course, I haven't used a fungicide in a long time because I've been using organic fertilizers for the past 2+ seasons..... :o