PDA

View Full Version : Stone for retaining wall?

EagleLandscape
05-23-2004, 01:26 AM
I've got roughly a 20' x 3' wall that needs to be put in to hold back some erroding dirt by a customers driveway. Nothing fancy at all. Really easy access, just about 1.5 yards of dirt for backfill, so its a pretty small job. ANyways, anyone know of a good place in the Richardson / Dallas area to get some blocks for walls? I was at HD tonight getting some paint for a friend and I looked at the regular-common wall blocks theyve got, although I couldn't get them to stack right, I couldnt figure it out, anyways...

little help would be much appreciated.

blafleur
05-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Why wouldnt they stack right? For a small job, HD is as good a place as any to get it.

Bryan

EagleLandscape
05-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Well... You know how you stack each course about .5 of an inch back from the one underneath it? Well, these had this little ridge on the back of them so much that I wouldnt let the next course fit firmly on top, it kind of leaned foward... :-\ Maybe I just picked up a weird block or something:-\

D Felix
05-23-2004, 12:46 PM
That little "lip" goes on the bottom of the block. You set the block on top of the lower block, then slide the top one forward until the lip catches the backside of the bottom block.

Thats how you get the batter on those walls. It's built in.

I could say more, but you might take it the wrong way!:D

Dan

DowntoEarthLLC
05-23-2004, 07:27 PM
I've got a wall about the same size that a customer asked me about the other day. The wall is needed in between his driveway and the neighbors. My customers drive way is about three feet higher than the neighbors and soil is eroding onto his drive way. So he wants a retaining wall to stop the erosion. I've never done a wall this size outside of what we did in school. I was thinking of installing a french drain underneath the wall to help with drainage. Will something like this work? whats the going rate for installing retaining walls? 25-30$ per foot?

Also the customer asked if I had liablity insurance incase the wall failed or something... I have liability insurance but it does not cover faulty workmanship...What insurance covers this stuff?

Maybe I should just sub-contract this out. How would I go about asking the subcontractor if I could work with him. Do many mind this kind of stuff?

o-so-n-so
05-23-2004, 07:45 PM
All of the concrete products at the mass merchant retailers seem to be the most simple to build but yet I have not seen to many to hold up over the years. Seems the wall always sag or lose the straight edge.
I think that might be due to lack of knowledge when the install is done.

Check around....other sources my have a better product.

O-O