PDA

View Full Version : Give a quote - homeowner then does it.

kootoomootoo
05-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Gotta laugh when you get a guy who says he has $20000 to spend and you go drive by a few weeks later and the friggin homeowner is doing it himself. Had one today. He has "installed"
(code for fu.cked up) about 100ft of wall across the front of the $450000 house and the wall is crooked everywhere. Hes had 100 bales of straw sitting out in the rain with only the top covered etc etc.

I might send the wife a sympathy card!.

D Felix
05-23-2004, 02:50 PM
They exist everywhere. Everybody thinks they can landscape. The smart ones realize they are better off paying for a good 'scape, rather than half-assing something themselves.

Granted, there are those homeowners that can do it and make it look nice, but there are many more that can't!

Dan

MudslinginFX4
05-23-2004, 04:38 PM
No, what I hate is when someone calls me up for a quote on pinestraw and I go out there, take the time to measure everything out and give them the quote of X dollars. The next question they ask me is how many bales is that? I tell them I charge $7.00 per bale, so it will be X bales. They then tell me they will get back to me and let me know if they want the work done. The next week I ride by the house and see close to the exact number of bales I quoted sitting outside the house. URR... that pisses me off!

o-so-n-so
05-23-2004, 06:32 PM
I had this happen to me with the neighbor of one of my mowing customers. Wanted a price to do a mulch job. Now, this person (a Doctor) inquired on hauling a specific amount of mulch and to install it as well. I give him a price and he repeated the price back to me letting me know that he thought the price was outrageous. ($40.00 + retail cost per cu.yd. to haul N install. About 57.50 per yard is what i quoted). The bad part for the Doc is that he did't give me a chance to explain to him that the mulch would not hold on the steep grade unless you retain it somehow.
A few weeks later the mulch was installed by the Doc. A few weeks after that the mulch was in the neighbors lawn installed by Mother Nature (rain). Would you know that the Doc won't even wave or speak to me now. I did nothing. Well maybe I do wave at him with a big smile every time I see him.

Spend a dollar to save a dime.

O-O

desertrat
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I have this happen all the time. I work with a decorative rock company and bid rock jobs all the time. I give the rock price and the install price. They say that they can get the rock cheaper somewhere else, and that is sometimes true. But, I have measured their yard and given them the exact amount of rock they need. They take the numbers and buy the rock somewhere else. It is just a part of doing business. For everyone of those jerks I get 3 that buy the rock and the install. I get $30 a ton for install, and usually install 20 tons in 3 hours with three guys and a tractor. Quick money. *** those people, it's a numbers game, 20 bids a week, 5 installs, I make money.

TREEGODFATHER
05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Happens all the time in trees.

I sometimes get called back to a property I quoted because the homeowner then tried to "dot it themselves" and landed the tree on something other than the ground.

Rtom45
05-24-2004, 02:34 PM
For one time quotes, it might be worth your while to charge for the quote. If the owner doesn't want to pay for your time, maybe somebody else can do their figuring for them.

desertrat
05-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Yea, I am thinking about charging $20 for decorative rock quotes.

Lombardi
05-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Giving quotes is considered part of your job. We all get "used" occasionally by DIYers, but if you showed up and were courteous, chances are they will call you to do an actual job or refer you to someone else.

blafleur
05-25-2004, 08:19 PM
I agree, pretty much part of the job, I guess all trades deal with it. I have been called back to redo it. One of them I told them no, the other I did it and really made it worth my while.

Bryan

polecat63
05-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Gave a quote to a current cusromer to install a few tons of river rock in an existing bed on a slope. He decided to do it himself. Looked gret for about two weeks. Then the plastic edging he used to hold the rock in place gave way and now he pays extra for me to clear all the rock before I mow. Ain't life a hoot!