PDA

View Full Version : Leak in system

smcguirt
05-23-2004, 10:59 PM
I have had a what I thought was a bad R-50 Rainbird rotor because water has been seeping out of the top so I dug up around it and replaced it. Well it appears that the rotor was not the problem I must have a leak somewhere around the rotor up the line and it is seeping out around the head and making its way up and out of the ground is all I can figure. My question is how hard is it to find these type of leaks? And of course it is not in a low visiblity area it is smack dab in the front yard for everyone to see so I don't want to try a mutilate the front yard in the process. This is my first sprinkler system also. My question is, would I be better off getting a professional out to find and repair the leak and what does something like that cost? I am in Georgia in the metro Atlanta Area, Dallas to be exact if anyone knows of a good sprinkler company. Any help would be appreciated.

JimLewis
05-24-2004, 12:55 AM
First of all, is this the lowest head in the zone? If so, it's not leaking, it's just draining. If there is a difference in elevation throughout a zone, after watering the water will naturally flow downhill to the lowest head and seep out of the top of that head. That is a natural thing. It can be fixed by changing to a special nozzle or head that seals tight when it's not pressurized. But without that kind of nozzle or head, you're going to always have seepage.

DanaMac
05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
If the water is always "seeping" out, it is a problem with the valve, not the head. The diaphragm is probably damaged and allowing a little water to always go by and it will then leak out of one of the heads. If that is the case, find which valve and try replacing the diaphragm if possible,

smcguirt
05-24-2004, 08:35 AM
I thought about the drain down as well because it is probably the lowest head in the front yard, but I haven't ran the sprinkler in a few days to see how long it would leak or if it was drain down and it is still seeping out. Thanks for the tips, the previous home owner installs irrigation systems and obviously installed this one so I will ask him and see if it is drain down.

JimLewis
05-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Ok. well, there's a quick way to find out if you have a constant leak or not;

1) Make sure all water is off in the house. If you have a leaky toilet, turn off the valves to that toilet. Make sure there's no water at all being used in the house

2) Check the water meter. Is the dial spinning at all? The little blue triangle spinning at all? If not, then there is no leak in the irrigation system - at least not a constant 24 hour leak like a leaky valve would cause. If you DO see something spinning on the water meter than that means there's either a leak in the mainline somewhere or you have a leaky valve.

I guess you'd probably want to also check the valve and make sure that it's not slightly open manually. If it were opened manually (as opposed to electronically) and then not closed all the way, that could be the reason as well.

aquamtic
05-24-2004, 04:24 PM
If you think you have a spring leak in a lateral line- Then you need to cap up your head nozzles so that they do pop up but no water is flowing. Make sure the lawn is cut down and than run that zone for about 15-20 minutes. Not walk around that zone area and look for puddling at the surface. We have been able to find many leaks this way and also heads that are completely burried under the lawn.

The method that Jim uses above is great for checking your lines that are under pressure

greenwayirrigation
05-24-2004, 05:23 PM
sounds like a weepy valve. call a sprinkler guy, it will save you money in the long run

Cutters Lawn Care
05-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Hydro Irrigation in Douglasville can help you out.