PDA

View Full Version : Changing seasonal beds from bulbs, to annuals.

eggy
05-24-2004, 10:30 AM
I am wondering what to do on a seasonal bed. Tulips are sed to create early spring color, howver annuals should be down by now. The right thing to do for tulips is to let them die out and turn brown before cutting back....However that would not let annuals to be put in the ground for another month. Is it typical to remove the tulips and replant each fall or what other soulutions are there to allow for tulips and annuals in the same bed, without allowing th tulips to die out?:p

D Felix
05-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Many hold the opinion that tulips do not do well after the first year. With this in mind, here is what I've seen done at a previous employer:

In the fall, excavate bed out to a depth of 6" or so. Layout tulips in a grid pattern, backfill. Then plant cold season annuals (usually cabbage/kale).

Remove the cold season annuals when appropriate. In the spring, before tulips emerge, or right after they begin to emerge, plant spring annuals (usually pansies) of a contrasting color to the tulips.

When the tulips are finished blooming and it's time for summer annuals, excavate out the bed again, removing the tulips. Re-fill and re-plant with summer annuals.

This was done with the high $$$ clients and was fairly labor intensive. But it looked really cool.

What you do with lower $$$ clients based on this, is for you to figure out if you need to!

Dan

Grassmechanic
05-26-2004, 07:56 AM
I plant the annuals among the bulbs, then as the bulbs die back, trim them to the ground. By that time, the annuals are nice and full.