PDA

View Full Version : Wearing trailer tires out

HacMan91
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Im going through 4 tires per year on my trailer. I have a 8 1/2 by 20 haulmark enclose trailer. I think Im OK on weight. Im carrying a 36" exmark walkbehind, 36" walker, 52" exmark, weedeaters edgers, and some misc stuff. Ive tried different pressures, last year I ran 35lbs and 4 months later on the new tire I started around 40lbs. I cant remember the exact size tire but I know its a 6 ply tire at round $80 a piece. We have alot of cul-de-sacs and the only thing I can up with is the tight turning in them. I guess while turning the tires tend to slide a little. They all dont wear out at the same time. This month the right rear is showing some metal, next month one of the others will be due and by the late fall the right rear will be ready again. Any suggestions or ideas will be apprecieated. Thanks.

Green Pastures
05-24-2004, 06:18 PM
I just changed the two back tires on my 8x20 enclosed trailer after 2 years of owning it.

Buy some better tires.

I have Goodyear Marathon trailer radials on mine. 2 years on the rear 2, front 2 are still pretty good.

I keep 40 PSI in mine, 5 under the max PSI.

riches139
05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
I run mine at 50 psi. Goodyears also, but not sure if they are Marathons or not.

Go by the recommended pressure on the side of the tires.

P&C Lawn Care
05-25-2004, 08:35 AM
What brand of tires and what kind are you running? New tires (even passenger car tires) should not wear out that fast. Don't buy performance tires for a utility type trailer.

xcopterdoc
05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
two axle tire trailers will skid the tires when making tight turns. I have also found that most trailer axles are not properly aligned also. Toe and camber angle will wear tires. Keep a close eye on the front to rear wear and the side to side wear. This will indicate where the problem lies.

specialtylc
05-25-2004, 10:31 PM
We wear out a lot of tires on our tandem trailer also. We put over 10,000 mile a year on them and usually get about 2 years at most. If you do alot of city driving and sharp turns and backing up like I do they dont last long. Trailer tires also dont have as deep of tread as a truck tire. Keep them at max air pressure and they will do the best. We use a 205-15 C rated tire. Also keep a close eye on the brakes as you may be skidding the tires and dont even know it. With electric brakes its real important to keep them adjusted to factory specs.

Mr Dane
05-26-2004, 03:53 AM
look at yur trailer and truck when fully loaded and make sure that they are level i did that and noticed that i started saving on tires and you also have to compensate when you have grass in the back of the truck by moving the equipment around on the trailor i run carlisle tires and have had good luck with them for the last 4 years

Mr_Marc
05-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Leval ride and tire rotation are the key. I rotate the tires on my
F-250 every oil chnage, and the tires on my 8X20 Pace American Summit Every Week. Yea I know I'm overdoing it but what the heck. Last tires on my Ford Ranger I got 76,000 out of them.

HacMan91
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replys. I talked to a tire guy about it, he said it might be the hanger springs letting the tires flex too much around turns. I plan to take it to a leaf and spring shop and let them take a look at it.