PDA

View Full Version : Fertilize Fescue lawn in late spring-early summer

Doster's L & L
05-24-2004, 08:04 PM
I normally don't like to fertilize Fescue in the summer, but this is a request from a potentially good client. I know that i need about 1/2 lbs of N and i want atleast 1lb on P, what do you recommend for K? i'm thinking about using some 10-24-15. i think it's 15. something like that. I know it's 10-24 though. Any help is appreciated.

ChickensDoo
05-24-2004, 10:35 PM
try using an organic or organic based product to spoon feed and add organic matter when microbes are @ their most active.

ParkerLawn
05-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Do not over apply N as you will get brown patch or dollar spot with N this late in the spring.

1stclasslawns
05-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Why do they want N this time of year? Is it for color? if so use some ferrious sulfate.

If for growth use a slow release N.

timturf
05-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Why so much p now. Why not apply .5 to 1 lbs/m of nitrogen, the real question is if any is slow release, how much, how long is the release time, and what is the souirce and manufactor. Up to 1lb/m of nitrogen from uf wouldn't cause any problem! Whatch the k too, anything but sulfate will add to the burn possiblity! Usually a quality putting greens fert would be a good choice for this time of year. Most brown patch on residential lawns more a problem from improper watering, water management!

Doster's L & L
05-25-2004, 03:49 PM
tim,
i figure that if i use more P now, this will drive the roots into the ground to prevent browning in the heat and drought. The roots are gonna be further in the ground where more of the water is gonna be. There is no irrigation system in their lawn, so i need to put extra P. If my thinking is wrong, anyone please correct me.

I still don't know how much K i'm gonna need.

James Cormier
05-25-2004, 06:20 PM
Parker, you can control dollar spot with N, its a sign of low N

You may be thinking of fusiarum blight

timturf
05-26-2004, 08:41 AM
doster,
but now isn't the time that grass plants produce roots. Majority of root growth starts in fall and optimuim root growth is late winter for cool season turf!

Doster's L & L
05-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Ahh, i see! That's what i was needing to know! Thanks for your reply, tim. I now have a soil test in hand, so now i'll use this and put down what is needed. Thanks for the help.

ThreeWide
05-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Despite what was already discussed here, my answer would be this:

Applying Potassium is always a good idea to help survive drought conditions. Also, you can apply Iron for color without the N risk.

timturf
05-27-2004, 11:26 PM
and the iron will also help with the stress!

James Cormier
05-28-2004, 01:02 PM
Tim, I alway thought of iron as only a "green paint" for turf, are there really anyother benifits other that that?

More and more suppliers are coming out with iron in their products, costs are much higher for staight fert with Iron, but I not sure if its worth the higher costs.

Doogiegh
05-28-2004, 01:33 PM
My Lesco guid (although it's for cool season grasses) show the application for June-July to be either a 24-5-11 or 24-0-11??

ThreeWide
05-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Doogiegh, that guide may be correct for the Northeast.

In the South I normally do not fertilize fescue at all during June-July-August. The heat, humidity and lack of rain normally causes it to go dormant. Allowing it to go dormant is actually a good thing as the plant uses nutrients at the root level. This allows it to bounce back once conditions improve.

We avoid fertilization to prevent the turf from being too succulent as the harsh conditions approach. The main thing to avoid applying right now is Nitrogen.

trailjunkee
05-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Try looking for a product called Melorgonite (not sure on spelling sorry). My supplier recommended this as a substitute to N for greening. It's a reprocessed waste material of some sort (probably sewage). Low nitrogen so it shouldn't burn or speed up growth too much plus low rates on your other mains plus iron. His recommendation is a early June and early August application with Nitrogen later in the year after grass is dormant. Honestly I haven't tried it yet but will be applying to properties that would like it probably second week of June. @ $8 per 50 lbs covers @12,000 sf. from what I remember.

Later
Bryan

ThreeWide
05-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Milorganite contains 6% N, which is still something we in the South should avoid during the summer with fescue. It's true that the product won't burn the turf, but we just don't need the N in this case.

The product website suggests 1/2 lb N per 1,000 sq ft. It might be possible to apply this at a very low rate to dilute the N impact.

Also note that it contains only 3% Iron, which was the direction this thread was heading.

I'd still stick with a pure Iron application.

timturf
05-29-2004, 12:08 PM
3-4lbs per year of iron PER ACRE will help cool and warm season turf over come stress. Look for research by schmidt at Va Tech

milorganite 6-2-0 4 fe applied at .5 to .75 lbs of n/m in summer months wouldn't overly stimulate cool season turf in the transition zones! Should last 6-12 weeks. No different the gc spoon feeding bent greens all summer at @ .1 lbs of n per week or bi weekly. Again rates depend on previous fert applications, type of n and rates. Got to look at the big picture