PDA

View Full Version : ok neighbor????

steve in Pa.
05-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Did a estimate last year on a patio with a retaining wall, I go by this house everyday on the same street as my home. Aprox. 500 feet away. Anyway I saw one day that someone had dug out for the wall and patio with a mini excavator. It honestly looked like the homeowner was doing it himself. I thought no big deal. Next day or two I noticed blocks delivered. So now I'm really thinking the homeowner is doing it himself to save a few bucks. The homeowner's car was never there in the morning or at night but progress was being made on the wall. Anyway one day I came home for something during work time and low and be hold a scamscaper's there putting up the wall. Now i'm a little hot but oh well I think to myself. They get the wall done with the base being limestone dust. Then they start laying the patio ontop of about 6" of limestone dust?????? I'm thinking should I say something to the homeowner or just let it go and let him find out the hard way cheaper is not alway better!!!!!!! I let him go. So the patio's in and wall backfilled and to top it all off, he has the balls to use my landscape design for a flowerbed behind the wall. Talk about a slap in the face every day??? Just wanted to vent on this a little. Should I ask him what his price was compared to mine, ask if the scamscaper gave him a warranty because he's going to need it, or just keep my mouth shut and wait for the repair call?

EagleLandscape
05-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Never give the customers your plans that you draw, unless they pay for them. I learned that the hard way as well.

Danimal
05-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to me.It was a regular mow customer of ours. I've learned as well never leave plans behind.

fishman644
05-25-2004, 10:24 PM
it takes you time and cost you money when you could be doing something else. then if you get the job you can use your judgement and give them a break on the plans or not in appreciation for the buisness.

Capal
05-25-2004, 10:28 PM
I got one sim. to that one...only this 1 I laughed till I cried. I was giving an estimate on a $30,000 wall with 2 tears and a waterfall/pond in the middle... Make a long story short...cust. asked me how I was going to build it..I told him he said he could cut the cost back here and there and get by. Well, it was about 3 months later I went by there the wall was beautiful and I was impressed. Then the rains came and the wall BLEW OUT into his house...into his garage which killed a new jaguar...he called me up and said "what did I do wrong"? Come to find out no french drain was put in and the dirt/mud blew out. Cost on this house and re-build the wall correctly was $50,000. People will learn...just sometimes the hard way.

AGLA
05-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Now that is a heart warming story!

"do it yourself and save" = "@#$% yourself, it's cheaper"