PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Question

Fareway Lawncare
05-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Hello Magnamatic!

I'm no physics eXpert so mabe you can help me out here....The blades in this pic are not fiXed to the disc hence the plastic clamps...Now if I were take off that black clamp on the bottom blade and affix it to the other side of the blade on top so there was a clamp of equal weight on both sides of that blade could I balance this configuration accurately or is the top blade going to cause too much disruption?....I Know there's Too Much Caked Grass but this is just a hypothetical for now...

Also there's a zerk on the 8000 that's not mentioned in the manual...when to grease?

Doc Pete
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Hello Magnamatic!

I'm no physics eXpert so mabe you can help me out here....The blades in this pic are not fiXed to the disc hence the plastic clamps...Now if I were take off that black clamp on the bottom blade and affix it to the other side of the blade on top so there was a clamp of equal weight on both sides of that blade could I balance this configuration accurately or is the top blade going to cause too much disruption?....I Know there's Too Much Caked Grass but this is just a hypothetical for now...

Also there's a zerk on the 8000 that's not mentioned in the manual...when to grease?

NO, No and No. You cannot balance the 4 blades with all blades on. You can balance each set of two though, separately.
Unless the "center of mass" (C.G.) of each blade runs directly though the center of each blade, and the hole for each blade is exactly though this same center, you cannot blade the system as a whole. Furthermore, each blade must be exactly 90 degress apart from each other, or again it will not balance correct.
DP

HayBay
05-28-2004, 01:31 PM
I thought I read somewhere here that you shouldn't remove the blades from the Meg-Mo setup as the nuts are held on with Loc-Tite. It was mentioned to sharpen all as one.

I know that doesn't answer the question of how to balance but I am curious too.

Doc Pete
05-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by HayBay
I thought I read somewhere here that you shouldn't remove the blades from the Meg-Mo setup as the nuts are held on with Loc-Tite. It was mentioned to sharpen all as one.

Since you're in Canada, how's your Friend "Fareway Lawncare", plus maybe he can answer your question.....
Part-time Pete

Magna-Matic
05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to pop in a let you know that we are gathering the information for your post, and will answer soon.

Thank you,

Fareway Lawncare
05-28-2004, 05:53 PM
HayBay..You can Remove the Knives as long as you Apply Red Loctite when reataching...

HayBay
05-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks Fareway,

Let me know where you purchased those blades (if you got them on the Canadian Side) if you dont mind.

Fareway Lawncare
05-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Ordered them Directly from Meg-Mo...Also Ordered lots of eXtra knives @ like $4 a Pop...With OEM Blade prices nearing $30 from Dealer & Aftermarkets losing the quality Sweepstakes they actually won't cost much more than buying a bunch of OEM's & should Last longer because of the Harder Steel....

you don't have to take the knife off to sharpen.

HayBay
05-29-2004, 09:23 PM
I know we are going a bit off topic here but I will try and fit that into the magnamatic theme.

Fareway, YOu ever hear of Vickers Marketing in Guelph?

THey are a Knockoff of the OEM's it looks like. I paid $22.00 per hi-lift blade for 12 of them. I have set up doubles on my 54" and I feel like I am going to fly away. They cut pretty nice. The Foley works well sharpening them.

I did talk with Gerd about ordering a Magnamatic and he refered me to an Alberta Dealer, I called and talked with a salesman at the Golf Club (I think It was a Golf Club). He then said I would receive a call back from the guy who ships the magnamatic. 3 weeks of waiting for a return call later I put my order in for the Foley.

Fareway, You ever deal with Neil at WE Enterprises, nice guy he used to work at Current Power as a MEchanic.

I have some business (not Lawn Care) in Streetsville, You know that area at all?

Gerd (Magnamatic), Did YOu get my email for the Balancer? I thought we could try shipping direct to me.

Fareway Lawncare
05-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Neils's a Great Guy...Very Knowledgeable...FiXes stuff on the Spot & tweaked all my Suzuki Prolines to 3600RPM's Free of Charge...Best guy I've dealt w/at any Dealership which is why WE won my buisiness....I used to go to Kooy Bros.....

Ordered the Mag directly from Mag.

Doc Pete
05-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by HayBay

Actually, there's really no reason for this topic in the first place, and I'm at a loss as to why it was started.
Megmo "clearly" states his blades are self balancing, so why are we discussing this?????

Fareway Lawncare
05-30-2004, 10:29 PM
I prefer to Self Balance Myself...

Are you still planning to answer Magnamatic or is it a Wash?

Doc Pete
05-30-2004, 10:39 PM
I prefer to Self Balance Myself...

I totally agree with you, however, what does that say about megmo???? Either you like to waste a ton a time on something needless, or you have reservations like me.....

Rustic Goat
05-30-2004, 11:38 PM
The Meg Mo knives are not fixed in one place while in operation, would be very unlikely that any balancing attempt would be successful.

If you insist on 'balancing' a Meg Mo set up, you'd need to remove the knives, sharpen them, then balance them by making the weight of each of the 4 knives be the same.
That's as close as you're going to get.

Fareway Lawncare
05-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Problem Solved!

There's really no Need for the knives to swing freely on the Disc as far as I can see so I Bolted them fiXed to the Disc w/just enough play in case they hit something Solid.

Balance....I simply remove 2 knives w/the Impact & Balance Away!

John Gamba
05-31-2004, 04:28 PM
Problem Solved!

There's really no Need for the knives to swing freely on the Disc as far as I can see so I Bolted them fiXed to the Disc w/just enough play in case they hit something Solid.

I will admit! with the knives bolted to the disk it would be the ultimate(hay your other banned name) double high lifts.
John

Doc Pete
05-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Problem Solved!

Problem solved, I think not.
If you're going to balance the unit that way and not check for exact 180 degree phasing, the margin for error is so great you're better off just not bothering to balance. However, at least you took the advice from my first beginning post, where I recommend balancing each set separately, and are calling it your own. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery.
However, please help me, knowing you're just doing what I suggested, is it the thrill of thinking you're putting something over on others that keeps you on this forum, or is that at times you really are thick as a brick??? I still vote you have ADDA.

OH.... now don't forget, here's when you get to respond and pretend to be the wounded innocent helpful guy, and I'm the big bad mean and nasty guy with a complex. Come on, make me proud and do it.

Doc Pete
05-31-2004, 11:27 PM
[BThere's really no Need for the knives to swing freely on the Disc as far as I can see so I Bolted them fiXed to the Disc w/just enough play in case they hit something Solid.
[/B]

Gees, there you go again. How can you seem so smart and so dumb, at the same time? I guess you don't realize the force of the blades spinning at 3,600 rpm. Next, please explain how you tighten the bolts "with just enough" free play in case they hit something. Yeah, right!
Either they are tight enough not to move, or they swing. If they don't move, they won't straight out when they spin and they will be off balance.
Ya know, please continue to "snow" most of the people on this forum, but as long as I'm here, you'll always be just another loser wanting to impress.

Fareway Lawncare
06-01-2004, 08:23 AM
It's really not that difficult...the Bolt Hole on the Blade is bigger than the on disc so I used a slightly small washer spacer & tightened the knife to the disck w/lock-nuts & Loc-Tite....If there's Heavy Impact the knife will move...

Doc you spend so much time ranting & Raving about these blades you should get some so you actually know what your talking about...

Doc Pete
06-01-2004, 12:26 PM
It's really not that difficult...the Bolt Hole on the Blade is bigger than the on disc so I used a slightly small washer spacer & tightened the knife to the disck w/lock-nuts & Loc-Tite....If there's Heavy Impact the knife will move...

Doc you spend so much time ranting & Raving about these blades you should get some so you actually know what your talking about...

And it makes me feel so much better that you avoided admitting you did exactly what I told you to do, and then talk about something even my 11 year old nephew would have done. Hmmmm.... let's see now, how bout' I label this scenairo #22, or the " I already have the answer, but want to see how many answers I can get, while I watch as others argue about the correct answer".
You've got about 5 or 6 of these themes.
It's a relief to know I'm finally beginning to understand why you bother with this forum.

Magna-Matic
06-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Hello All,

Due to some internet service provider problems, i am unable to connect long enough to leave much of a post. It will be repaired soon (the cable company tells me), and i will post info about this topic.

In the meantime, please be polite to one another in the forums.

Thank you,

dobehap
10-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Any updates on this?

compost king
11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Anybody out there! Still waiting to hear the end of this as I have a set of these as well. I have not tried to balance them.

John Gamba
11-10-2004, 06:57 PM
Since Monday i have used meg-mos for turning leaves into dust. I have NOT TAKEN them off yet, There is no vibration in the deck AT ALL. I had a set on a mower i sold to a Friend that i'm helping and he has used the blades since this past spring and does nothing but sharpen and put them back. He said there is no vibration and the mower has 1200 hours with the same spindles.

You should do what you feel is best for you. I will put this to rest soon.
John

dcondon
11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
we haven't balanced a blade in 3 years. I see no point it !!!!!!!!!!!

JKOOPERS
11-16-2004, 01:11 AM
wow!!!!! how many spindles have you replaced and how much does the mower vibrate?

wriken
11-16-2004, 07:50 AM
wow!!!!! how many spindles have you replaced and how much does the mower vibrate?
none
no vibrating

LawnScapers of Dayton
11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
same here.....sharpen and re-install.....no problems

Derek

Magna-Matic
11-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Hello All,

We are currently gathering info to provide a very informative post about the MEG-MO blades here.

I just want to let you know that we have not abandoned this thread.

Again, please remember anything in rotational motion requires to be "in-balance" for vibration free operation, and requires maintainenance of that balance condition, IF it wears or material is removed. This is not a sales pitch/propaganda, it is a fact of physics.

Thank you,

dobehap
01-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Can I get a time frame when this might happen,

I have been waiting for this info for few months now.

Fareway Lawncare
02-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Slow but Steady...Is the Response

Vibration/Not Balancing Blades can lead to All Sorts of Problems NOT exclusive to spindles...Everything from Engine components to Belts to Pullys to Cut Quality is affected by Vibration.

There's Slight Vibration w/the Megs.

dobehap
06-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I has been over 6 months since the last post by Magna Matic on this thread.

How much longer is the info need to be gathered to be posted?????
Another year?

:( :( :( :(

Magna-Matic
06-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Hello,

I do apologize for the very long delay on this question, i've been trying to get a nice instructional website put up with all the info, pictures and eductional info from our engineers. However they have been very busy, and we have not gotten to this project.

Here is a very short answer to this problem of blades that can move independant to an inner hub or disc.

There is one of two ways this blade can be balanced:

1. Fix the blades in the "cutting position" as they would be in motion. Similar to what Fairway did in the first post of this thread. BUT - when fixing the blades in their "cutting position" you must use clamps of EQUAL WEIGHT and all 4 must be in the exact same position.

2. Remove all of the blades from the disc. Balance the disc (it should be in balance unless it has become worn or damaged - as long as the original manufacurer balanced it. Sharpen each of the 4 small blades - then weigh them - be sure each is of EQUAL WEIGHT.

I hope this provides some info to those interested, we will continue to work on a more official instruction bulletin for these blades.

Thank you,