PDA

View Full Version : Round up in my Perma Green?

bart may
05-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Have a customer who wants me to spray a vacant field with Round Up. Have any of you sprayed through your PG? The label calls for 6oz/gall. I'm not sure what rate to use. Thanks for your help.

Pilgrims' Pride
05-25-2004, 07:13 AM
A smart chicken wouldnt be doin that friend.

I know that you can neutralize the system afterward but I'd think long and hard on this one.

I would be concerned with contamination in your PG and the chance of damaging turf after you do the round up.

Do you have a spray tank you no longer use or could you somehow do the job with a back pack?

bart may
05-25-2004, 09:29 AM
The lot is about an acre in size. That seems a bit large to use a back pack on. I realize that I would have to basically "Triple Rinse" my system.

MrBarefoot
05-25-2004, 04:28 PM
I would never, ever, ever put Round up through my PG.

Even if you change the tank, you still may have a residual in the system.

Triple rinsing sounds good, but other people have done that and used a neutralizer, and still burned lawns.

Unless you are ready to make that perma-green a "Round up only" machine, I would advise against it.

It is worth it to you to take the chance for one acre of field?

James Cormier
05-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I would take the advise of the guys up above, if the lot is weedy just apply weed control, or back pack with round up.

When I go out to do bed maintenance I spray about 2a worth of beds, of course there at different houses, but you can do it with a back pack.

tennissippi
05-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bart may
Have a customer who wants me to spray a vacant field with Round Up. Have any of you sprayed through your PG? The label calls for 6oz/gall. I'm not sure what rate to use. Thanks for your help.

I have sprayed roundup out of my PG before. I rinsed the tank out twice, mixed up some Trimec, and sprayed a few lawns. Didn't hurt a thing.

lawnservice
05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
when i first started in business, i would use one tank for lawns and tree/shrub service. I'd rinse the thing 3 times after spraying weed control before filling to spray trees. Never had a problem....BUT I dont recommend it!!

I go along with the majority here, dont do it

specialtylc
05-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Just do it. I switch back and forth all the time with no problems. Have been for 8 years. Dont be a chicken.

steve in Pa.
05-25-2004, 10:42 PM
We have sprayed round up out of our tank sprayer rinsed once with a neutralizer no problem with burning.

bart may
05-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I feel like a little kid on a playground with all my friends telling me to one thing or another. I do appreciate the advise though. I guess I'll keep thinking about it. Does anyone know the rate I should spray with though.

Ric
05-26-2004, 12:06 AM
bart Simpson

A little effort and you can look up the answer for yourself and not feel like a little kid.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld07A012.pdf

Now that is only one of many Supplement Labels for Roundup. I am not going to do your research for you. Roundup has been used as a Growth Regulator for many years on all types of turf. What little residual is left it your tank will not hurt a thing. I have sprayed it without even emptying my tank and remixed with out a problem.

TLS
05-26-2004, 12:43 AM
I've done it with backpacks and pump sprayers.

How much Round-Up residue could be in there after a rinse?

All you nay-sayers are chicken!

bart may
05-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Sorry Ric I didn't mean to make you feel like you had to answer my post. You could have just ignored it. I guess I was under the impression that you could get advice and answers on questions from this site. Thanks for helping out a little kid.

MrBarefoot
05-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by TLS
All you nay-sayers are chicken!

I have seen it happen where a rinsed and neutralized tank was used and the lawn burned. That is why I say "once for round up, always for round up".

You can call me chicken if you like, but I call it being responsible and putting customer service before my desire to save the cost of a backpack sprayer.

Just my $.02

TLS
05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
What percentage of "residue" do you guys think would be necessary to then mix with 3-5 gallons of NON-Round-Up and cause a burn?

Unless the hose and pump were full of roundup (wouldn't/couldn't be after a tripple rinse), you'd be totally fine.

MrBarefoot
05-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by TLS
What percentage of "residue" do you guys think would be necessary to then mix with 3-5 gallons of NON-Round-Up and cause a burn?

Unless the hose and pump were full of roundup (wouldn't/couldn't be after a tripple rinse), you'd be totally fine.

I don't take issue with your logic. And I would even agree with you that if you rinse and clear out the lines that you should be OK.

All I am saying is that I have seen with my own eyes a lawn burn when sprayed with equipment that had been rinsed as you describe.

I will gamble with my own money, or even my property , but not my customers lawns. What you do is up to you.

cantoo
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
I am also with the group that does it and has never had a problem. I do lawns and parking lots with the same equipment and make sure to run clean water through the lines and rinse the tank but I don't get anal about it. In my experience you need a pretty good dose of roundup to even yellow the lawn let alone burn it off otherwise it would take very little roundup to kill when you wanted to. My tank holds 30 gallons so even if the line and pump was full of mixed roundup as soon as I recirculated the water it would dilute the roundup by 30 gallons of water to the guart or so of mixed roundup. This would not be strong enough to do much. Unless you were mixing at very high rates of roundup to water then you may have a problem. I'm sure we've all had a poor kill from not enough roundup in the mix before.

lawnservice
05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
another thought....we have probably all seen the damage Joe Homeowner has done with round-up. You know when they spray then walk over the sprayed area, then walk over the lawn and end up with dead foot prints?

My thought is what about the tires of the ride-on machine. It will travel over wet roundup then eventually end up on a lawn.

Quite frankly we do very little work with round-up (thats a service we typically recommend the homeowner do themselves, we really dont have the time) Anyway, any thoughts on round-up on the tires, then the tires on the lawn?

bart may
05-27-2004, 01:23 AM
Good point. I'll make sure that I wash those tires off. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks

cantoo
05-27-2004, 10:23 PM
I never use my machine to spray small areas so I never cross any turf areas. I only use it for gravelled areas. Of course the roundup on the tires would kill the grass if you drive on it.

Etlawn
06-03-2004, 02:16 AM
I say you stick to the safe side spen a little money and get a back pack just for Round up. You are risking alot of problems if something goes wrong and you burn a few lawns....Just think..90.00 for a backpack or a few hundred to go out a resod dead spots on a customers lawn...not to mention your companies reputation....
Good luck in whatever decision you make

weedmaster
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I agree everyone should have a spare backpack for roundup but a permagreen is $5000 and you should be able to use that as much as possible to get your 5k back. (I do own one myself) Just put all you mix up on there property. Since there is no 400' hose it will be easy to get all but the smallest of residual out of the pump and tank. I would rather triple rinse my permagreen than my 200 gallon tank. I have decided not to spray trees with anything that has ever had herbicides in it however. I just use a dedicated backpack and if its over 20ft high I cant do it. I sure couldnt guarantee 100% kill though using roundup and a permagreen.