PDA

View Full Version : Idea for side yard?

EagleLandscape
05-25-2004, 12:34 AM
A new customer that I picked up today is asking me for all sorts of work, so I'm pretty stoked. Anyways, theyve got this side yard that doesnt get enough sunlight to grow anything except weeds and they dont wanna dump money into flower beds because they never spend anytime on this side of the house.

But they wanted something to cover the dirt so they could atleast walk through there without getting covered in mud. I guess the most expensive route would be flagstone with ophiapogon in the cracks or a paver sidewalk or something. But what about just laying down pea gavel? Think thats a semi-nice way to go that is low maintanence?

Danimal
05-25-2004, 02:34 PM
I think it can look pretty nice with peagravel. I use it sometimes I place TN sandstone stepping stones with a sandstone border and fill with peagravel. My customers think it looks great.

EagleLandscape
05-25-2004, 06:42 PM
got any pics of jobs like that, or the sandstone idea?

o-so-n-so
05-25-2004, 09:46 PM
You might could cut used cross ties about standard walkway width. Inbed them about 3 feet apart with the top about 2" above grade. Add pea gravel or recycled asphalt (will match cross ties and will give some nice contrast) between the ties. Add some border plants at the edges and place a few specimen plants at about arms reach from walkway at random.

Thats my Idea without seeing.

fishman644
05-25-2004, 10:12 PM
try either pea gravel or 1 1/2 inch special (river rock, bigger than pea). i usually will make a walk way with stepping stones with the pea gravel face. round or square stepping stones work fine . i like the little bigger rock in the beds , it makes for easier spring and fall clean-ups and can be blown out with a blower without scattering all over.

o-so-n-so
05-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Look at this...................

NNJLandman
05-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Flagstone and some river rock..could add some azela or rhodes to the scenery.

Jeff

EagleLandscape
05-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I might throw in a few plants if I end up with some extras from a job or so, but I really just need something inexpensive to throw down here, it gets really muddy when it rains, so I', probably gonna throw down 2 inches of rock.

D Felix
05-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Another option that I've only seen on TV (thanks to TOH), is to use sythetic turf. Roger Cook installed some under a swingset one time, it actually looked decent from what I saw. Just an idea.

Have you tried any shade tolerant grass yet? I dunno about down there, but red fescue does well in the shade up here.

Dan

EagleLandscape
05-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Umm, fescue would work in this area, but I think they wanted something low maintanence, and I don't think this side of their house has any irrigation. But I'm building my first paver patio and deck for this customer.

Business is going really well, i'm just thankful for all you guys helping me grow.

DowntoEarthLLC
05-26-2004, 07:42 PM
CAST IRON PLANT