PDA

View Full Version : Plantings for privacy in South Florida

brucec32
05-25-2004, 04:08 AM
I have a home on 2.3 acres and the previous owner planted some hedges along the sides for privacy along much of the lot, but there is still about 100' down each side along a wood n wire fence that needs something there to shield off noise and the neighbors. I am not sure how long I'll live here so I'm willing to spend more if that gives me privacy now vs. waiting for small plants to grow into something.

So, is there an affordable way to landscape for privacy? Maybe a layered effect, with trees that cover the high area behind lower growing plantings to cover the area up to where their foliage starts.

Any ideas on what to look for and what kind of cost I'm looking at? The budget is flexible, but if I spend a lot I have higher expectations that if it's just popping cheap ficus plants in the ground in a hedge.

Kate Butler
07-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Affordable? Probably not. Instant gratification-size plant material is pricey. One the other hand, there are a number of vines that will grow quickly on your existing fence and give you some cover while you are waiting for the larger plant material to become larger.

Plant avocado trees for long-term hugeness and beauty, mangos for great shaped 'heads', and citrus (if you're not in a canker-prone area) just because there's nothing like picking your own.

Areca palms grow quickly into large clumps (although some folks are put off by their natural yellowish leaf color - think it looks sickly). Cocoplum is the greatest - native, beautiful flowers, some fruit, and wonderful glossy green leaves. An established cocoplum cane be 10' high and 10' across.

Poincianas and bauhinias (orchid trees in purple or white) have wonderful, umbrella-like canopies in maturity and great 'legs' (trunks) if properly trained as young trees. If you decide to go for palms - get a Betrock's and do the homework. Their info and pix are great!!

Plan to attend the TPIE show in Ft. Lauderdale in January. I come down from northeastern Vermont every year to attend and stay up to date with the tropicals trade. I always buy booths and install 'em for my South Florida clients while I'm in the area.

Good luck, Kate