PDA

View Full Version : Insurance revisited

Foster
12-12-2000, 02:05 PM
Howdy, I have been spraying pastures and fields for two years now off of my atv unit. I have been spraying trees and shrubs for the past five years. This year(or should I say next spring)I recieved the bid to do a landscape job at a new motel going up in my area. I need 1,000,000 general body and property liability insurance. Do you think I can find insurance. So far , I have been turned down by CNA, Hartford, American Family and numerous companies that are handled by independant insurance agents. The only company the would consider me (and I don't know their name)wanted $5,000 minimum. As soon as I say that I do pesticide applications, their eyes start to roll. Or, they turn me down because it isn't my full time job, or because my gross is too small. I'm running out if ideas. Do I lie and say that I just do landscaping and nothing else? I have seen in past threads that 'you guys' are getting insurance for $400 and up and I'm just shaking my head here. What am I missing? Foster

Ocutter
12-23-2000, 04:24 AM
Foster- I know what you are going thru. My ins co (The Travelers) is going to raise me 1500.00 just to apply pesticides. I put n a call to Ohio Casualty and they were going to get back to me. They didnt seem scared to take me on. I also thought of lying, but that will only kill you if you get rolled up on by the pest. patrol or injury occurs to Little Johnny because he entered the site when he should not have.

Foster
12-26-2000, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply ocutter. I found a comany - Heritage - that has a biz-pac plan. They didn't seem concerned in the least bit that I spray. $450 got me 1 mil insurance, plus some other stuff... Can't tell you what I went thru to find insurance!

Turfdoctor
01-03-2001, 12:22 AM
Try Scottsdale.18004237675. I just got my policy in the mail from them today. I pay 935.00 yr for 1 million. They specialize in Pest Control Ins. The policy is the most thorough I have found in six years. Good Luck ! Turf Doctor

sunnyside
01-03-2001, 12:33 AM
I called all over and the guy that I have my car insurance with had the best price. I didn't think he had this kind of insurance until he called me and asked why I didn't use him for liability insurance as well. We pay around 150.00 per year and it covers tree timming,chemical applications,and so on.The coverage is for 500,000.00 but I think that another 500,000.00 isn't much more. Good luck! Ryan

GroundKprs
01-04-2001, 12:13 PM
Check with your state or regional lawn care association, or possibly with PLCAA at http://www.plcaa.org. Your state pesticide licensing authority can probably refer you to area associations. State associations often have arrangements with specific insurance companies for lower group rates.

Most insurance rates will vary by state, as insurance companies set rates by experience within a specific state. So asking for rate comparisons on a national scale is usually meaningless for you to determine an appropriate rate for your situation. Go with your state professional lawn care association for meaningful info.

Foster
01-04-2001, 04:38 PM
#1 - Sunnyside, you didn't say who your insurance company was. #2 - South Dakota doesn't have a lawn care organization. If memory serves me right, CNA is plcaa's insurance and they flat turned me down saying "they didn't think they were interested in covering me at this time".

UrbanEarth
01-05-2001, 12:14 AM
One thing to watch with liability insurance and pesticide applications is exclusions. Check and make sure that there is not a pollution exclusion with this policy (and READ the fine print!!!). I had a quote from one company that was about 1/3 of what my current company was. Great, I thought. When I checked the fine print, the pollution exclusion caught my eye. It excluded all off site applications and drift. Therefore, I would have had no coverage unless contamination was from direct contact with the lawn. I stayed with the company that I was with.

Alan

Ocutter
01-05-2001, 08:52 AM
UrbanEarth- The fine print you described, does off site applications mean off target due to drift or off your own lawn?

UrbanEarth
01-05-2001, 12:01 PM
It was worded to pretty much exclude anything that did not adhere to a blade of grass seconds after it was applied! Drift, spraying too far over by accident (so if you got something on the neighbors plants that would be excluded because that was not the target of the application. The only thing that it seemed to cover was if someone came along and walked onto the lawn while you were spraying (and they probably would have had to lick the grass clean as well because if it was vapour over the grass, that would have been drift!!!).

Alan

greenngrow
01-19-2001, 07:12 PM
I am running into the samething here in KY. I haven't had insurance, but I ws going to get it this year 2001. Then I get a letter from the state pesticide division. In a nut shell they are asking for more money and a copy of insurance policy with a 1,000,000.00 liabilty and coverage for pesticide application. All the companies I spoke with want to write it up a pollution coverage. But the state says that they don't want that. I am in a pickle. Need more info on insurance out there.

UrbanEarth
01-20-2001, 12:09 AM
I am with Western Union. I am in Canada, but I think it is an American company. If you want more info, I will talk to my broker. Let me know.

Alan