PDA

View Full Version : Interesting link about CGM

CT John
05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
I was hoping some of the brain-trust here can shed some light on this research from ISU. Basically, this link about CGM shows that unless you apply it at 40#/1000 sq ft you will not see any improvement in terms of the CGM's ability to control weed seed germination. It also states that CGM is 10% N and it breaks it down that at 40#/1000 this is equivalent to 4#/1000 of N. Now, what confuses me is that this flies in the face of conventional wisdom that tells us that most turfgrass species only require about 2-4# of N per 1000 annually. It also shows that on some test plots they applied it at an equivalent of 12# of N annually. :eek: Do nitrogen requirements just not apply to organics? Your thoughts?

http://turfgrass.hort.iastate.edu/pubs/turfrpt/2000/cgmongoing.html

Tim G
05-26-2004, 08:26 AM
The first time I applied cgm I did it at a rate of 20#lbs per k. It stunk up the yards I did for about a week. I looked for a dead animal in mine. At that rate the soil couldnt breath is what I believe. You need a good microbe population for it to work best. I use it more as a fertilizer that a germination supressant, if weeds dont grow its just a bonus.

Garden Panzer
05-26-2004, 10:53 PM
I've used corn gluten for years and my understanding is that fungi that break down the CGM are responseable for the "pre-m" "effect". I don't think too highly of it- I would love to say it works so good it's off the hook!