PDA

View Full Version : investing in skid steer

rmartin
05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
I am looking to invest in a skid steer. What is the going hourly rate for use?

turftammer
05-25-2004, 09:34 PM
I use mine mainly for snow removal & charge by the job but I douse it when things get slow mowwing just to still earn some cash & get $60hr but I'm not an excavator in my area I beleive they get about $75hr for skidsteer/backhoes if you not decided on what machine, my case skidsteer is great but I kinda wish I had bought a bobcat because of all the attachments you can get

GrassFearsMe
05-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Day and Half-day rates. 575 day and like 385 half-day.

JKOOPERS
05-25-2004, 09:43 PM
here in missouri most people charge an 8 hr min. at $55 per hr .

timinkc
05-25-2004, 09:49 PM
well in this part of Missouri, i see 40/hr advertised pretty frequently, with no minimum...thats why i don't have one

Mikes Lawn Landscape
05-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Going rate around here is $50-$55 with a 4 hour min. The problem I see is ineffeciency. With a skid steer its gotta be running 20 hours a week to make decent money. If its sitting in the shop while your mowing collecting dust it is a cost and not a revenue generator. If you got a man running it while your mowing then it can make you money.

I'm struggling with purchasing a Kubota Sub Compact and just cant justify $15,000 right now when that $15,000 would buy 2 new Z's (Which according to everyone on here would generate $60.00 an hour each)

Depending on what your gonna use it for. If you do a lot of landscaping it might be able to pay for itself.

Lombardi
05-26-2004, 10:41 AM
In my area the average rate is $65/hr. with a 3 hr. minimum.
I have been demoing a Cat 247 with rubber tracks for several days. It is an awesome machine. I had it in a marsh area piling brush and it never got stuck in 2-3' of muck.
Right now I just cannot justify spending $32,500 for a new one. You have to use them almost every day to pay for themselves. But, on the other hand, people who have them said that you will find ways to keep them busy once you get one.

griffithtlc
05-26-2004, 09:33 PM
We just purchased an 2001 Bobcat 763 with 900 hours on it. Most of the jobs we do are just dirt leveling and hauling/spreading rock. The payments on it a month are only a touch over 300 a month. (Put a 4000 dollar down payment right away) We don't have to use it very much to make the payment for it. 1 job a month and it makes the payment on it. Come winter, it will help us with snow plowing so it's covered there as well. Plus we get to use it up north on our land and help some friends out as well who have helped us out on the way.

The way I think of it is if you can keep it busy enouph just to make the payment what are you out?? If you run into trouble a year or two down the road you can always sell it but you should not have to. When we got this one early this spring and got our first couple of jobs, the word is getting out and we are getting more calls. Granted we only do light landscaping but this pays very good also. Many bigger places do not want to mess around with some of these jobs so we take advantage of that.

So far since we have bought ours we have not regretted it. Made us some money.

AL Inc
05-26-2004, 10:09 PM
I agree with griffithtlc. In the past few years, I was renting the skid steers an average of 3-4 times a month. At about 300 per rental, that is $900-$1200 a month. I bought a new Cat 246 and the monthly payment is significantly less. And it's been going out twice a week lately, so I'm happy.

Mickhippy
05-28-2004, 10:50 AM
My Landscaper Uncle has a skid steer, he lives on a couple of rough acres. He some how attaches a Slasher/bush hog to it to mow his "cough" lawn!

Our council sub contacts skid steers as well.

JeffD
06-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Once you have a skid steer, it wil pay for itself. Every home should have one.

Lombardi
06-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Jeff,
A few questions if you don't mind. What kind and size do you have? What type of business are you in and did you advertise that you offer a skidsteer business? How often do you have to run the machine to make it pay for itself and your salary? Thanks.

Ice_Gargoylle
06-08-2004, 01:43 AM
i dont know how big your business is, but taking a bobcat on a job is only a small part of the equation. you also have to think about how much money it is saving you doing other things. if you bought one, you could have materials delivered to your "office" and loaded int he morning quickly instead of going to a supplier with crew and all. that alone is wirth buying one. also think of the time and back ache youll save with large instsalls, using forks and bucket to move things around.

you dont HAVE to use a S.S. on jobs for it to make money for you, think of saving money in time/manpower also.

Clark Landscaping
06-08-2004, 07:41 PM
anybody use a skidsteer to load mulch? If so what is the largest bucket that can be put on a skidsteer that I could buy used for about 10-15k? Sorry about vague question.

meets1
06-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I bought a used skid. We use it primarially for hauling rock, dirt, leveling, and some snow. It is a CASE. No way could I afford a new one. If we do need attachments, I go to the rental center. But in my area in IA, were getting around $45 - 50 / hour.

bottlefed89
06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I am also thinking of buying one, I appreciate all the info. I'm getting heavy into building walls, and I might not actually have a ton of jobs that require the ss, but each time I fork a half skid of blocks to the wall I'm on, I know I'll appreciate it. I'm kinda of in the same frame of mind as jeff, I always borrow one now, have a lot at home and warehouse that I could use one for, even if it doesn't make me a ton of money, it will be helpful, and I'll never be able to buy another back.....

ksss
06-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Once you have one you'll wonder how you got by without one. If your handling a lot of block or pallets just be sure to buy a large enough machine to handle what you want to do.

landscapingpoolguy
06-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Check out these machines.......

http://www.asvi.com

Chuck