PDA

View Full Version : excavaction?????

creek chub
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey guys!!

Awesome site. I just wanted to throw out a general question. I just started lawn care this and it does ok for me. Initially, I did this to make extra money to pay my house off early. But now, the entreprenuerial bug has bit me right dead in the butt. My problem is this. I work full time for a corp. and do mowing and some landscaping part time.

I know right now, I don't wan't to do mowing full time or keep setting behind my desk all day til I'm old and gray either.

Do you guys think a motivated guy who loves to work would do well to invest in a skid steer with some attachments to pick up grading, snow plowing, and ect?

I know the general business thing demand, competition and prices play a part in it. I just would like some general info and ideas.

Thanks-Creek Chub

PS. My wife thinks I'm crazy to give up a "good job" to get dirty. But hey I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oregon Rob
05-26-2004, 07:02 PM
You sound just like me. I am 38, have a good, corporate job that I am just sick of and need to get outside and want to drive equipment, but have to provide a good living for the family in the mean time. Thatís why I am starting an apprenticeship with the operating engineers, (check out ďNew GuyĒ post if you havenít already). Good luck and Iím glad to know Iím not alone.:blob2:

coopers
05-26-2004, 11:53 PM
I think you should go forward with your desire. I work for a rental company like United Rentals and I am starting to spread word about me being able to do excavation work. In a couple years I'll be a deputy with the local sheriff's department but will have my own side excavation business. I couldn't NOT do it, I love doing machine work and so I figured I'd have a small business on the side. Get all your ducks in a row and ask any question if you have any. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Blake
WA

ksss
05-27-2004, 01:41 AM
I would try and develop your side line business while working your current job. It will be easier to pickup equipment and get a feel for the market in your area. Running/starting a business is tough enough, but it makes it even tougher to pickup the equipment you want, maintain cash flow and worry about making a house payment when it's your sole source of income. Thats the method I used and I am still here after 10 years.

creek chub
05-27-2004, 06:10 PM
I agree I should stick with lawn care now.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy pushing the envelope.

Creek Chub

xcopterdoc
05-29-2004, 06:34 PM
The only problem with doing something you love to do for a living, is sooner or later it becomes work! With a Corp job and a sideline job, if you dont wanna cut grass or run equipment on a given day, you can blow it off and go on... catch up later. No gain, but no loss.. still gonna have a check to cover the house payment etc. Still have your benifits. If things part time go very well.. the business is taking off.. then hire a good foreman to run it for you. Still keep your corp job... let the good foreman run your "part time" gig and go from there. That way you reap the max from each.. Your "part time" is now bringing in full time pay and your full time job is your security blanket.

Tigerotor77W
05-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Make sure you don't burn out too early -- no good wanting to go into something, only to realize you don't truly enjoy it after ten years. It sounds cool to me -- but be careful.

alldredge_2008
06-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Hey Ksss I was wondering if you have heat and a/c in your case skidsteers, and was also wondering if I coulcd see some pics of all of your equipment. I

alldredge_2008
06-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey Ksss I was wondering if you have heat and a/c in your case skidsteers, and was also wondering if I coulcd see some pics of all of your equipment. I really like the case 90 and 95 xt. models.

alldredge_2008
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry Ksss,
I hit the enter but to soon.
I was wondering also if someone could explain the Case skid steer control pattern.

ksss
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Alldredge_2008

You can go to my website at kaiserskidsteer.com

It is not totally up to date. We have updated our machines since that site was launched. But take a look at it, I would like to get some feed back on it. I have better project pictures I need to get on it yet and I want to update the equipment.

The CASE control pattern also called the H pattern is both left and right joy sticks control the wheels on their respective sides. The bucket raise and lower is on the left stick and the bucket function is on the right. Auxillary hydrualics are activated on the floor with your foot. The high flow activation (if equipped ) is on the left joy stick (button).

My 95XT has AC and heat. The 70XT is open ROPS.

This is my second 95XT and I still continue to be amazed by its capacity. They are heavy to haul around and are expensive to buy, but damn they move material.

alldredge_2008
06-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks,
I have been looking at the brochure and really like the 90 and 95xt models and amused with there lift capacity.

alldredge_2008
06-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Do you have tracks for your 95 xt ? if so what kind. I see you might of had a 85 xt. at one point? What size is that contractors dump on the International ?
Thanks for the Help!

ksss
06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
I have Loegren (sp) Trail Blazer steel tracks for it. The 95 with the steel tracks is incredible. We did work last summer at a lake front property. The beach front was steep and made of black sand. I was able to climb straight up the bank with a full 83" bucket of rock. I never would have thought it was possible.

I had a 85XT for about a year. Being nonturboed it really struggled with our elevations up here. It lacked power, used too much fuel. I traded the '00 85XT for an 01 95XT and that for the 03 I currently have. Talking to others in lower elevations they are real happy with the 85XT. I hated that machine. That was the reason I ended up with a 70XT. I probably could have gotten by with a 60 or even a 40XT. However, that turboed motor sold me, same HP as my 95XT. I would not even consider a 40 or 60 now.

The International has a 16' Omaha Standard contractors body on it. Fold down sides, real handy truck. I am putting up for sale this month however. I bought a tandem axle International with a 16' gravel box. We were making too many trips with the smaller truck and really had out grown it. I hope this next one will be as solid as the single axle truck has been.

alldredge_2008
06-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Ksss,
Thanks for replying! Today I talked to a localexcavator such as your-self, and he had the 70 xt and it had heat and a/c, loegering tracks, he said it also had like a slime sort of type of tire, and a trencher, pallet forks and a millenium trailer. He was braging so much on his machine, and how good it was. I think that the control pattern is a shortened version of the bobcat hand controls. They look like great machines and I was wondering why Case hasnt came out with rubber tracked machines? He had told me that they had talked about (Case Construction).
Thanks for the help!

alldredge_2008
06-12-2004, 12:23 AM
The farm has the cat skid steer and the tractor and would like to keep it that way, but I also like the look and the performance of the Case skid steers. We do alot of dirt and seeding on our homes. So to have to keep bringing the cat home every-night just to use it for little things that the tractor cant do. I would love to find something that we could just keep hooked up to the 1 ton dump truck. I dont think that we would go back to Cat. The hand controls are nice but, the cab sucks! Foam filled tires I guess can be hard on the axles.
THANKS!

Scag48
06-12-2004, 01:21 AM
What? The Cat cab sucks? I like ours! Doesn't bother me at all. We have the suspension seat and that makes a HUGE difference if you don't have one already. We have the OROPS and the enclosed with A/C would be nice but more $$$ beckons.

alldredge_2008
06-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Scag48,
Ours is an 02 and it only has heat and cab. I like the design of the of 04 with alot more glass, it kinda looks like bobcats cab door and the yellow at the of the cab but hey just my opinion.

GreenMonster
06-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Scag48
We have the suspension seat and that makes a HUGE difference

Suspension seat, huh? That sounds nice. Couple hard hours in my 753 is enough to jar the balls off a brass monkey:eek:

Tigerotor77W
06-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Bobcat HAS suspension seats!

Tigerotor77W
06-19-2004, 02:03 PM
allredge --

don't limit your options. Try the Bobcat out -- the S300 and no less if you're looking at the 95XT. Not fair to let anyone from any dealer demo a larger machine to someone else's smaller. Keep in mind a few things about Bobcat.
First, their lift arm design is heavy. If you're doing anything with demolition or blasting, take a good look at the S220 (70XT-ish) through the S/A/T300 (skid, AWS, track) (95XT). They will stand up well.
Second, the construction of the Bobcat SSL. Their keel structure allows them to wade into mud more safely than a machine with the same ground clearance that is flat bottomed. (Everyone else in the market.)
Cab is infinitely superior on the Bobcats. Better lighting, AC is great, heating is awesome if you need it, better front door, possible better visibility.
Attachments. Case's system won't allow you to run attachments at quite the same travel speed as on a Bobcat... try a hi flow S300 vs a 95XT planer or trencher.
Operator controls. Bobcat has foot and sveral hand options available. Case included. Cat style as well.
Just a brief heads up. If you would like more detailed information, let me know. Or, if you're just a die-hard Case fan, that's fine... I'll just stop now. :-)

Xing

alldredge_2008
06-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Bobcat S250 I have learned not to look at just one brand of equipment. I really like Bobcat Equipment, In fact they are my closest dealer, and Case being the second. I really like Bobcats track loaders better than any other brand and my uncle also owns a special edition (September 11, 2001 Edition) 773 wich is and awesome machine. I was wondering if Case and Bobcat have the same hand control? I'm not to crazy oon Cat track loaders (my opinion), but dont get me wrong Cat, Case, Bobcat and so one make good machine.

Bobcat S250 thank you for helping me realize that I was a little more brand loyalty. :D :D :blob3: :blob3:

Tigerotor77W
06-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey, um, no problem -- I have gotten to know a few contractors in my area who swear on one brand. (And have read about more who have switched from a 1977 Cat to a 2003 Deere and said, "Wow, the Deere is smoother and is more powerful." No (*$&. It'd better outproduce a '77 Cat!) Anyhow...
Bobcat machines are available with Case-STYLE controls, but not the physical Case levers. (AKA they'll look different but will function in the same manner.) Bobcat's are called "Advanced Hand Controls."
And don't get me wrong... there is nothing wrong with Case machines. I just kinda grew up loving Bobcat a little bit more (same random reason I like Boeing over Airbus and Cat over Deere), so that's why I suggested them. On the other hand -- I acknowledge that Case makes a great product and that's why you were interested. Try 'em all out -- and pick the one YOU want. I'm just here to name options. *sigh*

ksss
06-23-2004, 01:44 AM
BobcatS250:
Just have to correct one inaccuracy. CASE high flow machines have higher GPM and higher hydraulic HP than any Bobcat. Check the specs. Also note, that only CASE machines (90 and 95) have a 5000psi option on the high flow. No other company offers such a high performance hydrualic system. I have nothing against Bobcat, just thought I would set the record straight.

Scag48
06-23-2004, 01:52 AM
High flow is all fine and good, but who uses it? If you don't specifically use a planer in your line of work, what would you need the high flow option for? It's like a $3000 upgrade. Just curious.

ksss
06-23-2004, 02:07 AM
You may not need it, but they sell quite few machines with it. You get some of your investment back when you sell and it is nice to have when you do need it. Landscaping applications would be a tiller, trencher, post hole auger. Thats about all I can think of at the moment for landscaping. The difference between standard and high flow is amazing.

Tigerotor77W
06-23-2004, 09:44 AM
ksss -- someone did a test once of a Bobcat high-flow system vs. a Case high flow system. The Case system is, as you said, much more powerful, but in practice, its productivity dwindles. The person who did a test ran an S300 HF vs. a 95XT HF (same size machines) with an asphalt planer, running the two at the same width and depth. He found that he could get more done with the Bobcat. Reason being -- the Bobcat hyd. system only produces about 50 to 60 HP, where the Case system reaches nearly 70. That agrees with what you said about Case being more powerful. But the problem is, the Case machine only has 74 HP to work with -- if 70 of those horses are being sucked up by the aux. pump, then only 4 can be left to drive the drive motors. 4 HP on a 9800 lb. machine won't move it very quickly. With the Bobcat, nearly 25 hp. are still left over for the drive motors -- and on a machine that only weighs 8140 lbs, that's quite a bit faster.

Granted, if you're doing something like trenching in near-rock-like conditions, Case will likely overpower the Bobcat. But running high-flow attachments at high speed isn't possible.

Tigerotor77W
06-23-2004, 09:45 AM
I don't mean to stir up a can of worms -- whoever did the comparison could have favored the Bobcat somehow. *shrugs* Just mentioning that once again, numbers don't mean everything. Some people (including myself when it comes to breakout force and axle torque) still believe that numbers dictate performance... I have GOT to shrug that habit.

Scag48
06-24-2004, 12:35 AM
I've never seen a high flow trencher, tiller, or auger, who makes these in high flow? Kinda curious because I didn't know they offered high flow on these attachments. We have a Cat T-9B trencher that is awesome, far better than a comparable Bradco we rented.

Tigerotor77W
06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
That's a good question, Scag48! lol

I have no idea. I think I was trying to give an example and failed miserably.

BTW -- m'bad, the 95XT weighs 9000 lbs, not 9800.

alldredge_2008
06-25-2004, 08:41 PM
If im gonna go for a good machine I might as well go all the way with comparing and getting all of the specs. I was wondering if any body knew anything about seed and straw, (straw blowers) and if there were any specific way of laying down sod. Thanks! All machine have there high point in this buisness (skid steers). Case has more lift capacitie, Bobcat has more machines and designs, Cat has power with Caterpillar diesel engines, and polit controls. :blob3: :blob4: :blob3: :blob4:

Thanks!

Tigerotor77W
06-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Actually... Gehl has the most lift capacity now. (Who knows... maybe Case will offer another behemoth!)

coopers
06-26-2004, 08:08 PM
The rental company I work for is now switching over from Bobcat to Ghel. They are nice machines but their controls are super touchy!

Blake
WA

Tigerotor77W
06-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Any particular reason for that change?

coopers
07-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I don't know why we have switched over to those machines. The excuse I've heard is they're cheaper...not sure:confused:

Blake
WA

ksss
07-04-2004, 03:24 PM
BobcatS250

Interesting about the Highflow comparisons on the two machines. My response would be that if the attachment requires more than 50-60 hp to run (rock wheels come to mind) your ground speed will be determined by the speed at which your attachment can process material not the hp the host machine has in reserve. In other words if the planer or whatever doesn't have the power to run in the first place ground speed ability is not an issue. When running the high flow, I have not noticed a reduction in ground speed. I do notice an increase in fuel consumtion. However, I have never run a 40" planer either. I must say that for someone that doesn't own a machine (even if you did) your quite informed about different machines. I may have met my equal.

Tigerotor77W
07-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Oh, dear me, Kaiser! I am surely not your equal by any means. Even if you think I know "stuff" about equipment, that doesn't mean I know anything that is actually useful. What I wrote about the machines was a comment to what I had heard -- not what I would definitly know to be true because of this or that. And let's not forget the biggest thing -- I don't operate or own (or use) any equipment. That means... when it comes to what to do about some problem, I become clueless. Which... to say the least... makes me useless. :-)

*Edit -- I forgot to compare my knowledge with the concept of being street concept. Someone (say, a Harvard study-aholic) could be extremely smart but could potentially know nothing of the street -- eg that murders and accidents occur. I may know that manufacturers use various ways to jack up their reported breakout forces, but I won't know what this means to the customer. In short -- what I know is limited (frequently to zero) to what I have experience with. (And because I really don't have experience with anything, what I know isn't always useful.)

To try to put things lightly, I'm glad someone found my knowledge interesting.

And most importantly -- I'm glad I found a Case customer who is every bit as devoted to and knowledgable about his line as I am devoted to Bobcat's. I'll keep in touch.

allaccesslandscaping
07-05-2004, 02:03 AM
screw it go for the gusto... If you pray to your higher up it will all work out. The most ill go with both is one year.. IF you never put your full body and soul into your dreams 20 years later you will be kicking yourself

Tigerotor77W
07-05-2004, 12:49 PM
If that was for me, *beams* I'm a student, so I have a ways to go.