PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Arse Handed to me!

paponte
05-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Wow, I have never gotten beaten up so much on a job than the one I am on now. If Murphy's law has ever come into play, it is definitely hard at work on this job! Between the weather, dumpsters, late deliveries and about everything else that could go wrong this is by FAR the worst job I have ever taken on.

What started off as a two week paver, and retaining wall job I can see being here for over 3 weeks at the rate were going. Guess I'm taking this one on the chin, and holding on for the roller coaster ride. Guess those are the ropes being in business. :cry:

AL Inc
05-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Been there, done that, unfortunately. I think it happens to everybody. Hope things get better for you. Mike

Rather Be Fishing
05-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I know just how you feel. Betwwen rain and mowing accounts the landscape end has been a bear!

Went and did a thorough overview of a place last night. Lots of shrub and hedge trimming, mucho tree pruning, along with edging and weeding the beds. It's a considerable property and the owner informed me she had her "lawn mowing guy" (SCRUB) bringing mulch. O.K., he can have the easy part of the job that makes the other stuff look good....

I get time to go bust out some edging and here's the HACK pulling out. Front beds are mulched! Yes, right over the weeds, no edges, mulch 6" deep around the bases of two young pear trees. ARGH!:eek: Where did this guy get his "landscape experience"? Mind you, this is a $750,000 home to boot!

Oh well, guess I'll just work in reverse. It's gonna cost 'em BIGTIME!

*note, she called while I was posting this and I asked why she let him go ahead and it's because he has a "day job" and couldn't leave the mulch in his company van ...Argh! Again. I couldn't resist asking if he cut the lawn for $20 (It's a $45 cut at the very least). Nope, $15.

Yep, this woman is going to freak out on my bill. I'm gonna rake the mulch out of the beds to properly weed them and put it back. Like the old trash bag commercial goes "Why be sad, when you can be Glad?". Mo' money......

kris
05-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Sometimes things just go bad ...you just hope you come out ahead by the end of the year.

Rather Be Fishing
05-27-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by kris
Sometimes things just go bad ...you just hope you come out ahead by the end of the year.

I couldn't agree more. Nice to be able to whine amongst folks who can relate though.:D I'll make more on the job I'm complaining about than my "mulch inclusive" bid without picking up/hauling/delivering and laying the mulch. I do have to say I'm disappointed with the customer's decision to try to cut corners with their other choice of "professional" but I've still got the larger portion of the work and the money will be good. I've dealt with worse.

Nature of the nature business I suppose.:drinkup:

paponte
05-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by kris

Yeah I hate to say it, but at least I know I'm not the only one it's happened to. Guess I have to sit down after all is said and done and see exactly what went wrong. I just don't think weather is on my side for this one.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not usually one to whine, but I think I have just about chewed all my finger nails off on this one. just have to keep my head up, and keep popping the Tums.

Funny thing is, last night after I posted this thread the customer took me and my family out to dinner. I guess he understands that things are out of my hands. at least he's more understanding than I thought. Well it's off to see what surprises I'll walk into today. :rolleyes: