PDA

View Full Version : Planting Dogwood after rain...

lawnyogi
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
I have a client that wants a couple of 1.5" dogwoods planted... now! I live in Indianapolis where it has been pouring rain for a couple of days and last night in particular.

Is there anything I should know when the ground is this wet and planting this size/type tree?

Thanks.

jwholden
05-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Be glad the tree is going to live at least for a while because it has plenty of water!!!

The only concern would be if you dig the hole and there is a ton of clay or standing water in the hole. Otherwise have a go at it, you won't do any damage to the tree. There are no guarantees about not putting ruts in the lawn from the ball cart or muddy foot prints on the front walk.

AGLA
05-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Be careful not too blow off watering them in. You want to get rid of voids around the root ball no matter how wet the soil is. Lots of people feel like they don't need to water when the soil is already wet.

lawnyogi
05-27-2004, 10:00 PM
I did water them in well. Lots of clay and rocks. I put the tree anchors on one tree and got rained out before the next... hopefully it won't blow away before tomorrow!

Thanks for input.