PDA

View Full Version : Grub Killer?

gscone
05-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi All....Is this a good time to apply any form of grub killer on Long Island, NY? I was planning on using something that contains Merit. Is there anything better on the market? Thx!

GC

Flask
05-27-2004, 05:03 PM
wait until late july early august for merit. you could yse dylox now

gscone
05-27-2004, 08:32 PM
No, Dylox should be applied when the grubs are already active, live and killing the lawn and should not be used only when grubs are active. My question is when can I apply the Merit in my area?

GC

lawnservice
05-27-2004, 08:47 PM
We're in zone 6, July is the recommended month for merit here. NYC must be zone 6 as well?or maybe zone 7??
I'd say around mid June and you'd be in good shape

James Cormier
05-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Merit can be applied now and up to mid July, I wouldnt go longer into summer than that, remember you need 30 good active grow days from the turf after you apply the product. If july is hot and dry and the lawn is dormant the app will not be too effictive.

Flask, I see your close to me, Im in West Boylston, Im not too sure who told you to apply dylox now, but their wrong and giving bad advise.

Flask
05-29-2004, 10:27 AM
you could use dylox now for the resurfacing grubs but it may be a bit late. it is fast acting and but has less of a residual effect.

KLR
05-29-2004, 11:11 AM
http://www.umassturf.org/mangement_updates/management_updates.html

dont use dylox now, waste of time, energy and money

control grubs with a preventative (merit) in june/july
If you must use a curative (dylox) do that in the fall

the window for dylox in the spring is very small and the percentage of kill you will get is not worth your effort

James Cormier
05-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Correct KLR, also grubs do so little feeding in spring that it dosnt warrant a treatment.

Etlawn
06-03-2004, 02:06 AM
As stated above go with a Merit application..
Save the Dylox for when you start to see some damage
Good Luck!