PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Lesco spreaders?

jajwrigh
05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
I am looking at the 80lb rotary spreader from lesco. The salesmen working there was trying to push me towards the stainless version. I am going to be using the spreader for organic fertilizers only and my question is, is there a difference in terms of durability between the black epoxy and the stainless?

Hamons
05-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Go witht he stainless -- ther is not enough of a difference in price. Even if it lasted you 6 months longer it would be worth it.

MrBarefoot
05-28-2004, 06:42 AM
I went with the stainless also.

Keep in mind that over time your business may change and you might find yourself needing a spreader for something other then organics.

Comanski
05-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Go with an Andersons spreader (formally Scotts). Much more durable. I use alot of Lesco products but their spreaders are junk IMHO.

James Cormier
05-28-2004, 11:31 AM
I have a few lesco spreaders, I have one highwheel stainless I bought in the spring of 1989, That speader is still in my truck today, ive just replaced the gears serveral times and a few sets of tires.

I also let my father-in-law use it in the winter, he does commerical plowing and has been using it to spread rock salt, and other de-icers all winter long.

That thing has done Millions of sqft over the last 15 years, has been at the bottom of a small pond, opps, and fallen off the back of the truck a few times.

By far I have gotten the most for my money out of that spreader, she dosent get used quite as much now that the PG's are around

KLR
05-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Comanski
Go with an Andersons spreader (formally Scotts). Much more durable. I use alot of Lesco products but their spreaders are junk IMHO.

I agree, Andersons are superior to lescos

lordohturf
05-30-2004, 05:27 PM
I don't thing the Anderson spreader has a stainless frame.

If you use it alot, plan on replacing the frame after about 2 or 3 years.

The Lesco stainless will last for as long as you let it. Parts are easily available.

TSM
05-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by lordohturf

The Lesco stainless will last for as long as you let it. Parts are easily available.

LOL, I've been waiting for WEEKS to get the little lock-washer that holds the agitator down. A tiny part that they charge $1.65.

Finally went to Home Depot and just got some 'star' washers that work just as well for about $0.15

Etlawn
06-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Dont have any exp. with Anderson spreader but I like the Lesco spreaders.... As long as you dont beat the thing to death it will last a long time for you....

jajwrigh
06-03-2004, 02:06 AM
What did you guys end up paying for the stainless model?

heybruck34
06-03-2004, 07:48 AM
I paid $319 plus tax (7.5%) I think. I also got a "shower cap" type cover and the deflector that you bolt on so you can control which side the product flies to. It's pretty helpful for going along beds and driveways where you don't want your product flying in every direction.

The stainless version is worth the extra money. Here in NC the difference was 20 bucks. $20!!!!! That's nothing considering the powdercoat would crack and then the fertilizers would rust the frame out.

I'm pretty happy with my Lesco spreader. Man that's things a beast tho- I'm winded after doing a sizable lawn.

EJK2352
06-04-2004, 01:13 AM
My first spreader was a Lesco high wheel w/ an epoxy paint steel frame. It rotted out after about 4 seasons use. I replaced it w/ a stainless steel frame model. I have had the stainless unit for 10 years and it still looks and works as good as new. It just doesn't see much duty since I bought the Perma Green. I still take it along for those very few areas that I can't do w/ the PG. Buy the stainless it will last a long time.

goforgreen2
06-04-2004, 12:11 PM
You should probably get it for around $329.00