PDA

View Full Version : NPK content of Alfalfa & Corn

dishboy
05-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I saw a link to primaseeds in a thread about getting P & K into a organic program. They listed these numbers

%'s

N P K
Alfafa 2.45 .05 .210
Corn grain 1.65 .65 .04

If these numbers are correct it means you would need a boat load of these grains to get a lb of N per 1000, or am I missing something? My calculations say 41 lbs of Alfalfa and 60 lbs of Corn.

Do the number above seem correct ?

On another issue I was looking at a way to get P & K down and Best starter fert 6-20-20 looks viable except it lists Chloride , although last on the list. Is Chloride a bad thing?

Thanks for your imput .

Tom

Ric
05-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
I saw a link to primaseeds in a thread about getting P & K into a organic program. They listed these numbers

%'s

N P K
Alfafa 2.45 .05 .210
Corn grain 1.65 .65 .04

If these numbers are correct it means you would need a boat load of these grains to get a lb of N per 1000, or am I missing something? My calculations say 41 lbs of Alfalfa and 60 lbs of Corn.

Do the number above seem correct ?

On another issue I was looking at a way to get P & K down and Best starter fert 6-20-20 looks viable except it lists Chloride , although last on the list. Is Chloride a bad thing?

Thanks for your imput .

Tom

Tom

I have often said organic people need a 5 to pick up and a fork lift to spread enough product. Yes If the N P K is correct you need 60 pounds of cracked corn per thousand to get one pound of N. Now 60 pounds will only net you .39 pounds of Phosphate and .024 pounds of Potassium.

Chlorine Cl. has only recently been found to be essential for plant life. Its primary function and how it works is not known. So we do not know what the signs of a deficiency are. Chlorine is a byproduct of the chemical manufacturing of fertilizer. Too much chlorine can poison the soil and burn plants. If you ever spill swimming pool chlorine on your yard you will see this for yourself. If you do not treat this with gypsum it might be a long time before you have grass. The lower the percent of chlorine in a bag of fertilizer, the better. Most Chloride in a bag of Fertilizer is from Muriate potash and very cheap form of Potassium. Potassium Sulfate is a better source for Potash.