PDA

View Full Version : how i got started

fordsrule
05-29-2004, 07:38 AM
I started mowing my moms and dads lawn when i was 10. Then when I was 13 one of my dads friends found out i was mowing lawns so he told me about his next door neibhor who needed her lawned mowed so i started doing that lawn. Now im 14 and mowing 3 lawns. I bought a used Toro 38'' ride on lawn mower a 21'' mower, Both ran like new. I have one question though I need a weed wacker but i have a limited budget of $150 that i saved for buying a weed wacker. I was thinking of a Weed Eater Feather lite but my dad said I wouldnt like it. Any Ideas thanks in advance for any help.

Trevors Lawn Care
05-29-2004, 06:38 PM
first of all....

FORDS SUCK

Second of all....you would be fine with a weedeater like that. i have a homelite as a backup and after using a real weedeater like my Stihl i would hate to have to use the homelite on ANY lawn anyday of the week. If you can save up a couple more bucks buy a stihl...

Trevor

fordsrule
05-30-2004, 07:05 AM
First Thanks for the information Trevors Lawn Care.

second Whats wrong with Fords? (not trying to start a war)

Mark Lawncare
06-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Where are you in Mass? If you only doing three lawns you could use a cheap trimmer but if you plan on growing you will want a commercial trimmer.

fordsrule
06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm in the Worcester county area. I only need the trimmer to last until i can get my license and then i will get something more commercial grade.

TClawn
06-08-2004, 04:13 PM
fordsrule, save up and buy the best first because its going to cost you more in the long run. if you ever want to expand you'll have to buy a commercial trimmer anyway, so save up a little longer and get a really good machine that will last. take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

a shindaiwa t231 should be perfect for you needs

fordsrule
06-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the information. Buying a string trimmer has been put off until I can save up some more money to get a good commercial string trimmer.

mkwl
06-08-2004, 10:17 PM
My rule of thumb is never buy anyting that is not commercial (unless it is a backup).

DON'T buy a weed eater.

Keep saveing your money and get a Red Max.

I just got a Red Max BCZ2600S It is a fantastic machine!!!!!!!

dlandscaping
06-15-2004, 11:23 AM
what part of worcester county are you in, I want to know my competition. Get a straight shaft comm weedwhacker that can have attachments, removable shaft or w/e so later you can buy an edger, power broom, saw and bush trimmers for it. I am in central worcester.

fordsrule
06-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm not much competition considering and I'm only 14 and only mowing three lawns.:)

fordsrule
06-15-2004, 01:00 PM
I forgot to tell you were I am. I'm in Westborough.

chines63
06-20-2004, 06:22 AM
I have two weed=eater brand and I disagree with your dad. I will not use that other junk you call commerical. I don't have any trouble with either and I treat those two as workhorses(very hard duty)

fordsrule
08-29-2004, 09:14 AM
I think im going to buy a string trimmer this winter when they are a little cheaper. Im not sure what brand im going to get. Im still thinking about getting a Weed eater. If i get a weed eatre do you have any suggegstions to make them last longer than general maintannce?

meathead1134
09-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Go with an echo srm 210 trimmer. Don't get a curved shaft trimmer they suck expecially if your not tall your won't be able to reach under cars ect, ect, ect, I bought one earlier this year and sold it about a month ago I've got 1 srm 210 and its great start small and do a good job by the time your 16 you will me making decent money while your friends will be making minuim wage. I wish I started when I was 14 I'd have 10 years experience now .I'm 24 and this is my first year I've been able to purchase a 48 inch John Deere walk behind, a brand new roto tiller, just got my brand new echo 750 back pack blower the other day, and a bunch of other stuff

Hint: check out local yard sales for mowers just and Idea
btw i'm about and hour south of you :waving:

procut
10-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I had a weed eater Featherlie trimmer and ended up taking it back because the line would not advance. I also had a weed eater blower at one time and was not impressed. My recomendation is getting a Stihl or Echo. You could probably get a curved shaft model of one of theese around the $150 range.

fordsrule
02-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Well its been two years so heres an update of what I have now. still no weed wacker, I still have the toro ride on with a new 12hp motor. have a 6*8 trailer origanly 4*8 but widened it so we have more room.
I now have a truck but only have my permit. I can get my license before this summer so i dont have to have my dad drive me around. I am goin to try and find a weed wacker, and a newer trailer because the trailer we have now isnt all that great.

The truck is a Toyota pickup 1990 Ext. cab V6 5spd manuall 4x4 and a trailer hitch

Newbie07
02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
hey i just heard fordsrule got a new Toyota and it.........wait, stop it, wait hold on, you got a toyota! LOL :laugh: ha ha, only messing with you man, way to go, you have come a lond way, I think its cool that you posted on your old thread. Anyway, congrats, and I'd love to see pics of your custom trailer extension

Travis :waving:

bradd
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
upgrade to a walk behine it will get thos lawns cut faster and get a stihl i run to fs-62 outstanding power

fordsrule
08-31-2006, 08:06 PM
well its been a while and i got and update

I got my license in June I bought a 5x12 trailer along with a Gravely Pro 50 50" mower both together for $400
I still havent bought a trimmer ive been using my dads so im still looking for one ive looked at the Echo trimmers and i like them thats probably what i will end up buying
I still have the toro ride on just between my dad and I using it we some how wrecked the engine and we repalced it with a 12hp motor

I have a 21 inch push mower with a tecumesh engine that wont start. My grandfather asked me to drop it off with him and he cant seem to get it start. He cleaned the carb and put fresh gas in it but it wont start it starts with some ether but then it just dies, if anyone has any ideas on fixing it or should i just give up on it and buy a new one.

stuffdeer
08-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, if it starts with starting fluid, you have a gas problem. Somethings not getting gas.

Check the gas filter, and the whole gas lines.

Phil's Lawn Care
09-01-2006, 10:56 AM
How about a blower fordsrule??

fordsrule
09-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I havent really had a use for one just yet. I guess it would speed things up for when I have to get the grass of side walks. I dont really need it for leaves I just bag them with the lawn mower.

meathead1134
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
You'll need 1 for fall cleanups if you are planning to do them. My echo 750 has paid for its self time and time again

LONEMAN
09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Congrats on the truck. I have a '91 SR5 and I love it. If you still haven't gotten a trimmer yet, get a commercial grade. I started out with a weed eater and it was heavy and did not cut very well. I've been using a RedMax for a while now and it's the best trimmer I've ever used. I've also used various echo trimmers as well but I like the RedMax a lot better.

fordsrule
09-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks Loneman the trucks great. I'm still looking for a trimmer and am open for ideas I will look at the redmax trimmers soon.

wski4fun
09-06-2006, 04:47 PM
How many lawns now?

fordsrule
09-07-2006, 06:47 AM
I have 4 regular lawns and an extra if my brother doesnt mow the one he susposed to

out of the 4 regular lawns i do 2 are every week and 2 are every other week. I'd like to get more but I jsut do this on the weekend and when it rains its tough to make time during the week because of school and my involvment on the auxilary to the F.D.

cutter green
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
love my ford f150 4.2 v6 161,000 mi step side . pull small traler . trimer stihl. stihl. stihl...........

RedMax Man
09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm 17 and I run two RedMax trimmers, Bcz2600 & Bcz2400. I use 'em for everything from small lawn to 6ft. high brush with a Blade on it. They never let me down

I paid $250 for the 2400 & about $330 for the 2600 at Imperial Services in Billerica MA.

Good equipment is an investment that will make you money. Bad equipment will cost you in the long run. Save up and get the best you can.:waving:

corey1977
09-24-2006, 08:17 PM
save up $20.00 little guy and buy a sthil or a echo from home chepo