PDA

View Full Version : ultra spay questions

James Cormier
05-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Of course the day I have planned to spray a 500k industrial park my sprayer goes crazy.

Halfway through this morning, I noticed the left side drippling, SO I assume the screen is clogged, I get back to the truck and pull the tip off and clean it all out, start up and still no spray, just dripples. I shut off the right side and try to bleed the left side and hey it works, it starts spraying again, off I go.

Halfway down my first pass I look down and its drippling again, So I close that side, and spray back to the truck. For giggles I shut off the right side and turn the left on, it works, I shut off the left side and the right side works, So theres no clogging but both sides dont work together, but each side works alone.

Any Ideas? I know it the holiday weekend, I plan on looking at it on monday, I m guessing the pump is loosing power and cant get pressure to each side. I believe I have a spare pump in the shop.

TSM
05-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey Jim, the pump would be my guess as well. Or maybe the battery??
We use the perma green spray tanks that attach to any push spreader and they are powered by the same 12 volt battery that the ultra uses.

Of course the ultra recharges the battery as you use the machine. The batteries we use need to be pluged into the cigarette lighter to recharge them.

I find they can only be recharge a certain amount of times before they stop taking the charge and need to be replaced. A low powered battery will also cause the same problem as you describe.

James Cormier
05-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Any ideas on how long taht battery would last? I think that machine has 225 hrs on it.

My centri been sitting in the shop unused since last seasons lime treatments. I think that would have the same battery?

Would interstate battery sell that one?

Forever Green Lawn
05-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I've had the same thing happen with my PG's. Shut off one side and the other side will work. In all cases the pump was at fault. I have had some sucess in taking the pumps apart and cleaning the valves, but most times it needs to be replaced. I've rarely had electrical problems on the 5 units I own. The batteries can last a few years, just don't let them freeze.
Scott

TSM
05-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I agree that is most likely the pump.

the ultra will 'trickle' charge the battery as the motor runs, so it should last a long time. We have about the same hrs on our ultra unit. The centri's dont have the battery, the pump runs off the generator.(which is one of the reasons we dont like them, the generator seems to have problems as well, not to mention the belts tend to slip)

Our problem with batteries on the tanks we use is that perma green recomends that we charge the batery for 35 minutes after every 30 minutes of continuous use (we figure thats about two tank fulls or 6 gallons) but its hard to keep track. I'm sure we are over charging some batteries and under charging others.

You can get the battery at interstate battery. of course perma green will over nite a battery to you at the tone of $60 plus shipping. As i recall (i could be wrong) i think interstate sells them for about $45-50

LwnmwrMan22
05-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Worst part about working holiday weekends.... stuff always breaks, there's no one around to help you fix it, everyone's closed.

If you're lucky enough to have a "common" part break that you can run to a hardware store or something, well,.... I've never had that happen.

Usually end up slashing a tire, having a pump go out, breaking a belt, then finding one 50-100 miles away at some shop that a guy has in his garage, then have the dilemma of going to go get it, or just blow off another weekend of work, and then having it rain again when you get the thing fixed anyways. :)

James Cormier
05-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Monday night Ill put the new pump on and see how that works, I should have brought the centri and used that cause it does more sq ft with 8 gallons.

I love doing that industrial park, I get there around 6am, put on my work tunes headset and watch the sun come up over the industrial buildings. No cars No people.

I made a deal with my wife, If i ever work saturdays I must take a day off the next week during the week and take the kids somewhere. So where going into boston for the duck tours

James Cormier
05-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Put the brand new pump on today, still the same results, each side sprays fine on their own but right side dribles when both valves are open.

Battery seems fine cause it starts the machine just fine, I would figure it would have a hard time starting if it didnt have enough power to run the pump.

Anymore Ideas?

Guess I gotta call PG tuesday

TSM
05-31-2004, 02:41 PM
goog luck with that call....you know their gonna say its your fault!?! :)

Our centri units always gave us problems with the sprayer (havnt had a problem yet with the ultra...but i wont be shocked if we do develop a problem)
We use to have to bleed the lines very often.....sucks when you have weed control in the tank....but we'd bleed them at the venturi as each side was spraying. When ever we would shut one side off, then bleed, it never solved our problems, so we bleed with both sides open (now its a two man job, we'd put 3 gal. buckets over the jets to catch the spray then pour it back into the tank...not to mention the bleeding would cause weed control to get all over our shirts/arms)

good luck

grassguy_
05-31-2004, 04:57 PM
James,
check the caps on the top of the nozzles, I've had them tend to either get to tight or loosen, or even get debri inside the rubber seals and that will drastically effect the spray volume on either side. Also you might let them both run while your inline filters are off the nozzle so to continue to flush out anything that could be seated within the lines themselves. I've had the same problems before with the centri systems but they have tended to clear up by doing these few things. also try and swap out some venturi's and their rubber inserts, sometimes if their not seating right or any debri gets lodged around them it will effect their spray pattern big time. Good Luck and hope you had a nice Memorial Day. Just missed taking the Duck tour last summer when I was there , here it's a great time, hope to yet this year!

heritage
05-31-2004, 06:51 PM
James,
I agree with grassguy about the check valves having some debris in them. In addition to keeping them clean, and keeping the rubber caps over top of them to keep fert from jamming the center hole and not allowing valve to open/close smoothly I replaced the stock screens in the nozzle bodies with tee jet check valve screens. They open at I believe 7.5 PSI and balance out pressure at the nozzles better....and no drips. Oesco should have them in stock. I have not had the problem since installing them 100s of hours ago. Pull them out and clean them every so often and get a spare of two.
I would get a spare battery too for the ultra.

Pete D.

James Cormier
06-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Well this morning I took grassguy and heritage's advise and took all nipples, hoses apart and cleaned with compressed air. Put it all back together and still drips from one side.

I went out for prodo only spraying from one side ( half a lawn sprayed is better than none ) half way throught the day for giggles I opened the left side valve, and wow its working fine. Sprayed all day on both sides, funny how it took a 1/2 day to work it out?

Anyway it gave me a chance to get the old centri out of storage and get that ready for some work.

Whats the reason for the difference in sqft between the ultra and centri ? 32k vs. 64k

Is it the tips or pump, or both?

lawnservice
06-01-2004, 07:30 PM
tips plus the venturi

you cant just change the tips you also have to change the venturi....and dont forget the one in the tank itself on the centri.
you'll see the # 20 stamped on the centri unit venturi...and the # 10 on the ultra (or maybe its the other way around)

heritage
06-01-2004, 11:51 PM
James,
On some of the ULTRAS the unloader valve on the top of the tank was installed backwards and caused a higher pressure output which could be one reason why such a large difference between the output of the Ultra and Centuri. Another possabilty could be the belt to the generator is loose and thus pump is pumping less than it should.
On my CENTURI with the red floodjet nozzles on the bottom setting I am covering 48,000 Sq.Ft. per 8 gal. with a 15% overlap in high gear. When I had the ULTRA this spring with red nozzles in high gear I was only covering about 34,000 Sq.Ft. I think the voltage output is higher on the ULTRA. Mabey you could put a reostat between the pump and power source to lower pump output or change unloader valve so pressure output is lower.
I was so dissapointed with the new ultra this march I returned it with 5.5 hours on it. Check your unloader valve on centri vs. the ultra and see if they are in the same direction on return flow to tank. Some modifications will get you further with a gallon of spray.

Pete D.

James Cormier
06-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks Pete, the only thing I didnt like about the centri was the spyker spreader, I love the lesco hopper on the ultra but many things I dont like about new ultra as well.

Before I bought the ultra I was going to take the spyker off the centri and mount a lesco truckster, Instead I was convinced the ultra was the way to go.

That might be a good winter job.