PDA

View Full Version : 4 cylinder power

Qualey
05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Is anybody towing their skid steer with a 4 cyl. Mitsubishi or Isuzu? If so, how much does the machine and trailer weigh, and how safe does it feel? I have heard conflicting info from both sides. Dealer feels 6 cylinder is the only way to go (based on both wheelbase and weight), but other contractors feel the 4s are fine. Our heaviest trailer is ~15k

Matt

TREEGODFATHER
05-30-2004, 07:58 PM
You do realize that any trailer with a GVWR over 10,001# requires a Class A CDL, right?

AL Inc
05-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Are you talking about the cab overs or the little pick-ups?

Qualey
05-30-2004, 09:03 PM
"You do realize that any trailer with a GVWR over 10,001# requires a Class A CDL, right?"

Correct, but this really has no bearing on the trucks capability to pull the weight. And yes, this refers to the cabover trucks.

Thanks for the replies

TREEGODFATHER
05-30-2004, 09:32 PM
It does from a legal standpoint. If you get in a wreck while exceeding the GCVWR, you're in deep doo-doo insurance and DOT-wise.

To answer your question, I'd go with the bigger engine. It will work less hard to pull the weight, which will equal better economy in the long run and better longevity for the equipment.

If you're going to tow a 15K trailer, you'd better go with the 6.

(I'd love to see a little 4 cyl pickup towing a 15K trailer! :D )

gene gls
05-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Qualey:
I have a Mitsi 4cyl and its gutless. It complains with my 16' landscape trailer and 2 mowers + hand tools. Its also short on brakes when loaded.

Gene

D Felix
05-31-2004, 09:11 AM
You do realize that any trailer with a GVWR over 10,001# requires a Class A CDL, right?

No, it doesn't.

Here in Indiana, the CDL manual states that (going from memory here, but I'm right) any combination of truck and trailer with a GCVWR of 26,001 pounds requires a Class A CDL- PROVIDED that the trailer wieght rating is 10,001 pounds or more.

Simply put, I could pull an 18,000 pound trailer with my 1/2 ton truck and be legal without a Class A. I CANNOT pull a 12,000 pound trailer with an F-450 or F-550 and be legal though.

If it's being used for commercial purposes, you need a DOT number, and if you need a DOT number you also probably need (in Indiana, at least) a Chauffer's license, unless you are up in the CDL range.

Just because the trailer is rated 10,001 or more pounds doesn't make it necessary to have a CDL. I pull a 12,000 pound trailer on a daily basis behind an F-350 and I'm legal without a CDL....

This may, and probably does, vary by state.

Dan

TREEGODFATHER
05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
According to my MASS CDL book,

The only license class that allows towing a vehicle over 10,001# is a class A.

Class B and C both specify a towed vehicle UNDER 10,000.

The CDL laws supposed to be the same for all 50 states; it was the reason they came out with the systen in the first place,- to make it universal.

Oddly though, it doesn't specify anything for a class D. That may be where your F350 and trailer come in?

BTW, with your example, you'd still be illegal.

You said "Simply put, I could pull an 18,000 pound trailer with my 1/2 ton truck and be legal without a Class A. "

Remember your 1/2 ton has a rating, too. You'd be far exceeding any 1/2 ton's GCWR, and hence in violation of DOT regs.

I guess this could be the start of another thread?

:confused: :D

TREEGODFATHER
05-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Started a new thread.

Apologies Qualey for derailing this one!