PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Juniper Damage

GreenMonster
05-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey Northeast guys,

Obviously, most of you have also noticed extensive damage and/or death to many different varieties of juniper this year. I have noticed this as far south as NY city. Lots of brown in blue pacific, prostrate, sea green, and others.

Do you attribute this to the very cold & windy winter, with little snow cover as insulation?

Anybody nursing anything back to life with success?

mexiking
05-31-2004, 02:48 AM
yeah removing a lot of brown junipers with new oness

KenH
05-31-2004, 07:45 AM
Junipers, boxwoods, Alberta Spruce, and a few others took a beating this past winter.

AL Inc
05-31-2004, 11:01 AM
Yes, noticing lots of damage to cherry and skip laurels, also.

TREEGODFATHER
05-31-2004, 11:29 AM
I've noticed alot more than usual. I agree; the extreme cold we had and little snow probably didn't help much.

I've also noticed adelgid in alot more areas, too. Looks like it's still spreading.

mdb landscaping
05-31-2004, 01:13 PM
ya a bunch of the ilex's and junipers in my area took a beating too.

GreenMonster
05-31-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by TREEGODFATHER
I've also noticed adelgid in alot more areas, too. Looks like it's still spreading.

Sorry, don't know what that is. Can you elaborate?

Jb3NH
05-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Ditto on KenH's Reply.. ' got two seasons in new hampshirahh, wintahh. . N fourth of July ' coldest winter in 50 years

D Felix
06-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry, don't know what that is. Can you elaborate?
We don't have to deal with it too much down here, though it is around. I'm not sure I've even seen it, to be honest.

What Eric is referring to is wooly adelgid. From what I understand, it most commonly attacks hemlocks. There's probably other treatments, but the main one that I know of is a soil drench of Merit.

HTH.

Dan

ShadyTree
06-01-2004, 10:25 PM
They also have soaps and oil that they use for the wooly adelgid, the most common one used here are oils and if you spray early enough you wont cure it but you will prevent it from dieing and plus the oils last longer and protect it longer.

GreenMonster
06-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by D Felix

What Eric is referring to is wooly adelgid. From what I understand, it most commonly attacks hemlocks. There's probably other treatments, but the main one that I know of is a soil drench of Merit.
[/B]

Oh. Yeah, now I know what he's talking about. Lots of nurseries around here won't even sell canadian hemlock anymore.

Rtom45
06-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Merit used as a soil drench also works on adelgids.