PDA

View Full Version : Converting open to closed trailer

kc2006
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Has anyone converted an open trailer to a closed trailer? I was looking at closed trailers around here and at my buddies closed trailer for his race car. From what i saw all the trailers are just plywood inside with angle iron around the edges for strength and then aluminum sheeting on the outside.

I have a 14x7 trailer now and it would be easier if it were enclosed so i could leave everything in it but I'd live with buying a shed and putting everything in it at night if i had to instead of buying an enclosed trailer if this isn't possible to do. Pics would be good if anyone has done this too.

Rustic Goat
05-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Unless you have a secure place to park trailer at night/weekends/when you're away, an enclosed trailer should not be thought of as an equipment safe. Those that want to will get in, and plan for the opportunity if they see a trailer at a usual spot for long enough.

Converting the trailer - Unless you have a good (cheap) source for materials, buying an enclosed trailer is a much better idea.
Sub frame is usually built better in the first place too.

CT18fireman
05-31-2004, 08:44 AM
I built an enclosed "area" on a open trailer once. We took the front half of an 16 footer and enclosed it using the same methods. I have a metal shop next to me so i can get materials (alot was there scrap) for cheap. Came out pretty well. We used it for small materials and equipment, changing area, office, kind of a catch all on our install trailer. We still had room for our straw shooter and other equipment on the open rear.

I will see if I have a picture of it somewhere.

kc2006
05-31-2004, 10:30 AM
cool thanks.

Theres a place in town that had the aluminum and angle iron really cheap so materials aren't going to be that much plus i'd do all the work myself. i just wanted to see if it were possible and worth it or not.