PDA

View Full Version : How to keep dogs out of the beds.

Nova
05-31-2004, 02:04 PM
I have a customer who has two dogs and one of them loves to dig the crap out of the beds in the backyard, she also like to rip apart plants.

It's a small backyard with pool and patio, beds all around and a small 15ft x 15x patch of lawn. The lawn is already toast since they don't clean up after the dogs until I come, so there are black patches all over it.

Her main concern is keeping the dog out of the beds, is there anything we can use, maybe something to mix into the soil or a spray that will keep the dog out of the beds?

Ice_Gargoylle
05-31-2004, 07:36 PM
try a rodent repellant, or even shower soap or dish soap. we put a bar of shower soap in our flower beds to keep deer out, if it smells bad -they wont dig in there.

Randy J
05-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Master Gardner Jerry Baker has some interesting concoctions to keep animals away. I believe they involve human urine. :o

Randy

burnandreturn
05-31-2004, 09:21 PM
There is a product for horses called "no chew". it's for spraying on horse blankets and bandages. Spray that in there and they won't go in there.

D Felix
06-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Spread cocoa hulls as mulch. They will be in the beds for a day or two, but after that, they won't be around to enjoy it anymore.

I'M KIDDING, BTW!!!!

Have they thought about invisible fencing yet?

Dan

grassroots1993
01-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a customer who has two dogs and one of them loves to dig the crap out of the beds in the backyard, she also like to rip apart plants.

It's a small backyard with pool and patio, beds all around and a small 15ft x 15x patch of lawn. The lawn is already toast since they don't clean up after the dogs until I come, so there are black patches all over it.

Her main concern is keeping the dog out of the beds, is there anything we can use, maybe something to mix into the soil or a spray that will keep the dog out of the beds?

There is another way but it takes time. Every time the dog digs a hole put some of his poop in the hole cover it up. The dog will dig that hole until it reaches the poop, then it will dig some where else, do the same thing and so on.

LakeMurrayLawns
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Invisible fence is the only way to go. If you put anything in there that smells it will attract them to the bed, not repell them away.

Wolfie's L&L
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
We sell a product by the Liquid Fence brand for cats and dogs. You spray it and somehow it repels the animals away from the beds and plants. It has some kind of pepper concentrate or something in it that the animals will turn their nose at.

Jason

kipcom
03-02-2005, 06:06 AM
Moth Balls....works for cats and other small animals.

ProMo
03-02-2005, 09:11 AM
the lowes near me sells a product that says it repells dogs and cats

AssuredServicesCo
03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
I've read on some sites that dogs and cats hate ammonia. Since you probably wouldn't want to just pour it on your flowerbeds how about soaking some kitty litter in ammonia then placing it in a coffee can sunk half way down into the ground. If you shelter it a little it won't get wet by irrigation and may last a bit longer. Damn dogs...they tear up everything but you can't bear to get rid of them. I've got four.

old dog
03-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Liquid Fence is foul smelling and has garlic in it.It is excellent for deer,rabbits or such.
It comes in concetrate or ready mixed-watch out ,it is pricey!Check out a Lowe's
or your favorite full service garden center.Has the customer tried a rolled up newspaper
????!!!!People who do not clean up after their dogs irritate me.I won't do it for them
unless they pay a premium price!

PROCUT1
03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
I need to make a thread on How to keep dogs off the bed in the bedroom.......

LawnPerfect
03-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Black pepper has worked great for me.
Cannyane (sp?) pepper (powder) works just as well.

re-apply every week for two or so months. hasnt failed me yet.

old dog
03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Procut! Keep the darn door shut or sleep in the doghouse!

Green-Pro
03-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Bury some tacks where they are digging (dogs usually dig in the same spot) I assure you they will not want to dig there again. After they quit digging get a magnet at Menards, HD, Lowes, wherever. The kind roofers will use to pick up nails after tearing a roof off and putting new one on, it will look like a circle attached to the end of a long handle. Use this to pick up any loose tacks, btw it doesn't take a lot of tacks to solve this so just a few would do it, buried in the last spot the dog was digging.

-Geoff

rockandroller
03-07-2005, 06:01 PM
One of my customers wants me to try some kind of fencing or wire mesh to kep her dogs off some sod patching I'm doing. Just lay it on top. I also used chickenwire to keep rabbits out of the veggie garden last year. With this< I buried it a couple inches underground. Apparently they don't like the feel of the stuff on their feet.

old dog
03-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Probably barbed wire buried the same way would do it too.Just don't let the frost heave
the wire up for the mower to catch in a spring or two...