PDA

View Full Version : Taiwan Andromeda Shrubs

leadarrows
05-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Any one familiar with this plant? I need planting instructions. I did a Google and couldn't find any info on what conditions this plant requires.

D Felix
06-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Not familiar with a "Tiawan" variety, but could you be referring to a "Japanese" Andromeda? Pieris japonica is commonly known as a Japanese Andromeda. New foilage comes out a brilliant red color, lasting most of the season, then as it "ages" into the next season, turns green? White clusters of flowers ~1/4" in size in the spring?

If that is what you are referring to, there's not much to planting them. I don't have my Dirr book at home, but IIRC, they need slightly acidic soil, so some amendments could be needed. Full to part sun, again, IIRC. They can get big, upwards of 8 feet tall and around 6 feet wide, but that's why Felco is in business.:)

Try a search on Pieris and see what turns up.

HTH.

If you have a wholesale account, Brehobs sells them for around $18 in a 3 gallon, though I don't think they have any left right now.

Dan

michael13
06-02-2004, 04:05 PM
what is a dirr book?

Hamons
06-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Dirr S Hardy Trees And Shrubs -- a landscapers bible of sorts

leadarrows
06-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Thank you Dan just what I needed to know. :)

1MajorTom
06-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Michael Dirr is a professor of horticulture. He has written 10 or 11 books, and has published numerous articles and publications.