PDA

View Full Version : shrub removal

sgtm
05-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Hello Guys:

I have about 10 shrubs in the front of my house about 2.5 feet away from the foundation. The species are hollies and boxwoods, they are probably 20 years old. I had a guy tell me that I could use a bob cat and a chain to lift the shrubs. Is this an excellent idea? What are some things I should be aware of before I attempt this. It sounds better than removing each one with a shovel.

sgtm

BCSteel
06-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I usually use chains and my truck to pull up any dead shrubs. I have pulled out 12'arbs like that with no problems.

blafleur
06-01-2004, 01:07 AM
Dont know what kind of hollies you are talking about, but I have found that boxwoods come up easy with a shovel. But then, if you have a bobcat, then thats surely what I would use. Just keep in mind a bobcat may give you some lawn repair work to do.

Bryan

Ric
06-01-2004, 08:36 AM
I chain out shrubs all the time with a power lift, but not a skid steer like the Bobcat. Irrigation pipes and under ground wire is always a hassle. I also use a Dyno Digger Power shovel. Hollies can have wild root systems Dwarf Yupons or Ilex Schilling in particular. Be prepared to fix pipe and watch out for power lines.

D Felix
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
I have pulled out 12'arbs like that with no problems.
Part of the reason you had no problems was because of the shallow rooting. Arbs are probably among the shallowest rooting tree/shrubs there are. You could have probably pulled them over by hand...

If you have forks for the skidsteer, use those, then dig underneath the shrub with the forks. The shrubs should pop up/out without too much resistance. You could use a chain, just make sure to keep the attachment on the machine low, as skidsteers are fairly prone to tipping.

Another way that may be easier for you, if you are renting the machine, is to cut the shrubs out with a chainsaw, then grind the remaining stumps out with a stump grinder. We've done that several times in the last few months with good success.

HTH.

Dan

BCSteel
06-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by D Felix

Part of the reason you had no problems was because of the shallow rooting. Arbs are probably among the shallowest rooting tree/shrubs there are. You could have probably pulled them over by hand...
Dan [/B]

Ya, I know. Maybe he didn't.

Ice_Gargoylle
06-03-2004, 01:07 AM
1 sharp full metal spade should equal 1 day of work going solo. they wont be that bad to get out. holly roots cut pretty easy, boxwoods have some large roots but most of it is fine, just stick your butt into them and chop away bro.

Strawbridge Lawn
06-03-2004, 07:53 AM
I use a Grapple bucket on my RC-30. Loosen it and chjeck for hoses, wires or pipes then scoop it out. about 5 seconds!

Lombardi
06-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I don't know about the others, but I sure the heck would not want to spend a full day pulling out 10 shrubs with a shovel. Do as the others suggest, skidsteer and chain.

steve in Pa.
06-03-2004, 11:24 PM
We just pulled out two holley's in about 15 minutes with a chain and dump truck. Some of them come out easy others don't!!!!

o-so-n-so
06-05-2004, 09:02 PM
I use a Tractor with pallet forks atached to the loader. I slide the forks together and push them just under the root ball and pop them right out. Gets most of the roots.

If they are very large and I have no plans to plant something back in the same place....I cut and grind the stump...

O-O

EagleLandscape
06-05-2004, 11:48 PM
just get some tow straps and then hook the straps to the back of your truck. put it in 4wd, and stick it in first gear, and you will be fine. Pulled out about 15 boxwoods the other day in 40 minutes in front of my house. piece of cake.

NCSULandscaper
06-06-2004, 12:58 AM
i use kubota with 4 in 1 bucket

No chains to worry with snapping and causing major damage or injury

polecat63
06-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Do you peeps work in states that don't require utility notification? In Va, if I dig anywhwere and hit ANY utility (public utility, not irrigation and the like) I pay for damages. We have a utility marking service (and it's free) that will mark all utilities for you.