PDA

View Full Version : Too Late?

mpflood
06-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I was wondering if it is too late to use Trefflan in beds that i just handpicked for a new customer.
Im located in north jersey and will be following up with 3" hemlock mulch.This is a high end job so i dont want to end up picking or spraying most of the summer.
Ive heard the theory that most weeds will come from above the soil at this time.So i need some help
ty
Mike

Grassmechanic
06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
You can apply Treflan to the bed anytime weeds are expected to grow. I've applied it as late as Sept. and had good weed suppression well into the following spring. One word of advice: apply it AFTER you install the mulch.

tremor
06-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Pull the weeds that are up. Then treat. A few more weeds might arise that were already germinated but not fully up at the time of treatment. But overall, you won't be sorry.

mpflood
06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
For your replies
Preciate it:eek:

heritage
06-01-2004, 11:15 PM
MPflood,
Here is what rutgers says about treflan:

Trade Names: TREFLAN
Trifluralin is labeled for use in a wide range of trees,shrubs,groundcovers,herbaceous perennials,flowers, and bulbs. Sprayable and granular formulations are available. Effective for control of annual grasses and a few broadleaf weeds including chickweed. Perennial weeds will not be controlled. Performs best if applied under the mulch.

Why not use snapshot at the high label rate insted? It will prevent a wider range of weeds and grasses on your high end job. Sell the client bed maintenance and spray roundup pro at 2% rate on a monthly basis until October. The beds will look great and so will you. Thus far I have found a tank mix of gallery and barricade applied in april and august over the top prior to peak weed periods to work best........but I still need to apply roundup monthly to get those few weeds and grasses that still pop up to keep the beds spotless.

Pete D.

sprayman73703
06-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Just some other advice. Get it watered or mechanically worked in the soil as soon as possible! The sun will begin to reduce its effectivness very quickly! I have used it on thousands of acres of sesame seed and we learned the hard way. You could really tell the difference in control with length of time left in the sun. We even started spraying it and working it in all at night. Regardless it is still a great product and not too costly. Good luck.