PDA

View Full Version : Drainage

usg2949
06-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding a sump pump drain. I moved into a new house 4 months ago and had the sump pump drain buried. Well, here is my problem. They buried the line about 7 feet out from my house and now I have a section of my lawn that is constantly saturated with water. I realized yesterday that it has a nasty smell and itís extremely muddy. Just by observation, they didnít burry deep enough and not far enough away from the house. Any suggestion on what can be done to fix the problem besides ripping up the drain and starting over? Thanks again for your help.

NickN
06-01-2004, 01:48 PM
First,the drain should have either been left open or should empty into a catch basin large enough to hold the water until it can be absorbed into the soil.
Second,it should have been installed alot further away from the home than 7 feet.
The water has to have some place to go,either directly out of the pipe or into a a container that will allow it to seap into the ground.
If there is alot of water being pumped out,then an open pipe or pop up should be used to divert the water away from the foundation.
I'd recommend installing more drain tile to get the water further away from the home and install a pop up at the end so the water can exit the pipe and evaporate and/or flow somewhere where the water won't cause any problems.

D Felix
06-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Yeah, what he said!:D

Another possibility that I've run into is the drain could have been installed incorrectly, with it sloping towards the house. If there happens to be a connection in the pipe where the wet spot is, that could be the culprit. The only solution is to put a new one in the correct way.

Dan

usg2949
06-02-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will work on it this week.