PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Sprayer from Home Depot???

EagleLandscape
06-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Anyone know anything about the RoundUp brand backpack sprayer from Home Depot. They've got them onsale right now. Are these things pieces of junk. I've just got those little 3 gallon ones you tote around, but I've got to kill over 1000 sq ft of bermuda in my side yard so I can lay down st augustine next week.

I don't know about dropping money on a Lesco one, how much are those anyways?

Thanks.

walker-talker
06-01-2004, 01:45 PM
A little 3 gallon one is enough to kill 1000 sq ft of bermuda.....easy. How many gallons is the one at home depot and how much does it cost?

cincymower
06-01-2004, 01:57 PM
I'll never buy another round-up brand sprayer. I went through three of the $20 2-gallon ones last year, none lasted more than a month before the nozzle got screwed up. I bought a metal hudson this spring, so far so good.

ElephantNest
06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Get the Solo 4 gallon sprayer, I had one last me over ten years, actually, still have it, but it needs repair. Just bought the 425D Solo and love it. The "D" is for Deluxe, don't think this link is for the D, but you can shop around on google and find it at a good price.

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A57724.htm

Cutters Lawn Care
06-01-2004, 10:02 PM
I bought a Round Up brand sprayer last year. Didn't last too long. It was a 4 gallon backpack and I think I paid 70 for it. It was hard finding replacement parts for it. It is made by Monsanto. I now have 2 solo backpack sprayers and they have held up. I can get replacement parts for these at the local lesco store. I also just purchased a Echo backpack sprayer. In my opinion it is built much better than the solo and was very comparable in price.

Envy Lawn Service
06-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, personally I never had any luck with the Hudson sprayers. The pumps always go bad on me. I bought a 2 gallon Round Up sprayer early last year. It has lasted for me despite the fact I have really mistreated it. A few days ago it started this stupid thing with the nozzle. For some odd reason it does not want to stop spraying immediately after I let off. But it only does this when the tank pressure is low?

I dunno. I've been considering Echo, Solo and ShurFlo backpacks.
But I was kinda unsure if any of them were worth a hoot.

bam
06-01-2004, 11:00 PM
spend the money and get a good lesco.solo backpack. lesco has all the parts to rebuild. I rebuild our sprayers when needed, and have some over 6 years old now.

EagleLandscape
06-01-2004, 11:18 PM
how much do they run?

EagleLandscape
06-01-2004, 11:29 PM
The 425 has a piston pump, and the 475 has a diaphragm pump. I know diaphragms can wear on out sprinkler valves... so is the 425 better then?

Originally posted by ElephantNest
Get the Solo 4 gallon sprayer, I had one last me over ten years, actually, still have it, but it needs repair. Just bought the 425D Solo and love it. The "D" is for Deluxe, don't think this link is for the D, but you can shop around on google and find it at a good price.

http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/A57724.htm

GLS
06-01-2004, 11:35 PM
We have 2 lesco backpack sprayers. They run about $90. Made by solo (I assume, it's the exact same sprayer).

RjCjR
06-02-2004, 01:00 AM
jwingfield2k - are you looking for a one-time use, throw-away sprayer? that would be my first question.

why spend more than $25 and have it just sit in the corner of the garage?

on the other hand, you should get a sprayer from a place that's close and keeps parts in stock. diaphragms weaken, nozzles chip or break, things leak!

I use a 4gal Shindaiwa backpack. just under 100 bucks like the other commercial brands. I like it a lot! In fact, I've been using this thing to treat lawns (with w/c) up to 10,000 ft2. Properties any larger - i'll pull a hose for.

KenH
06-02-2004, 06:23 AM
This might sound foolish, but here it goes.

I previously owned 4 Solo backpacks...(still have them). I needed a new dedicated roundup sprayer last year, went to HD with full intention of buying another Solo, but they were out. Purchased a RU sprayer.......been using it for 1 year and it has actually saved me money. I use ALOT less chemical with this sprayer, basically 60% less. Im not sure if it the low pressure, or the droplet size, but Im sticking with it for RU, because that chem. is not cheap.

BladeRunner1967
06-02-2004, 07:15 AM
Home Depot does not have "sales". It is their everyday low price just advertised most likely. I will look up the cost for ya and let ya know.

LawnJohn
06-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Get the RU sprayer.. I love it.. Haven't had a problem yet.

Hamons
06-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else have a problem runninig around a yards witha abckpack sprayer that says Round-up great big on the back of it. I would be afraid of the image it would portray.

I u se SP backpacjks and hudson cans, Had the same original ones for years.

ElephantNest
06-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
The 425 has a piston pump, and the 475 has a diaphragm pump. I know diaphragms can wear on out sprinkler valves... so is the 425 better then?

My old one is diaphram, VERY hard to work on, but it did last a long time. My new is is the piston, so far, so good, no complaints, and I figure the piston should last longer.

workaholic
06-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Sure-FLO Pro Pack the only way to go 4 gallons capacity battery operated. no more questions asked. set you back 185.00

Etlawn
06-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Im with work aholic on this one.....The battery operated pack is great and the battery last a long time...There is also 4 setting for pressure on it and it is great...If you are not looking to spend quite that much I would recommend Solo simply for the availability of the parts.
hope this helps

ArizPestWeed
06-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Hey
I know B/P sprayers
I used 4 Solos for 2 years and they leak through the lid .
I could make them stop for 4-5 weeks and then , leaks.

I bought the first two Shurflos that hit Az last fall and they leaked .
I sent them back to the factory 3 times and they redesigned the hose connection , so , now they don't leak .

I owned 2 Echos 100 . Excellent .

When my Shurflos were in the hospital getting fixed , I discovered SP Sprayers .
I now have 4 SP and 2 Shurflos

SP is best by far .
The SP 1 , I think , has 180 psi.
The SP 3 have 150 psi .

Please try the SP , you'll love them