PDA

View Full Version : what should i charge?

Billpa
06-01-2004, 05:43 PM
I was curious what you guys would charge if bidding on this job.

I have a lady that's a little out of touch with the world that I mow for and she has this overgrown row of Forsythia measuring 90ft x 21ft wide x 13ft tall she asked me the other day what I would charge to get rid of them so I've been searching some of the old post and trying to figure out how long this might take,,, don't know?

We have a lot of people that work for next to nothing around here:angry: so I can't charge what some on this site might due to my area but I also won't do it for a six pack like some would in this town :)

I read a few old post and it looks like a lot of people use their trucks to pull them or a skid steer, I'm thinking of renting one rather than beat my truck up.

She's cheap so she asked if I could cut them to the ground and let the roots in (yes I did tell her they'll grow back ) so I think I'll try to give her a price for both pulling them and just hackin em off.

Setting aside dump fees what do you think would be reasonable for the time end of this? It's a level lot and easy access if that helps.

thanks

BCSteel
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Thats a he!! of a mess. I have no idea, sorry.

I cant see how this would beat up your truck though if you used it to pull them out. On the other hand if you cut them out then in a couple of years you could charge her to do the whole thing over again.

Billpa
06-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah it's a mess all right :) I think the've been growing for at least ten years without a trimming, rarely do I come across a 21' wide hedge row:eek:

I wasn't sure how tough the roots system would be on souch an overgrown beast so that's what scared me away from using the truck.

That's a good idea on doing them again but knowing her she'd wait another ten years to do it!! there even growing into the main road :rolleyes:

thanks

rmartin
06-01-2004, 07:26 PM
you need to come up with some type of hourly rate and go from there. If you are going to rent a skid steer you are looking at at least 200 for the day plus fuel. Hourly charge is your best way to go if you dont want to lose your shirt.

D Felix
06-01-2004, 07:51 PM
My suggestion would be a mini-excavator with a thumb attachment to remove the stumps.

Call a tree service and get a quote from them on removing the shrubs. That takes care of the removal and disposal; they cut then chip and dispose of them.

You can then dig out the stumps with the mini-ex and dispose of those. I would figure in the cost of a dump trailer.

You are probably looking at a minimum of 3 dumps to get rid of stumps, maybe 4-5. It's going to be an all day project for you to remove the stumps....

I probably gave you enough info to get started on pricing, HTH.

Dan

ShadyTree
06-01-2004, 09:34 PM
We charge 400 a day for a loader and i can see you being there for atleast 2 days to take everything out of there. So thats 800 there, we have 16 ft dumps and probably take atleast 6 or more trucks out of there with a 100 every time u dump the brush so 600 plus 2 men at 35 to 40 an hour, 8 hour days and two days thats 32 hours which it 1000 to 1200 dollars plus re gradeing the soil. Thats a lot of work, right now im at 2600. I can see the job being atleast 3500 to 4000. Good Luck....

fishman644
06-01-2004, 10:10 PM
the way it sounds she doesnt want to pay what the job is worth. if it were me i would bid it high and then you wont have to worry about it because she wont want it done and you wont lose your a$$. if you do do the job , pulling them out with the truck shouldnt be a problem once you get the first one out then there will be room for the remaining ones to pull out easy. dont hell slam them just give small firm tugs , they will come out.

Billpa
06-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, very informative.

yeah I'm guessing I'll have to just cut them off, she'll never pay me what it's worth to get the stumps out. this lady doesn't even live at the house, she lives about two hours away and from what i understand it was her fathers house. it was for sale by owner about five years ago but she gave up, won't even pay a realtor to sell it she'd rather pay taxes on it and let it fall apart :)

i do kinda need the money and if i don't do it some buddy else will probably come in and take the mowing away from me as well, i'm hoping i'll be able to be a little more selective with my customers next year, it's gettin better every year though.

I just came back from an estimate for lawn and bed maintenance,,, very nice property, says it was featured in a gardening magazine back in 96.. Anyway she said the last guy took care of it for $10 hr!!!! mowing and all, she was very nice though and understood I couldn't do it for that price. man, these guys must like working for free around here.

thanks again

ShadyTree
06-02-2004, 01:46 AM
Thats unreal.....10$$ an hour, that person must have a big overhead. Good Luck with everything Billpa

Boston
06-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Price your work ,@ a rate that your happy to do your best work,dosent matter what anybodys price is when it comes to your work.

Billpa
06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
o yeah $10hr that's big money :)

I just lost a lawn two weeks ago that I have been doing for several years, one of the first customers I had. I know it wasn't the work because she would tell me every week how pleased she was and each fall she'd tell me how much she hoped I would return next year, glad to see me in the spring and so on. anyway some kid is going to do it now for $10 with a 21" mower and I would guess it will take him about 1.5 hrs to do it, he'd make more money at McDonalds. that's the way it is around here, some one was advertising they'd beat anyone's price by so many percent and when you have people already charging 10hr that's just insane.

like I said though things do get better each year for me and some people here do remain loyal when they see that they're getting there money's worth so I think it'll work out in the end if I keep at it, all I can say is at least I'm not in a situation where I have to accept those $10hr jobs, there was a time though not all to long ago when it was sit at home or take a few to keep food on the table

roadhawg3
06-02-2004, 09:59 PM
at least $50 an hour